Cheap Merc 'Mech

Pages: 1
Venom
09/26/06 02:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is a Low Cost 'Mech that any merc unit would buy.

CNS-1T Conscript

Tonnage: 70
Movement:

Walk: 4
Run: 6
Jump: -

Armor: Standard
Armament:
ER PPC
ER Large Laser
6 Medium Lasers
SRM-6
Communications: O/P 3000 COMSET
Targeting and Tracking: O/P 1500 ARB

Equipment
Component Tons
Internal Structure Standard 7
Engine 280 16
Double Heat Sinks 15 5
Gyro 3
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor 216 13.5

Armor
Section I.S. Armor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 22 32
Center Torso (R) 11
R/L Torso 15 23
R/L Torso (R) 7
R/L Arm 11 22
R/L Leg 15 30

Weapons & Equipment
Section Loc. Crit. Tons
ER PPC LT 3 7
ER Large Laser CT 2 5
5 Medium Laser RT 5 5
SRM-6 RT 2 3
Ammo(SRM) RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
Medium Laser H 1 1

Overveiw:
With battlemech prices sky-rocketing during the clan invasion, mercenaries were often forced to either buy barely functional obsolete units or to buy incredibly expensive 'mechs whose survivability was limited by XL engines. Federated 'Mech Works, seeing the possibility for profits designed and built a low-cost mech that could act in almost any role and would be attractive to mercenaries. To start with they decided that a heavy 'mech would be best, as it offered the compromise between speed and toughness. They wrapped the skeleton in as much armor as possible so it could take a beating from Clan weapons. For its own arsenal, the designers went with an energy weapon bias as one of a mercenary companies biggest expense is ammo. Advanced weapons are the main power of the Conscript's armament, with an ER PPC in one torso and an ER Large Laser well protected in the center of the 'mechs chest. The Consript shines at close range where its plethora of medium lasers and SRM can be brought into play. The SRM ammo is protected by CASE, allowing the Conscript to continue fighting after an ammo explosion.

Variants:
Options to the standard model include removing all six of the medium lasers and the SRM system in favor of five medium pulse lasers. This variant is actualy cheaper than the standard version. However, most warriors prefer the more dangerous standard design. Raising the price is the -3T model. It replaces the five torso-mounted mediums with four ER mediums, replaces the head mounted medium with an ER Small and upgrades the SRM to a Streak launcher, which guarantees the most bang for the ammo buck. This version is just shy of seven million c-bills, a bargain in this age of war. There are rumors that the AFFC is looking at a more expensive version to bolster their forces. It is rumored to have an XL engine.
KamikazeJohnson
09/26/06 08:21 PM

What's the price tag on this?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Venom
09/27/06 12:22 AM

6,745,374 C-bills for the standard, about 6.5 for the first variant and 6.9 for the second. For comparison purposes, a level one Warhammer is a little over 6 mil.
Greyslayer
09/28/06 06:12 PM

Overall a nice unit. No endosteel or ferro so mercs don't have to carry a large mismatch of armours and internal structures to keep the unit in top shape.
Venom
09/28/06 07:26 PM

Yeah, I try to design my 'mechs with logistics in mind. I also tend to group weapons by range to maximize the heat sink efficiency. I always have long-range weapons with enough heat sinks to deal with their heat and a close range punch that uses about the same number of heat sinks.
Greyslayer
09/28/06 08:08 PM

I tend to prefer a just a little bit more than enough for either. It allows me to make use of damage profiles where heavy weapons are still the best but other weapons start coming into play (for example a unit low on ammo dropping one lrm15 launcher and firing 2 mediums at about 6 hexes on certain mechs).
Venom
09/28/06 10:09 PM

I personaly don't use LRMs very much in my designs. I realy could never bring myself to take up ten tons for something that has the possiblity of only doing 6 damage. I never use 5 of 10 racks either. On a small 'mech the tonnage can be used in so many better ways.

I typicaly will use all types of medium and large lasers, ppcs, streak SRM-6s, ac-5/10/20(standard, ultra and once in a while an LB), gauss rifles occasionaly and every now and then I use an ATM rack. Small SRM racks, LRMs, MRMs and most of the house tech never realy appealed to me. That is just my personal preferance as to what I want on my 'mech.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6167

Contact Admins Sarna.net