PNT-11FC Cougar

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
01/13/03 08:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Combine was right to tremble when Chancellor Candace Liao signed the Kittery Peace Accords with First Prince Hanse Davion in 3027. The Draconis Combine was caught between two allies who were almost certain to seek a stellographic connection in the near future, and they wouldn't be going through Capellan or Free Worlds space.

However, the Draconis Combine was tougher nut to crack then expected, and a larger lump to swallow than Hanse Davion and Katrina Steiner might've hoped. After successfully occupying the Combine's immensely important Dieron Military District and large chunks of the Buckminster and Prosperina Prefectures, the Federated-Commonwealth Alliance was almost choking on its vast conquests. True, it had destroyed over half the DCMS and taken the bulk of the Combine's mech factories, but garrisoning those worlds and making good military losses was straining the Alliance.

Even as the Lyran-Suns union moved forward with the birth of Victoria Steiner-Davion, the military leaders of both nations were looking to bolster the strained militias. The conquered Combine worlds provided the solution in the form of an inexpensive, effective chassis. Cutting edge technology turned the mech into something that could actually be deadly in combat, particularly in numbers.

The Star League-originated, Combine-improved Panther was redesigned by a team of Lyran, (former) Kuritan and Davion engineers (emphasis on the first two - the Davions just provided buckets o' cash for the project, no matter how often they waved their sliderules around). Using a larger engine, a 180 GM (<--in use by the perversely popular Blackjack and captured Vindicators) derated to 175, and the cutting edge "freezer" heat sinks, the Panther received a 25% increase in ground speed, a 30m increase in jumping range, and much better heat dissipitation (sp?). To minimize the implied relationship to the signature Combine mech, the redesigned Panther was dubbed the "Cougar."

The PNT-11FC Cougar was produced in prodigious numbers and shipped to militias by the company. Its successors, the PNT-12FC and PNT-14FC, would (ironically) find themselves defending an (ungrateful) Luthien from the Blood Spirit/Snow Raven attack of 3051.

PNT-11FC COUGAR
35 tons
3.5 tons
7 tons 175 GM
....Walking: 5
....Running: 8
....Jumping: 5
0 tons 10 DHS (RA, 2 RT)
2 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
7 tons armor
....Head: 3 9
....CT: 11 15/6
....RT/LT: 8 11/5
....RA/LA: 6 12
....RL/LL:8 13
7 tons PPC (RA)
2 tons SRM 4 (CT)
1 ton ammo (RT)
2.5 tons Jump Jets (CT, RT/LT)

VARIANTS
The PNT-12FC stands out most notably for its use of ferro-fibrous armor and CASE. With slightly thickened leg armor and much improved ammo protection, the PNT-12FC was a popular production model and refit kits were distributed throughout the resurrected Star League. Most subtlely, the PNT-12FC standardized many of its subsystems with those available throughout the Federated Commonwealth and became much beloved by quartermasters. The PNT-14FC was introduced in 3048 to demonstrate the recovered ER PPC. It differed significantly in the cockpit (which, like the Hatchman, featured a fully detachable head) and the redesigned gyroscope. Between the new Hellstar ER PPC (replacing the old Lords Light PPC), cockpit, and gyroscope, the 3048 Cougar was redesignated PNT-14FC.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
01/13/03 09:15 PM

Impressive little mech. Why not MLs? (per the Wolfhound, unless you un-created that.)

With that out of the way, on to the real post.
0. What are you, the alternate-history-of-the-month-club? Not that I mind at all, of course.

1. Did Max have another run-in with a certain wooden frame architect, or was his downfall from something more pedestrian?
2. What happened to the FWL? Is it somewhat at peace, or was it simply bypassed? Will there be a FWL-targeted War of 3039?
3. "Blood Spirit/Snow Raven" Tell me I didn't hear that right. What, did all the strong Clans keel over when they saw the latest Blood Spirit fashions? Or did Snow Raven just bombard them into oblivion?
4. Speaking of which: why didn't CSR bombard Luthien into oblivion? Unless you're about to trot out the Grade A bang-bangs again.
5. If the X and Ys got mixed up...will we see a devious Kevin? A naive Yves? A hotheaded-then-reclusive Petra? Does this swapping extend to the Combine?
6. Is Patrick Kell still kicking? (and here I prove my total lack of WD knowledge) Are the Dragoons still working for Takashi?

