Rule suggestions I typed

Pages: 1
NewPharoah
10/26/06 12:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The following rules are suggestions and have not been made official by Randall Bills to my knowledge. perhaps I'll post more today or tomorrow (I prefer to post them today).

AT2 units use BMR ranges but each hex is 9 km long instead of 18 km long and one thrust point can move a unit two 9 km hexes.
My version of AT2 ranges table:
_Standard___Capital
S 0-12______0-25
M 13-25_____26-50
L 26-37_____51-75
E 38-50_____76-100

I read on another forum that Maximum Tech is one of the highest selling products. I've read MechWarrior Companion for MWRPG, so I think Maximum Tech could use a companion book too. There were some Level 3 rules that weren't, oh how can I put this, completed or clarified.

For example the rules for trailers say that only a tracked or wheeled vehicle may pull a trailer (which can either be tracked or wheeled). Well a hovercraft or VTOL (with cable) can pull a ground trailer across the ground, or it can pull a watercraft vehicle across the water. I was watching Keith Olberman on MSNBC's Countdown and I saw a Coast Guard VTOL pull a watercraft. And of course, watercraft vehicles (displacement hull, hydrofoil, sub) should be capable of pulling watercraft trailers.

And the rules for drones don't include artificial intelligence (AI) so they can function without humans controlling them. Currently, a female Asian robot who I saw on Countdown can speak an entire language - I think it's either Korean or Japanese. And on the local news I saw a somewhat AI Japanese robot security guard that could climb stairs and identify individual humans. That reminds me drone rules for battle armor, 'Mechs, & spacecraft could be included too.

What about MechForce Quarterly objects such as the winch that was published? That should be official Level 3 (anything published in MechForce Quarterly that's not Level 1 or Level 2 is Level 3 from what I read.

Perhaps I can use the LosTech Think Tank life path to design these objects.

Yeah those TCWs are powerfully destructive indeed; I wouldn't want them near my DropShips though they're fun to use against Enhanced Imaging Clanners. Buzzzzzzzz! As for MPWs well inferno and Haywire pods are Level 2 and combined they're basically the same thing as an MPW. I'd like for Tactical Operations to include the rules for Follow the Leader LRMs and Blue Shield from Unbound and also the advanced artillery rules and LAM rules after they've been revised (which many players prefer) along with the Claw (should make grappling and grabbing attacks discussed in Maximum Tech easier) and Watchdog Probe from Tactical Handbook as well as the MechForce Quarterly items - the winch looks nice and anything else that those writing this new book can fit in (new or old rules). The more the merrier. Oh and the dead fire missiles from Tactical Handbook - just the name of them alone scares me - I'm not looking forward to seeing them republished. Also would like to see some towing rules - AeroTech 2 lacks 'em and Maximum Tech only had towing rules for trailers, I mean a conventional vehicle with an engine should be able to tow another. And let 'Mechs do some towing to - nice to put your buddy's 'Mech on a trailer and bring it home.

The rules for composite structure would be better changed so that conventional vehicles, airplanes, and spacecraft can use the structure. I was watching a short documentary on a guy who worked for Microsoft - he started his own company to create spacecraft that would carry folks into space for pleasure & travel - the spacecraft used composite structure. Also, I'd like for component armor to be used with any armor and allowing the targeting & tracking systems mentioned in Maximum Tech to be used with conventional vehicles, battle armor, protomechs, airplanes, and spacecraft rather than just twelve meter tall 'Mechs. The double blind sensor rules I think would be better if they were changed so that the sensors work the same way regardless of whether the unit is a 'Mech, airplane, spacecraft, or conventional vehicle - this way if one unit is damaged, its sensors can be put into another with ease. Rules for clouds I'd like included for AeroTech2/BMR games - I was in Colorado and clouds sometimes are at mountain level; the rules for smoke could if modified be used for cloud rules like on 4D6 roll of 24 the cloud dissipates and would not be allowed below a certain altitude. How about allowing hidden units to make ranged attacks while staying hidden if they have a friendly spotting the targeted? An advanced rule for anti-personnel pods would be that they do 10D6 standard damage to infantry - the highest rolled could wipe out two infantry units wearing heavy armor. It's kind of perplexing that a ton of machine gun ammo can do many more points of damage while using the current rules one of these one ton pods only does 1D6 damage. ECM rules could be better too like allowing an opposing ECM to block communications to prevent commands, indirect fire coordinates, etc. from getting through. I think allowing 'Mechs to wear armored backpacks and use coolant pods, and/or ammo and heat sinks placed in them would be a good idea. I agree with someone else who discussed mounting MW3RPG personal weapons on vehicles (including 'Mechs, battle armor, aircraft, and spacecraft) like how their tonnages should be increased by 10% to account for better stability - in TRO3026 it does discuss personal weapons mounted on vehicles and also that personal weapons are gauranteed an automatic hit on a roll of 12 and an automatic failure on a roll of 2 after rolling a 2D6 roll of 7 or less . I'd also like rules for construction equipment (backhoes, steamrollers, etc.) - gotta build my roads and buildings.

