Regarding vehicular and battle armor weapons

Pages: 1
NewPharoah_Max
02/08/07 12:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I noticed that a medium laser has a tonnage of 1.0 when mounted on any vehicular unit except battle armor, yet when mounted on battle armor that medium laser has a tonnage of 0.4 tons why is that? Is it because components were removed, i.e. the armor for the medium laser to stop residual damage?
Greetings to you too.
strife
02/08/07 01:50 PM

I'd guess that the weapons and equipment in general, all the weights are abstractions. No machinegun could ever weigh 1100 pounds or 500kg, rather, its the abstracted portion of combined weight of the entire vehicle or unit its mounted on. For example, a 60-ton tank could have 30 tons of weaponary, but it could'nt mount 300 50 caliber machineguns, even though the machineguns themselves are pretty light. The equipment weights factor in everything thats requesite for mounting that particular device on a vehicle, ect. Your gunners seat, the sighting equipment, the hydralic pumps and controls, the mount, the increased size of the vehicle itself to contain said gunner's seat, ect. so..... Yeah I suppose on battle armor the controls and means to mount a medium laser is more streamlined and effieciant in that aspect, so that the total weight of the system is lower, even though the medium laser is the same on both a tank and on your battlesuit. Its not so much the weight of the weapon thats important, but rather the all-emcompassing whole of it all factored on a vehicle.

Well, thats my best guess anyways its either that or..... its magical!
"caliber fifty JUSTICE!"
CrayModerator
02/09/07 08:31 AM

Quote:

I noticed that a medium laser has a tonnage of 1.0 when mounted on any vehicular unit except battle armor, yet when mounted on battle armor that medium laser has a tonnage of 0.4 tons why is that? Is it because components were removed, i.e. the armor for the medium laser to stop residual damage?

It's because components were removed. Vehicle-mounted weapons are elaborate affairs involving armored mounts, recoil compensation, targeting systems, and integration into a large vehicle. Battle armor weapons are minimal items strapped onto an exoskeleton.

For more details, look into Combat Equipment Guide on light, medium (support), and heavy weapons.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NewPharoah_Max
02/09/07 11:48 AM

So is there a formula for determining weapon tonnage that doesn't include all that other stuff, i.e. multiply weapon vehicular tonnage by 4/10 to get weapon tonnage for battle armor?
Greetings to you too.
Drasnighta
02/09/07 02:50 PM

No Formula, but plenty of tables in the appropriate sourcebooks... Perhaps one can be deduced from that, but it'd deal with some arbitrary's, so I wouldn't count on it.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
NewPharoah_Max
02/13/07 02:16 PM

I see. I'd prefer to design a 'Mech that can use many small lasers to manufacture a Valentine's Day card made out of solid rock.
Greetings to you too.
Askhati
02/15/07 03:35 AM

Sounds like someone didn't get any one V-day...
Evolve or DIE!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6628

Contact Admins Sarna.net