And, the number one question...
WHICH CLAN GETS WHUPPED IN THE LYRAN CORRIDOR?
And can Hanse lay off the hot wings?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
01/14/03 06:55 AM

In reply to:

Impressive little mech. Why not MLs?

Because it's a Panther. Panthers have PPCs and SRM 4s.
In reply to:

1. Did Max have another run-in with a certain wooden frame architect, or was his downfall from something more pedestrian?

Pedestrian + car with mysteriously failed brakelines. It was tragic.
In reply to:

2. What happened to the FWL? Is it somewhat at peace, or was it simply bypassed? Will there be a FWL-targeted War of 3039?

The FWL's helping the CC and DC corner the FC in the High Council over referendums on planetary self-determination. Hanse really doesn't want those because he knows he'll lose the Chesterson Commonality back to the Confederation.
In reply to:

3. "Blood Spirit/Snow Raven" Tell me I didn't hear that right. What, did all the strong Clans keel over when they saw the latest Blood Spirit fashions? Or did Snow Raven just bombard them into oblivion?

I guess we didn't read the same (alternate) Field Manuals. Blood Spirit's rigorous training paid off in the trials to determine who would be an invading Clan - no one's seen so many head shots in one trial before, and the motion in the Grand Council is to ban the Blood Spirits from putting TCs and pulse lasers on the same mechs. And Snow Raven...well, something sneaky was going on there.
In reply to:

4. Speaking of which: why didn't CSR bombard Luthien into oblivion? Unless you're about to trot out the Grade A bang-bangs again.

Because CSR wouldn't be that sneaky and underhanded. After seeing what Wolf did to Maersk on Rasalhague, you'd expect a Clan like the Wolves to bombard from orbit, but not the Snow Ravens. And again? When did I last trot out the nukes?
In reply to:

5. If the X and Ys got mixed up...will we see a devious Kevin? A naive Yves? A hotheaded-then-reclusive Petra? Does this swapping extend to the Combine?

With regards to the last question: if I said, 'no, but nothing else changes,' it'd be awfully revealing of how deep my mind is in the gutter, wouldn't it?
In reply to:

6. Is Patrick Kell still kicking? (and here I prove my total lack of WD knowledge) Are the Dragoons still working for Takashi?

Eh. (Shaking the magic eight ball). No and No.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
01/14/03 02:04 PM

Because it's a Panther. Panthers have PPCs and SRM 4s.
Which, according to the TRO, is why they lose to Wolfhounds. Then again asking for too much sanity in mech design is like asking for fewer 20th century advances magically appearing as new tech in BT.

Pedestrian + car with mysteriously failed brakelines. It was tragic. Or maybe it was Katherine's hand from within the womb. Wait, bad picture.

The FWL's helping the CC and DC corner the FC in the High Council over referendums on planetary self-determination. Hanse really doesn't want those because he knows he'll lose the Chesterson Commonality back to the Confederation. {here I'm again revealing the holes in my knowledge} Is this the same Hanse who brutally crushed the Skye revolt? Also, it'd seem to me to be foolish (and thus un-Hansey, let alone un-Katrina-y) to reform the Star League without first creating a third FC vote.

I guess we didn't read the same (alternate) Field Manuals. Blood Spirit's rigorous training paid off in the trials to determine who would be an invading Clan - no one's seen so many head shots in one trial before, and the motion in the Grand Council is to ban the Blood Spirits from putting TCs and pulse lasers on the same mechs. And Snow Raven...well, something sneaky was going on there. Yeah, I mean they're so close to rational design with the ERLL/LRM-15 combo...LPLs wouldn't be hard to see. I give you that. But ISTR that numbers *did* count for something. {Then again, this is the Clans...}
I assume CSR dug up some dirt on the Jags? ...Leo Showers is actually the cousin's brother's aunt's grandaughter's nephew of Sarah McEvedy?

And Snow Raven...well, something sneaky was going on there. and Because CSR wouldn't be that sneaky and underhanded.. OK.

Because CSR wouldn't be that sneaky and underhanded. After seeing what Wolf did to Maersk on Rasalhague, you'd expect a Clan like the Wolves to bombard from orbit, but not the Snow Ravens. And again? When did I last trot out the nukes? Last part first: the last time you had Hanse whupping on the Clans. Or perhaps the IPC (did they even bother with nukes?). I'm sure New California wouldn't think twice.