The Land Air Mech rule modifications which about a dozen folks agreed on years back, well I'm including them here - a LAM: may not be built as an OmniLAM (we all agreed on this); may mass up to 100 tons (though I'm currently not using LAMs 50 to 100 tons) since normal bipedal 'Mechs and aeroplanes can though a heavier LAM is way less efficient due to how a LAM using these rules I've typed here requires a number of critical slots devoted to its left and right combustion chambers (equals engine tonnage divided by 100) placed in left and right torsos or left and right legs - a critical hit to a combustion chamber has the same effects as a hit to an aerofighter's engine using AT2 rules, conversion equipment (one each in left arm, right arm, left torso, right torso, head or center torso) - a critical hit to a conversion equipment slot prevents the LAM from converting, and landing gear (one each in left arm, right arm, left torso, right torso) - a critical hit to a landing gear slot has the same effects as said critical hit to aerofighter using AT2 rules, may have and use bombs (one bomb per critical slot) - if an airplane/VTOL can have and drop a bomb then so can an AirMech/LAM in airplane mode; uses AT2 fire control restrictions, gives off heat when using standard jump jets for jumpgliding in AirMech mode (1 heat point for every 3 MP or fraction thereof done by the standard jump jets); doesn't start with 30 free fuel points but all fuel tons and their respective fuel pumps for the combustion chambers are treated like ammo in terms of critical slots and tonnage (fuel pumps are considered part of their respective fuel containers for tonnage and critical slot purposes); and the LAM has an additional +1 modifier for every nonrequired MP not spent when used to land from a jumpglide as well as an additional +2 modifier when doing a DFA in AirMech mode to account for its jumpgliding. Here's the current rules for LAMs as posted on these forums at the following link:
http://lordsofthebattlefield.com/forum/v...465f9067f5945fa

Also, how about requiring spheroid small spacecraft and large spacecraft to use the BMR conventional vehicle item slot rules? Speaking of those rules Tactical Operations could include a rule that says that ranged weapons and perhaps other items take up a number of item slots equal to their tonnage divided by four (fractional accounting can be used if desired by the person designing), so three Long Tom Artillery weapons would take up a total of 22.5 item slots (90 tons divided by 4 equals 22.5 item slots which could be mounted on a 100 ton vehicle that has 25 item slots) though I think the sponson turrets from Maximum Tech should take up 3 item slots per their total tonnage; with improved item slot rules this enables, oh say, a personnel bay and they have lots of MW3RPG personal weapons then they could be in the vehicle (not limited to just conventional vehicles) and use any number of their personal weapons at the same time. Fractional accounting could be applied to critical slots in 'Mechs too like if a 'Mech has only one critical slot left and a person wants to put in it half a ton of AC/10 ammo and a compact heat sink. Hardened armor Battle Value rules should be upgraded so that the battle value for hardened armor is increased by twenty percent given how hardened armor has a -2 modifier applied to all Determining Critical Hits Table rolls. I think a rule allowing what I call "alloy armors" (armors merged together) would be interesting like say for example allowing a unit to have mounted in all locations hardened armor, ablative armor, and reactive armor.

Oh and I think some new physical actions for players would make the game more interesting (I don't do the ramming/charging physical attacks) like allowing prone 'Mechs and conventional vehicles (except for VTOLs) to do the pushing attack (they could try pushing each other and other types of units into water/liquid magma hexes for example), letting ground vehicles run over and 'Mechs trample personnel, letting hatchets to get an automatic critical hits table roll but only one critical hit possible with a -4 modifier on the Determining Critical Hits Table & doing double damage they can do now (quadruple if TSM used), allowing VTOLs to charge attack by using the lower parts of them, bola to entangle 'Mech's legs, how about a bow & explosive arrow attack for 'Mechs (would be quiet good for those hidden), flail, towing, construction, pinching, and allowing overheated units to prevent personnel from swarming them (BMR says that personnel can't be in hot environments and if a 'Mech's/aeroplane's heat level is at least one, then it's considered hot using Maximum Tech rules for hot environments & heat levels), and a torch physical attack follows the rules for a clubbing attack except a 'Mech uproots a tree/girder on fire and hits a target with it - if the target is hit apply 1 heat point to the target's heat scale but if it has no heat scale, then it's set on fire or if the target is conventional infantry no effect except for Maximum Tech infantry morale rules both fire and 'Mech modifiers apply. How about some rules for allowing VTOL equipment to be mounted on ground & naval units? And finally lets let those various jump systems (mechanical jump boosters, jump jets, jump pack) be mounted on and used on a unit all at the same time if desired the player controlling the unit.

The stuff that was left out was due to a lack of space which can be solved due to how Maximum Tech Revised has way less pages than the BattleSpace book. Maybe the LAMs won't comeback or maybe with enough encouragement from everyone at this link http://www.lordsofthebattlefield.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24638&start=0 and elsewhere they will. The Maximum Tech +1 modifier for taking each 20 points of damage I'd like modified so that the +1 modifier is applied for every amount of damage that's at least the percentage of the unit's tonnage as described: a 'Mech on the ground - 20%, a LAM (while jumpgliding in AirMech mode and has not landed) or VTOL flying/hovering - 15% (less stability than being on the ground), an airplane/aeroplane flying - 10% (even less stability than jumpgliding/VTOL rotor flying) - this will put those units quantitywise, tonnagewise, and chassiswise more on a par with each other and that before making the piloting skill roll the player rolls 1D6 - on a roll of 1 the player must make the piloting skill roll. I agree with Froggie's of allowing the dual cockpit to be used on airplanes - the dual cockpit can be used on 'Mechs & LAMs and allowing airplanes/aeroplanes to have 11 armor locations since their LAM airplane/aeroplane likes do as follows: left front, right front, top left wing, top fuselage, top right wing, cockpit, bottom left wing, bottom fuselage, bottom right wing, left tail, right tail - would make the airplanes/aeroplanes more balanced and I think the word cockpit should be changed to "control seats" - cockpit sounds so sexually intrusive. A rule I think would make level 3 games interesting is if a 'Mech could help another 'Mech walk like if its hip actuator has been hit or leg blown off - this would violate the rule that only one 'Mech is allowed in one BT hex but in miniatures games that rule doesn't seem to exist . I've noticed that the 18 kilometer (18,000 meter) hex using AT2 rules is a space hex at the highest altitude and at altitude level three an airplane/aeroplane flies about the length of a BattleTech mapsheet per thrust point - 15 BT hexes (450 meters) - it's interesting because each altitude level could be from 1 to 120 so an airplane at altitude level 1 goes 5 BT hexes per thrust point (150 meters) whereas at altitude 120 an aeroplane goes 600 BT hexes per thrust point (18,000 meters - the length of a space hex) so at each altitude level it costs one thrust point to go that altitude level's length and multiplied by 5 equals the number of BT hexes flown and then multiplied by 30 equals the number of meters flown.

