Need information on primary and secondary languages.

Pages: 1
CharlesShoults
10/02/06 11:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I need some information about languages for various factions in Battletech. I have the ones listed in MechWarrior 3rd Edition but I could really use the rest.

Draconis Combine - Japanese ----- Swedenese, Arabic, English
Federated Suns - English ----- French, German, Hindi, Russian
Capellan Confederation - Mandarin ----- English, Russian, Scottish, Gaelic, Hindi, Arabic
Free Worlds League - English ----- Spanish, Greek, Romanian, Urdu
Lyran Alliance - German ----- Scottish, Gaelic, Italian, Swedish, English
Free Rasalhague Republic - Swedish ----- English, Japanese, Swedenese, German
Taurian Concordat - English ----- Spanish, French
Magistracy of Canopus - English ----- Spanish, Greek, Romanian, Urdu
Outworlds Alliance - English ----- Japanese, French

It says that minor or independent worlds use English as a primary and just about anything for a secondary. Clan lists English as primary and no secondary.

I suppose English could be the primary language for anything that isn't already specified but if anyone has found other languages in print, I'd appreciate knowing what they are. I'm looking for the following. I would guess that most things coreward or related to ComStar would be English-speaking.
Circinus Federation
ComStar
Eridani Light Horse
Fiefdom of Randis
Hanseatic League (Is this one actually battletech or just a 14th century trading guild?)
Royal Black Watch
Solaris
Umayyad Caliphate
Word of Blake
Toontje
10/03/06 02:28 AM

WoB would have same as C*
Royal black watch would be english/scottisch
Umayyad could be anything, but most likey arabic and spanisch
Hanseatic League english imo, fom the fleet designations, but not sure on that one.
Rather to blow up, then.
CrayModerator
10/03/06 08:14 AM

Quote:

I need some information about languages for various factions in Battletech. I have the ones listed in MechWarrior 3rd Edition but I could really use the rest.

One of the problems in that effort is that every major faction is made of hundreds of worlds settled by different ethnicities, cultures, and nations. Hundreds of languages are in use.

However, Star League Standard English and its derivatives should be either a primary or secondary language throughout most of settled space, including the nearby Periphery (like Circinus and the Marian Hegemony). So...

Circinus Federation - English, plus maybe some local lingos used by the original settlers

ComStar - English, plus hundreds of other languages (Comstar is formed of people from around human space)

Eridani Light Horse - English, plus any number of languages used by its members from around human space

Fiefdom of Randis - English, plus probably a few languages from its members from around human space

Hanseatic League - ruled by ex-Lyrans, it'll speak English, German, plus whatever its original pre-Lyran settlers used

Royal Black Watch - English, plus any number of languages used by its members from around human space

Solaris - A Lyran planet, it will use English, German, plus a score of languages from its visitors

Umayyad Caliphate - English, plus probably some Arabic.

Word of Blake - See Comstar
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Toontje
10/03/06 09:14 AM

I disagree on the primary language in the Umayyad Caliphate/The other half in that twin state; it is modelled after middeval spain, with even the last stronghold of the Ummayids named after the last stronghold of the mores (Grenada).

So Arabc/Spanish would b primar with potentially english/german for trade (with the hanseatic league primarily)
Rather to blow up, then.
CharlesShoults
10/03/06 10:47 PM

We're probably all familiar with The Drawing Board, The Vehicle Factory and a number of other applications out there. I've even seen one intended to created MW3 character sheets but it doesn't look like it was ever finished. Within the game that I'm working on, I'm incorporating all of these things, making it into kind of an extended version of the classic Battletech game. Players will be able to use surface elements of the Battletech game itself or go into more depth, using fully developed Mechwarrior characters along with engineers, mechanics and other support staff. You'll be able to create mercenary units if you like and take on contracts from various books and over time, home-built contracts and scenarios. It will start with a few battlegrounds and over time, I'll add more but I'm looking at the fields themselves working with a deformable terrain system. I'm not sure how good the graphics will be. It won't be a 3D system, but if a 'Mech explodes or if mines are set off and leave craters, those craters will still be there if you visit the battleground later. Trees that are burned out will still be that way, but grass may grow back. Any buildings, will stay damaged the next time you return, but you may see evidence of locals trying to rebuild.

Depends on how much time I have and how much help I can get.

I needed the language and cultural information so that I can correctly set up the character specifics. Anyone know if any of the organizations not listed in the Mechwarrior 3rd Edition book have any specific traits or path restrictions?
CrayModerator
10/04/06 04:48 PM

Quote:

I disagree on the primary language in the Umayyad Caliphate/The other half in that twin state; it is modelled after middeval spain, with even the last stronghold of the Ummayids named after the last stronghold of the mores (Grenada).

So Arabc/Spanish would b primar with potentially english/german for trade (with the hanseatic league primarily)

I could believe that.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Mutig
02/23/07 06:02 AM

"Lyran Alliance - German ----- Scottish, Gaelic, Italian, Swedish, English"

I must have missed where Scottish was a language. The closest thing I can think of for a true Scottish tongue would have to be Pictish. . . which would be fine had it not been for the fact that the Picts were virtually eleminated by the Celts an Saxons.
"Load the Spaceship with the rocket fuel!"

Stay Away
From Captain Howdy
Toontje
02/23/07 11:34 AM

Aye, laddy, ye ar right in tet regard.
Rather to blow up, then.
Nightward
02/26/07 03:13 AM

The Clans speak Star`League Standard English because they seek to uphold what was extant and worthwhile from the Star League. When they do converse in English, they do so without contractions, and, one would assume, a high degree of literacy and grammar.

However, many Clansmen are capable of dealing with another language, this being dependant on Clan. The Wolves, for example, focus on Russian in order to better understand the writings of the Kerenskys (all originally in Russian). Due to the influence of Karen Nagasawa and... the Jade Falcon woman, I foget her name, two other Clans have a go at Japanese. The Cloud Cobra Cloisters that are Judaic and Islamic would study the Jewish and Arabic languages appropriate to the Tora and Qua'ran. The Ghost Bears probably delve into Finnish or Swedish or whatever it is.

But the only truly common, official, language in use by the Clans is the aforementioned Star League Standard English.

And for the warriors, Clan BattleSpeak. Which I imagine would be something like 1337.

>>Royal Black Watch

Scots Gaelic. At least for those who survived the Huntress campaign and were originally from the Nortwind Highlanders. Since the Black Watch was multi-national an expanding, though, probably another case of Star League Standard English, because very little else would be shared.

>>Eridani Light Horse

SL SE.

>>Solaris

Solaris VII is held by the Lyran Commonwealth. So, German or SL SE.

>>Aye, laddy, ye ar right in tet regard.

Heh. One could make the argument that someone with a thick enough Scots brogue is communicating in dialect different enough to be considered another language. God knows the BT authors mangle it badly enough any way.

What I think they mean, though, is just shorthand for Scots Gaelic. It's just that as soon as you say "Gaelic", 50% of people say "Garlic? Since when has that been a language? WTF?" and the other 50% say "Gaelic, yes, can only mean what the Irish speak..."

As we all know, BT was written by and for Americans.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12999

Contact Admins Sarna.net