After seeing what Wolf did to Maersk on Rasalhague, you'd expect a Clan like the Wolves to bombard from orbit, but not the Snow Ravens. This part I'm lost in the woods in. More alternate sourcebooks?

With regards to the last question: if I said, 'no, but nothing else changes,' it'd be awfully revealing of how deep my mind is in the gutter, wouldn't it? *hack*cough*choke* Duuuuude. Warn me first! Do Morgan and Alexsandra get in on this too?

Eh. (Shaking the magic eight ball). No and No. Which brings up Yorinaga and, hmm, Minobu? (let alone Akira and the post-Minobu defectors).
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
01/14/03 02:05 PM

And, what about the Official Lyran Punching Bag question?
Let alone the hot wings...
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/16/03 02:15 PM

You do know that the Falcons have a mech called the Cougar right?

You may want to use another feline name for the mech like Cheetah or Wildcat.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
01/16/03 05:20 PM

>>>You do know that the Falcons have a mech called the Cougar right?<<<

Chances are, in Cray's timeline, they didn't.

Especially when the Cougar was originally created.

I mean, the FedCom probably hadn't even HEARD of the Falcons then.

>>>You may want to use another feline name for the mech like Cheetah or Wildcat. <<<

Cheetah?

Well, it's not very FAST, which is pretty much the defining characteristic of a Cheetah.

Wildcat? Hm. That's a good one.

Personally, I'd go for "Alley Cat," as that's a name already intimately associated with the Panther.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
01/16/03 05:21 PM

No reason. I just do.

Though that Victoria Steiner-Davion/Omi Kurita thing could be very, very interesting.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
CrayModerator
01/17/03 05:26 AM

We've been over this before: if FASA/Fanpro already uses it, so what? It wouldn't be the first time.

The name stays. No one's going to confuse this mech with the Clan namesake.

Karagin
01/17/03 04:00 PM

If you say so...but as you said we've been over it and there has been noted confusion in the past.
Karagin

NathanKell
01/17/03 09:17 PM

From whom?
If I may, of course.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/17/03 09:49 PM

Different folks in the past have complained about the reusing of names by FASA, like the Behemoth, and some have stated that the confusion to new players has lead to some thinking the tank was to be used versus the mech.

Hence the idea to avoid re-using names of current mechs to keep the confusion down.

If Cray wants to use the name then he really needs to explain WHY it's called a Cougar, I know he is using it in an alternate universe, but the idea that someone just getting into the game can confuse his Cougar for the Clan one.

As I said there are other cat names not used that would fit the mech just as nicely as the name he picked.
Karagin

Apoc
01/18/03 04:31 AM

No one's mentioned, but perhaps Tiger or Jaguar? But again, i's hits universe. Who's to say the Clans created a Cougar the alternate reality.
Karagin
01/18/03 10:40 AM

I agree, but given how a lot of folks don't notice the alternate part, seen it happen with a few of my Co-Alliance mechs, they tend to go off of the name alone, thus a newbie would think Clan and then be in for a surprise when tries to use it...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
01/18/03 10:54 AM

>>>I agree, but given how a lot of folks don't notice the alternate part<<<

Well, then they didn't read the fluff. It's all saying "Wow. Something FREAKY is going on here..."

MadWolf
01/18/03 03:57 PM

Maybe if you know that your reuseing a name you can put a little note ooc at the bottom of the post. This would simply solve alot of problems.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Karagin
11/03/05 01:28 AM

I had the chance to give this one a spin in a small game. We took random mechs from a pile I printed out. This one came up.

It did really well and was finial dropped by a Reseen Griffin with a head shot and crit kill of the cockpit.
Karagin

Karagin
12/25/06 11:49 AM

Right and how many times have you pointed out the reusing of name...
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/25/06 05:05 PM

Quote:

Right and how many times have you pointed out the reusing of name...

Over and over and over again. (Get it? Har!)

And this is some exceptional thread resurrection. In another month not only would this thread would be 4 years gone, but you resurrected it without adding anything new to the name reuse debate. You made your points before, I made points before, and so on.

Karagin
12/25/06 09:29 PM

Points made, actually how many points do we have?

Is it sorced like tennis or like say cricket?
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9805

Contact Admins Sarna.net