Advanced rules for the Determining Critical Hits Table (and this can be applied to 'Mechs, conventional vehicles, airplanes, spacecraft, battle armor, buildings) is to use the armor threshold rules from AeroTech 2 and modify them so that the total damage inflicted on the location is divided by the armor threshold - the quotient is then added to any roll on the Determining Critical Hits Table which could have new roll results as follows:
12-13 roll 3 critical hit locations
14-15 roll 4 critical hit locations
16-17 roll 5 critical hit locations and torso (no twisting), limb, turret, or rotor jammed
18-19 roll 6 critical hit locations and head, limb, turret, or rotor blown off
Note that if using this table critical hits are too easy to make, then the table should be modified to have a negative number added to the dice roll; if they're to hard to make, then the table should be modified to have a positive number added to the dice roll.

My advanced conventional vehicle critical hits table, roll 2D6:
2-5 No critical hit
6 Driver Hit, Crew Stunned, Bay door locked, Turret/Rotor Jam
7 Weapon malfunction or weapon jam
8 Stabilizer Hit
9 Weapon Destroyed
___Front____________Left/Right____Rear ______Turret/Rotor
10 Brakes___________Sensors_____Brakes_____Turret or rotor locks
11 Steering__________A bay is hit __A bay is hit _Turret or rotor locks
12 Controls destroyed__Engine Hit___Engine Hit__ Turret or rotor blown off

See Total Warfare book for details on the above critical hits and my rules also below for above critical hits.
Crew Stunned applies for left/right hits.
Bay door locked - cannot be opened without tools (lock jammed) so personnel may leave or enter until lock unjammed.
Brakes The vehicle's brakes are damaged -- its crew cannot deaccelerate the vehicle.
Steering The vehicle retains its facing until its steering is repaired.
A bay is hit - randomly determine a bay of heat sinks, ammunition, people, cargo hit. If the heat sinks/ammunition bay is hit, lose all heat sinks/ammunition per bay. If people are hit, two people per point of damage are hit from critical hit as if they were outside the vehicle.
Controls destroyed - the vehicle's controls are destroyed to the point where it cannot perform any action and the crew in it might be wounded.

I let a conventional vehicle, aircraft, and a spacecraft use a gyro (the gyro counts as an item). If a conventional vehicle/aircraft/spacecraft mounts a gyro, then its side mounted weapons don't have to equal each other and a -1 modifier is added to the piloting base to-hit number.
I let a unit using mechanical jump boosters make facing changes when it jumps, but the Piloting Skill Roll for landing is increased by +1 per facing change - I reasoned that a 'Mech could make a facing change like a ballerina. And a unit that lands while using mechanical jump boosters and jump jets/jump pack has a -4 modifier added to the piloting base to-hit number.
Probes cannot reveal nonmatter information about a person such as his/her Gun/Piloting skills, name, etc. which is actually good for in double blind games when you want to keep information secret and you don't want your ace personnel being shot at. And I let a unit walk an attack among two or more targets. I let the player controlling the unit decide how much damage each target will take but the total damage inflicted cannot be greater than what they weapon designed to do in one turn.

A rule for maximum armor on the head could be that the maximum armor is equal to the 'Mech's starting tonnage divided by 5, then add 7 so that a 10 ton 'Mech could have a max of 9 points on the head (10/5)=7 while a 100 ton 'Mech could have a max of 27 points (100/5)+7=27 and added 3 (the number of internal structue points for the head) equals 30 which equals the total damage inflicted by three simultaneously fired PPC shots coming from the Technical Readout 3026 Schrek PPC Carrier that guy is in which he never fails to destroy a head. I'd like for TAG, machine guns, Artemis IV & IV launchers, Narc pods, and Streak Missile launchers to be compatible with targeting computers and letting them do aimed shot attacks and also allowing more than one targeting computer on a unit though a weapon may only have the benefits and drawbacks of only one targeting computer at a time and while TAG fires through or into smoke, clouds, woods, or jungle hexes, the terrain modifiers for a TAG attack are doubled due to how they disrupt the TAG beam. How about a medium range targeting system giving a -1 modifier on all attacks made at medium range while when it's set for long range mode a +1 modifier on short range mode and when it's set for short range mode a +1 modifier on all long range attacks? And what about allowing buildings, battle armor, conventional vehicles, airplanes, and spacecraft to use the various targeting & tracking systems discussed in Maximum Tech? I think that standard armor (which I think is made up of bonofilimade diamond and aligned crystal steel) could introduce two new or rather I should say old armors - bormond (which halves the damage from all ballistic, missile, artillery, and physical attacks) and crystal steel (which halves the damage from all energy attacks) - each of these two armors has a +3 modifier applied to the Determining Critical Hits Table caused by the destructive attacks they're not designed to halve.

