Rotary LB 5-X Autocannon

Pages: 1
novakitty
03/06/02 11:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Inspired by an innocent question, this device is maniacle and may need advice to make it balanced. It is An Inner Sphere level 3.125 tech weapon.

Designed by and for fans of the Rotary Autocannon and the LB-X autocannon, this device combines the firing rate of the rotary Autocannon with the cluster ammunition of the LB-X autocannon.

Stats:
Tonnage: 10
Crits: 7
Heat: 1/shot (max of 6)
Damage: 1/pellet (5 pellets per shot, max of 6 shots a round)
Range:
Short: 6
Medium: 12
Long: 18
Ammo: 20 rounds per ton.

meow
Bob_Richter
03/06/02 11:53 PM

Heh. Increase the jamming chances, that should help balance it.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Hellbringer
03/07/02 12:33 AM

Your suggestion is a good governer, but is there any real reason why an LB-X Rotary Cannon would be more likley to jam than a regular rotary autocannon?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Nightward
03/07/02 12:44 AM

Sure. Shape of the round. The explosive charges needed to propel the LB slivers has a tendancy to get stuck in the rifling of the gun barrel.

I don't know much about ballistics, but that makes sense to me. Karagin will know for sure.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
novakitty
03/07/02 11:09 AM

So the consensus is that it should be a little easier to jam when using cluster ammo (3 or less on double fire, 4 or less on quad fire and 5 or less on full firing), am I right?
meow
CrayModerator
03/07/02 11:18 AM

LBX fires pellets, not slivers, probably in cannisters that burst after release. Even shotguns often use plastic sabots to get the pellets out of the barrel.

Yes, Novakitty, an increased jamming chance should do fine though...though...

This might be a chance to try another RAC-balancing idea I heard (from Bob?): the LBX RAC can operate in double, triple, and quadruple firing modes rather than double, quadruple, and sextuple. Use that with the normal RAC chance of jamming and it might be balanced, too.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/07/02 11:55 AM

So I take it that when using the LB-X ammo it get's the -1 to the to hit roll?

Interesting idea.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
SpudmanWP
03/07/02 04:44 PM

Here is a real-life cluster round that is used in the 105mm arty round used by the US Military. I trained on the 105 tank version (M494 APERS-T) round in the M1. In Korea, it is lovingly called "Mowing the Grass" when they engage suspected infiltration on the DMZ.

Here is a Jane's article about the IMF using the tank version against hidden units.
SpudmanWp
"The breakfast of champions is not cereal..... it's the competition.
Hellbringer
03/07/02 04:51 PM

I think that any vehicle mounting these for anti-air purposes should be called a sky-sweeper. This, of-course, plays off of street-sweeper, the slang term used for automatic shotguns
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Karagin
12/28/06 12:23 AM

Now this is something that would make life interesting for battlearmor and infantry and death for vehicles...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7376

Contact Admins Sarna.net