Concentric armor whereas a spacecraft such as a spheroid DropShip/DropShuttle, Monitor, WarShip, space station can have additional layers of armor mounted around them to enable an inner layer of armor to stop critical hits (an outer layer of concentric armor would block weapons fire and LOS coming from the spacecraft and prevent critical hits from happening to the spacecraft/space station's internal components). A 1,000 ton docking hardpoint seems to provide a 100,000 ton DropShip/Monitor/space station with jump capability so I say that the docking hardpoint should mass 1 ton for every 100 tons that will dock and jump with the ship the hardpoint is mounted on; and the hardpoints, to maintain a stabiling balance throughout the ship, should be mounted on it using the rules for capital weapons.

I think the rules for less critical slots in 'Mechs for less tonnage 'Mechs should not be included - other less tonnage 'Mechs that are level 2 don't have less critical slots and the rules for 'Mechs bracing should not be included also. Large spacecraft engines, targeting computers, and gyroes could be allowed to use fractional accounting - this way large spacecraft when desired could swap engines, targeting computer tonnages don't have to be rounded up, and the XL gyro for a 100 rated engine would mass 0.5 tons rather 1 ton which would make it useful. I don't think it would really hurt anything if monitor spacecraft were allowed to mass up to 2.5 megatons and they should be allowed to mount armor like space stations - these monitors that won't be going through hyperspace really wouldn't need additional structure for armor. I think the heavy gauss rifle could be used by I.C.E. powered units if they were given power amplifiers. I think capital ballistic shots could be allowed to strike the surface in the same turn they're fired from orbit like capital energy shots - the capital weapons have a very high mass to range & damage ratio and the time it takes to ignite the powder in capital autocannons and power up the capital gauss rifles to fire the shots would be practically the same as powering up the capital energy weapons and I think capital missiles could be allowed to attack buildings on the ground and units on the ground/in an atmosphere. There could be a rule for letting a 'Mech use triple strength myomer and MASC in the same turn (benefits & drawbacks of both apply) - 'Mech's walking speed is increased by 1 due to the myomer then calculate running and sprinting speeds then recalculate them with the MASC. Also would like for a rule that says minefields explode only once - roll on Missile Hits Table for damage and there can be Thunder versions of MRMs, and SRMs as well as allowing more mine damage points per hex. I'd like a rule included that says units aren't limited to the shortest path when jumping - the rule that requires them to use the shortest paths was made for CBT way before the Battle Value System was invented to balance the jumping effects, now that old rule is outdated and BV system provides a formula for the offensive & defensive effects of jumping which now downgrades jumping in a manner to prevent jump capable units from being able to use their fullest potential. I think that ballistic, missile and artillery weapons could be fired indirectly at immobile targets resulting in their shots striking the targets in the Weapon Attack Phase immediately following the Weapon Attack Phase they're fired in (this includes off board attacks) and the battle value for artillery weapons (not the Maximum Tech artillery cannons) could be doubled to provide better game balance and all attacks declared in the Weapon Attack Phase could all be secretly written down on paper and then resolved. I'd like rules for 'Mechs, battle armor, and personnel that are throwing objects like ammunition to be exploded onto targets (which can be given an additional +3 modifier due to the ammunition's oblong shape) and grenades; also anti-missile systems could shoot down the ammo/grenades and the throwing rules could use the punch attack rules with modifications and objects could be thrown indirectly at objects too. I don't think allowing a unit to have various heat sinks would be a problem - double heat sinks are bulky and only takes one critical hit to destroy them which is rather easy to do; compact heat sinks are harder to hit and I don't think in level 3 games it would be a problem if conventional vehicles had mounted on them and can use double heat sinks (I mean those vehicles can carry those heat sinks in their cargo bays and 'Mechs and spacecraft can use double heat sinks). I think allowing bipedal 'Mechs to crawl resulting in double the movement points spent per crawling through a hex would be neat - and while crawling the 'Mech could fire rear mounted weapons upwards and perhaps even indirectly like say over a hill. Pushpull movement for 'Mechs would be neat also if their gyroes got destroyed they could use their limbs to push and pull themselves at quadruple the normal MP spent for walking through the hexes. I guess that's all I'll be typing today.

I let hand held weapons be held in either hand of a 'Mech rather than just both and allowing them to have a full 360 degree firing arc assuming shoulder, arm, and hand actuators aren't damaged. I think that the artillery offboard rule that says that the artillery hasn't fired in the intervening turns should be omitted and artillery BV increased perhaps doubled. I let a conventional vehicle and aircraft use a gyro (the gyro counts as an item). If a conventional vehicle/aircraft mounts a gyro, then its side mounted weapons don't have to equal each other and a -1 modifier is added to the piloting base to-hit number. I let a unit using mechanical jump boosters make facing changes when it jumps, but the Piloting Skill Roll for landing is increased by +1 per facing change - I reasoned that a 'Mech could make a facing change like a ballerina. And a unit that lands while using mechanical jump boosters and jump jets/jump pack has a -4 modifier added to the piloting base to-hit number. Probes cannot reveal nonmatter information about a person such as his/her Gun/Piloting skills, name, etc. which is actually good for in double blind games when you want to keep information secret and you don't want your ace personnel being shot at. And I let a unit walk an attack among two or more targets. I let the player controlling the unit decide how much damage each target will take but the total damage inflicted cannot be greater than what they weapon designed to do in one turn.

I would like to see rules for what I call ray movement - that's when a unit is in a hex and moves from one hex to one or more other hexes and doesn't have to make so many facing changes - the unit moves along the ray which starts from the center of the hex the unit is currently in and stops at the hex it will stop moving in. Ray movement costs 1/2 MP for each fractional hexside facing change (not a whole hexside facing change) regardless of how fractional the change is. For example: using the map that can be downloaded at classicbattletech.com from the downloads page that has the Maps and Counters link, let's say that in Turn 2 a 'Mech in hex 0108 facing 0207 wants to fire machine guns at short range at a fighter that has landed on the ground in hex 1207. Using ray movement, the 'Mech uses 1/2 MP to fractionally change facing so it now faces the hexside where hexes 0207 & 0208 are adjacent. Now the 'Mech uses 1 MP to move along that hexside, uses another 1 MP to move through hex 0308, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0407 & 0408 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0508, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0607 & 0608 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0708, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0807 & 0808 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0908, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 1007 & 1008 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move into hex 1108, and finally uses another 1/2 MP to make a fractional facing change to face hex 1207 at a total of 11 MP used. Using the same example but with the current rules the 'Mech would in Turn 2 use 1 MP to go through hex 0207, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0307, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0406, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0506, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0605, then use 1 MP to make a full hexside facing change to face hex -0706, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0706, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0806, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0807, then use 1 MP to go through hex 1007, then use 1 MP to go through hex 1108, and finally use another 1 MP to make a full hexside facing change to face hex 1207 at a total of 12 MP used. As you can see in the previous example, ray movement enabled the 'Mech from having to use a twelfth MP. Ray movement can in some instances lessen the amount of MP required to go somewhere.

How about grouping LB-X normal pellets and flak minipellets like for LRMs and modifiers for LB-X shots like at short range add +2 to the number you roll to determine how many pellets/flak minipellets hit, at medium no modifier, and -2 for long and extreme ranges and If that reduces the # below 2, assume that the smallest number of pellets hit, and apply an additional -2 modifier if firing flak minipellets which spread out farther than the normal pellets. Only make a single piloting skill roll at the end of a Weapon Attack Phase after all damage in that phase has been totalled and an AMS or Laser AMS can shoot down an incoming Arrow IV/Copperhead homing missile if the missile is attacking the unit equipped with the AMS/Laser AMS. Spacecraft should be allowed to use targeting computers. I let TAG be targeting computer compatible -- semiguided LRMs/Arrow IV homing missiles can home in on a location a TAG beam targets via the targeting computer but increase the gunnery base to-hit number of those missiles/Arrow IVs by +3 to reflect how the TAG beacon is much more concentrated and narrowed on a location and harder for the missiles/Arrow IVs to see. The +3 modifier is balanced and thus there is no need for increasing the ammo's BV for targeting computer. The +3 modifier is in addition to the +3 location targeting modifier applied (+6 total). I also let a unit use multiple TAGs and fire its weapons while it fires one or more TAGs. I double the number of missiles shot down that are homing in on a location due to targeting computers targeting locations when using AMS/Laser AMS on them. For death from above attacks a unit doing a DFA can do one or more DFAs provided jump MP is available (hard to determine which get DFAed, hint initiative rules), automatically hits head of 'Mech (with both legs if unit doing DFA is a 'Mech or one leg if DFAing 'Mech has only one leg) on a successful DFA to-hit roll (or half damage if the to-hit roll was a glancing blow), succomb to one or more physical attacks, and a unit that fails a DFA may make a Piloting Skill Roll to avoid falling with a modifier equal to the MoF of the DFA skill roll. If the roll is successful, the unit does not fall and if desired units may use mechanical jump boosters to do DFAs but only against immobile targets (such as shutdown 'Mechs) unless they're using other jump systems such as 'Mech Jump Pack and/or jump jets. A flamer firing into winds has a +1 modifier if the winds are light winds and a +2 modifier if the winds are heavy winds. Two or more units can combine their weapon attacks to use Tactical Handbooks rules for creating craters. No type of physical attack can create a crater. A unit/structure does not need to have all of its missile launchers with the same type of Artemis fire control systems and may mount different types.

If spacecraft is 160,000 tons or less then it gets 16 points of standard armor per ton, if spacecraft is 320,000 tons or less but greater than 160,000 tons, then it gets 15 points of standard armor per ton, if spacecraft is 480,000 tons or less but greater than 160,000 tons, then it gets 14 points of standard armor per ton and so on. 16 points per ton times 160,000 equals 2,560,000 which is roughly a little more than 2,500,000 the largest tonnage of WarShips. Lamellor ferro-carbide armor will, using my rule, increase the number of points of armor per ton by 15. Thus using my rule a 2,500,000 WarShip would have 16 points of armor per ton if it was using lamellor ferro-carbide armor, the same number of points it would get if using normal AT2 rules.

How about using the number of MechWarrior 3 RPG Body attribute points to determine how many head hits it takes to defeat a MechWarrior like for example if a MechWarrior has 10 Body points, then he/she is knocked unconscious (not killed) on the tenth hit to the 'Mech's head. Whenever the head is rolled on either the Shot From Above or Punch Hit tables, roll the die again - if a 4, 5, or 6 is rolled, the head is hit, otherwise reroll for location (this does not apply to DFAs/aimed shots/targeting computer attacks against head, and head hits were too easy to make and this makes sense given the small area of a head).

BattleTech units can fire at ranges AeroTech 2 units can fire at, i.e. BattleTech units are no longer limited to firing into the same and/or adjacent space 18 km hexes and AeroTech 2 units use BMR(R) & MaxTech (R) & Tactical Handbook & Unbound & MechWarrior RPG weapon hex ranges - this is for game balance - whereas capital weapons have their BVs and ranges redesigned so they each use the short (1/4 range), medium (2/4 range), long (3/4 range), and extreme (4/4 range).

I let JumpShips using a standard or compact K-F drive make as many jumps as they want per charge but the total number of jumps per charge may not exceed 30 light years. A player may substitute one Walking MP for one standard Jumping MP and vice versa. The player may do this as many times as (s)he desires. A player may substitute one Running MP for one Improved Jumping MP and vice versa. The player may do this as many times as (s)he desires. If a unit walks & jumps or runs & jumps in the same turn, the unit's attacker movement modifier is +3 or if a unit walks & runs in the same turn then the attacker movement modifier is +2. If a mech is standing in level 1 water it has partial cover and by rule can't be hit in the legs.

A conventional vehicle's cockpit, regardless of the vehicle's total tonnage, weighs only 0.25 tons (this includes the tonnage of the crew person ). The reason is because a conventional vehicle should only need one person to drive and shoot like a 'Mech. The vehicle also requires 0.25 tons devoted to its sensor equipment.
While a 'Mech's head only weighs 3 tons, it is made up of parts:
0.25 tons cockpit
0.25 tons sensors - which can be taken out and exchanged with conventional vehicle sensors
0.50 ejection mechanism
0.20 life support
0.80 structure (this does not take up a critical slot)
1.00 extra room (this can be removed to create the Small Cockpit).
The bottom sensors critical slot is replaced with the word "Ejection". A critical hit to this slot prevents the person from ejecting.

I let a unit equipped with mechanical jump boosters and jump jets use both in the same phase but a -4 modifier is applied to the landing skill roll. This is balanced and is good for LAMs if a LAM uses both -- this way it only has to make one landing roll since the landing roll for landing with mechanical jump boosters is the same for landing after an AirMech jump. I let Battle Armor and coventional infantry make attacks against aircraft and BMR units to fire at ranges like AT2 units. AT2 units use BMR ranges but each hex is 9 km long instead of 18 km long and one thrust point can move a unit two 9 km hexes. A unit is not stopped by an opposing unit in the same turn it enters the hex the oppposing unit is in. Two BattleMechs may occupy a hex. If a unit has multiple jump systems, the player may use as many as he/she wants in a turn provided they function correctly and all benefits and drawbacks apply.

For BMR missiles being fired everything is basically done like normal regarding missile hits with the following exceptions. Everyone that fires missles at the AMS equipped unit makes their to-hit rolls, then they make the rolls on how many missles hit the and get a grand total. Then the AMS unit rolls for his/her AMS systems and then subtracts the number of missles shot down from the total number of missles that hit his unit, then damage is applied, and each AMS only uses one shot of ammo regardless of how effective it is. SRM hits are divided up into groups of two.

Vehicles can use double heat sinks - it's realistic and can be balanced using the BV system. Armor on a turret increases the tonnage of the turret's structure by an amount equal to 10% of the turret's armor's tonnage. An AMS only uses 1 shot of its ammo despite however effective it is thus putting it more in line with the huge ammounts of ammo mgs get per ton. A missile/torpedo can be sent without giving off heat -- the missile is simply rolled out of the launcher and then its engine ignites after it leaves the launcher so if it's launched in this manner, then resolve the attack in the physical attack phase. If a location is damaged 3 times in a row, that means a possible crit in that location on a 1D6 roll of 6. An AMS mounted in the head of a 'Mech has a special head arc it protects - it can shoot down double the amount of missiles as compared to the number it can shoot down normally. If a unit has multiple jump systems, the player may use as many as he/she wants in a turn provided they function correctly and all benefits and drawbacks apply. I let probes negate smoke modifiers for gunnery if attacker is getting target's information via probe - probes can gather so much information on objects so they should be able to easily detect units in/behind smoke. Instead of using the quantity of personnel to determine the base to-hit number for a swarming attack since it's unbalanced and unrealistic, I use an athletic bases to-hit number (the same one I use for piloting base to-hit numbers) - Major Adam Steiner of the 1st Somerset Strikers had singlehandedly "swarmed" Nicolai Malthus's Thor 'Mech in the last episode of the BattleTech TV anime. Also would like for 'Mechs & conventional vehicles & airplanes to be able to use jet boosters & superchargers from Maximum Tech. Jump jet/jump pack equipped units not using mercury and VTOLs can't fly/jump/jumpglide above elevation 400. A powered down item (like on spacecraft) I don't think would require maintenance. I think it would be better if the bottom sensors critical slot in a 'Mech was renamed "ejection", and the first and second critical hits to the top sensors critical slot follows the rules for sensor damage. Allow max armor points to be double the max internal structure points on each torso location of a 'Mech (max front armor points of a torso location shouldn't interfere with max back front armor points of torso location). I'd like spacecraft max Structural Integrity rules that's based on the spacecraft's engine to be negated. I don't use modifers for stationary spacecraft - they're not used for stationary 'Mechs on CBT mapsheets and Netwon said motion is relative. Also I'd like for WarShips, JumpShips, Monitors, and space stations to be able to have 360 degree turrets mounted on top of them. I think only one piloting skill roll for a unit moving along/onto each water hex should be necessary unless a latter water hex in the same movement phase would have a higher final number to roll (this rule modification is to make the game go faster). I don't want to see Maximum Tech's rule for less critical slots in 'Mechs for lighter 'Mechs (not fair when there are level 2 designs that don't agree with that Maximum Tech rule). I let flamers (both energy & ballistic) to each cause both heat & damage. I let battle armor target spacecraft (I imagine there'd be sensors & fire control computer on battle armor) and I let targeting & tracking systems of 'Mechs & conventional vehicles and the ranges they can shoot at be on a par with aerofighters (this way 'Mechs & conventional vehicles are not at a disadvantage). On a 'Mech or aerofighter with fusion engine, if the heat scale goes to 60, the engine melts and the unit is inoperative. If the engine is hit by weapons fire, ammo explosion, etc, ammo explosion is rolled. If the roll failed, then the engine explodes according to Maximum Tech rules.

How about some spacecraft rules for towing like these: First, make a list of each unit's tonnage multiplied by its respective thrust; second, add the list of products together and add the tonnages of all the units together ; and third, divide the sum of the products by the sum of the tonnages to get towing thrust. For example: let's say we have spacecraft of tonnages 100kilotons, 50kilotons, 30kilotons, and 20 kilotons that are towing a spacecraft of 200kilotons. Each of the towing spacecraft has a thrust of 4 and the towed spacecraft has a thrust of 0. So (4*100kilotons)+(4*50kilotons)+(4*30kilotons)+(4*20kilotons)+(0*200kilotons)=800kilotons@4thrust. Adding the tonnages of all the units 100kilotons+ 50kilotons+ 30kilotons+ 20kilotons + 200kilotons = 400 kilotons. Now [Email]800kilotons@4thrust[/Email] divided by 400kilotons equals an acceleration of AeroTech 2 hexes of 2, and another example using the above spacecraft tonnages but with different thrusts: So (2*100kilotons)+(4*50kilotons)+(5*30kilotons)+(8*20kilotons)+(10*200kilotons)=2710kilotons@varied thrust which we shall now divide by 400kilotons gives us acceleration of AeroTech 2 hexes of 6.070705.

Advanced rules for orbit to surface attacks would be helpul like these: to-hit modifier for firing at an immobile hex is -4 the same immobile target modifier while to-hit modifier for firing at a mobile hex is -2 and use the altitude levels posted in this thread earlier to determine range but every two altitude levels counts as one hex.

Capital energy weapons may fire in diffracted mode and if they do, then roll on the Missile Hit Table on the 5 column to determine how many shots hit. Apply a -1 modifier to the base to-hit number (this is like LB-X).

Formation
This rule is similar to the Tactical Handbook's rule for artillery weapons firing at hexes using one artillery as a leader. Units using naval weapons may have their naval weapons bays fire in formation with one naval weapons bay as a leader. Make only one to-hit roll for all naval weapons bays being fired (Edge can be used to reroll this roll using the MechWarrior/Maximum Tech rules for Edge but the Edge must be spent by the leading weapons bay and cannot be spent to increase or decrease to-hit roll/to-hit numbers) but use the hardest final modified to-hit number of all naval bays being fired for the roll to be rolled against. Thus if you have three different ships that were orbitally bombarding hexes and you wanted to fire at all of them, and one gunner had a base to-hit gunnery level of +7, another of +6 but it used Max Thrust in the turn, and another of +5 and all units were firing at long range, and each gunner was firing only one capital weapons bay, then the final modified to-hit number would be +8 since it's the hardest (+8 plus -4 immobile target plus +4 long range).

An ICE engine has as part of its tonnage a radiator that can dissipate 3 heat points in the same manner as heat sinks. Have the top engine critical slot renamed "radiator" - a critical hit to it destroys it.

Artillery adjusting fire rule would be better if artillery systems can fire during intervening turns instead of having to wait until after the shot has landed. I'd like for the basement table to be shortened so it doesn't have so much text. Replacing an Omniunit's pod should take half rather than double time - pods are easier to connect and disconnect.

How about adding one's RPG intelligence to his/her initiative roll?

1D6 to 1D10 and 2D6 to 2D10 conversion tables:
Note if you get two D10 number choices for a D6 roll, then flip a coin - heads choose the choice on the left and tails choose the choice on the right.
1D6_1D10
roll choices
1___1
2___2 or 3
3___4 or 5
4___6 or 7
5___8 or 9
6___10

2D6_2D10
roll choices
2___2
3___3 or 4
4___5 or 6
5___7 or 8
6___9 or 10
7___11
8___12 or 13
9___14 or 15
10__16 or 17
11__18 or 19
12__20

Rolling a 2D10 when using the current BMR rules for combat & piloting will make to-hit rolls easier. So I'm including a modification rule to make them harder proportionally as much as I can within reason given the amount of time I have here. Both the piloting & gunnery base to-hit numbers are equal to +4 but this does not mean the average 4 gunnery skill base to-hit numbers mentioned in the BMR but rather these two new +4s are simply used for making successful 2D10 rolls harder to do. So basically using the base to-hit number of +4 plus say a gunnery skill to-hit (now modifier) of +6 plus +1 attacking unit walked plus +5 target movement modifier plus +4 defending unit in heavy woods and heavy smoke plus +2 intervening heavy woods equals +22 which means the attack automatically fails.

Edited by NeoPharoah (10/26/06 01:28 PM)
Greyslayer
10/26/06 05:18 PM

LAMs are always unbalanced. Remove them for good from the game and get over it.
NewPharoah
11/11/06 02:30 PM

No, they're not. Get over your apparent inability to cope with them.
Any rules I type should be considered unofficial unless stated otherwise by Precentor Martial Randall Bills and/or published Classic BattleTech products.
Toontje
11/11/06 03:22 PM

Unlimited heat dissipation.. Now that is slighlty unbalancing, if you add some pulse lasers.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah
11/13/06 11:48 AM

In regards to heat dissipation if you're referring to LAMs, then scroll up to read what I suggested for jumping/jumpgliding.
Any rules I type should be considered unofficial unless stated otherwise by Precentor Martial Randall Bills and/or published Classic BattleTech products.
Toontje
11/13/06 01:17 PM

thay's 3-4 pages of text..

I was only commenting on why lams according to AT(1) rules are munch, especially if combined with SL, or, god forbid, clamtech.
Rather to blow up, then.
Greyslayer
11/14/06 05:28 AM

I can cope with them... even better when little munchie kiddies are not around trying resurrect them.
NewPharoah
11/25/06 05:33 PM

How would you all feel about a rule that lets a " 'MechPilot use any heat sink in his/her 'Mech, when the heat sink(s) is are/underwater, to dissipate heat at double the efficiency in the end phase unless the heat sink takes a critical hit during the turn of that phase" ? And how about a rule that lets a player make an aimed shot against a mobile target (perhaps even against a specific component of the target) as long as the targeted location is in the effect radius of a probe?

Edited by NewPrakroah (11/25/06 05:45 PM)
NewPharoah
12/04/06 01:11 PM

Formation (above, revised) - these attacks now called Formation Projectiling too.
This rule is similar to the Tactical Handbook's rule for artillery weapons firing at hexes using one artillery as a leader. Units using naval weapons may have their naval weapons bays do projectiling in formation with one naval weapons bay as a leader. Make only one to-hit roll for all naval weapons bays being fired (Edge can be used to reroll this roll using the MechWarrior/Maximum Tech rules for Edge but the Edge must be spent by the leading weapons bay and cannot be spent to increase or decrease to-hit roll/to-hit numbers) but use the hardest final modified to-hit number of all naval bays being fired for the roll to be rolled against. Thus if you have three different ships that were orbitally bombarding hexes and you wanted to projectile all of them, and one gunner had a base to-hit gunnery level of +7, another of +6 but it used Max Thrust in the turn, and another of +5 and all units were firing at long range, and each gunner was firing only one capital weapons bay, then the final modified to-hit number would be +12 since it's the hardest (+6 base to-hit plus +2 Max Thrust used plus -4 immobile target plus +4 long range).

Edited by NewPharoah (12/04/06 01:12 PM)
NewPharoah_Max
12/16/06 12:47 PM

Ok everyone, let's hear your thoughts on those rules above and any future ones that maybe will be posted below.
Greetings to you too.
NewPharoah_Max
01/03/07 02:38 PM

Actually I'd rather not have artificial intelligence (AI) units.

Some more house rules of mine:

MoundMechs
A player can design a MoundMech by using the construction rules for BattleMechs, OmniMechs, or UtilityMechs with the following exceptions: 1, each side torso of a 'Mech requires a critical slot for connecting mound(s) to that 'Mech. Mounds are treated like internal cargo bays in terms of how much mass they are. Items in those mounds are mounted like the way items are mounted on conventional vehicles - if those items are weapons, then they use Maximum Tech rules for connventional vehicle firing arcs - weapons mounted on a mound of a 'Mech may not trace LOS through any other mound mounted on that 'Mech. A mound may not be mounted on any 'Mech's head. Only one mound may be mounted on top of a Bipedal'Mech's side torso but on a Quad'Mech there can be a box on the top of each rear torso location. Each mound is entirely made up of structure (standard internal) that's minimum tonnage is equal to the total tonnage of all items mounted on that mound multiplied by 11.2% rounded up (as player designing mound for his/her unit desires). Each of these mounds can be armored and receives 1 internal structure point for every 10 tons it masses of standard internal structure.

Moving without gyroes
How would you all feel about a 'Mech not needing a gyro to move as long as 1, all of the actuators and sensors in it work correctly; 2, it is symmetrically balanced tonnage and equipmentwise; and 3, it isn't taking any damage. I mean the person functioning the 'Mech could simply move his/her body and the piloting computer program installed in the 'Mech could move the 'Mech in accordance with his/her movement(s) and with the sensors' and actuators' detection circuits.
Greetings to you too.
Toontje
01/03/07 07:37 PM

What is a mound? A kazemat?
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
01/03/07 08:10 PM

See definitions #3 & #4.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+mound
Greetings to you too.
Toontje
01/03/07 10:12 PM

Call it a casemate and use that, more contemporary.

Although it would boil down to no difference to current system.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
01/06/07 04:24 PM

Ok those mounds are casemates.
Greetings to you too.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10259

Contact Admins Sarna.net