Evasive MP from Maximum Tech and Total Warfare and AT2

Pages: 1
NewPharoah_Max
02/13/07 02:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Evasive MP equals running/flank MP. So let's say we got two 'Mechs that are identical except one has a run of 5 and the other 10. Where is the science in that the 'Mech that has 10 running MP has to use all 10 MP for evasive whereas the other 'Mech has to only use 5 MP? And aerounits may spend 2 MP to take evasive movement. Also one of the Total Warfare tables in the back of that book mentions the word various as a type of evasive bonus? I'd like a clarification on that. I'm at library and I don't have that book with me.
Greetings to you too.

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (02/14/07 12:15 PM)
Nightward
02/13/07 09:50 PM

There is no Evasive Movement in TW. It was a Level 3 rule.

BT works on an abstracted scale involving turns. If you use Evasive movement, you either suffer a to-hit penalty for your own attacks or can't fire at all (I forget which, and I'm not dragging MT out).

A unit going Evasive spends their movement making themselves hader to hit. They don't spend 50% of their movement being harder to hit, 75% of their movement being harder to hit, or nine elevenths of their movement being harder to hit. They just go evasive, end of story. Just like they either Walk or Run.

AT2, AFAIK, doesn't have Evasive movement. Because, let's face it, that would be retarded. "I'm a McKenna! Watch me spend 2MP! I'm EVASIVE and YOU CAN'T HIT ME! AHAHAHA!"

Man what?

Maybe for ASFs and Small Craft. And even then, what you're describing would operate as a Special Manoevre.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
02/13/07 10:46 PM

Arguing with HeroChip is a lost cause. I'm a bit embarassed I replied to him elsewhere today. HeroChip has his own...unique...view that doesn't accept outside input.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Toontje
02/14/07 04:38 AM

Sometimes it loks like youre getting somewhere, and there he angles off perpendicular to all previous trains of thought.

Yes, it includes imaginary space, too.
Rather to blow up, then.
sdog
02/14/07 10:40 AM

Imaginary space would be quite good for evasive maneuvers! Only the imaginary part of complex shots could hit a mech after such a maneuver. But be carefull with ECM, in range of ECM your mech will be complex conjugated if you try to get to imaginary space.

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community
NewPharoah_Max
02/14/07 12:22 PM

Quote:

BT works on an abstracted scale involving turns. If you use Evasive movement, you either suffer a to-hit penalty for your own attacks or can't fire at all (I forget which, and I'm not dragging MT out).

A unit going Evasive spends their movement making themselves hader to hit. They don't spend 50% of their movement being harder to hit, 75% of their movement being harder to hit, or nine elevenths of their movement being harder to hit. They just go evasive, end of story. Just like they either Walk or Run.

AT2, AFAIK, doesn't have Evasive movement. Because, let's face it, that would be retarded. "I'm a McKenna! Watch me spend 2MP! I'm EVASIVE and YOU CAN'T HIT ME! AHAHAHA!"

Maximum Tech rules prohibit attacking while using evasive MP. I was curious if a unit using such evasive MP is actually sprinting and the only MP available to use for moving into/out of hexes is equal to that of running. And I'm sure I read in AT2 that a unit spending 2 thrust points for a +2 to-hit modifier evasive bonus.
Greetings to you too.
Nightward
02/14/07 05:21 PM

Nah, Sprinting is something else. You move at two twimes your Walk MP and can't shoot. Evasion is running MP, +1 to be hit, and you can't shoot.

Neither AT2 nor Total Warfare have the Evasion rule you mention.

I don't think it's an unviable house-ruled special manoevre for small craft, like I said, but something in me just twitches at the idea of McKenna-Class WarShips "going evasive."
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
02/18/07 06:16 PM

Quote:

Nah, Sprinting is something else. You move at two twimes your Walk MP and can't shoot. Evasion is running MP, +1 to be hit, and you can't shoot.

Not entirely the information needed. Sprinting is double walk but -1 for enemy to hit you to your overall modifier. Evasion adds +1 to you piloting skill and can be either a straight +1 on your distance modifier (must be counted as "running") or based on your piloting skill, +1 for 7-6 +2 for 4-5, +3 for 3-2 and +4 for 1-0 I think ( it makes a 1 pilot dasher near on impossible to hit .... except with artilery though ).
NewPharoah_Max
03/09/07 05:30 PM

Check TW book p. 237 Aerospace Attack Modifiers table in regards to target evasion and attacker evasion both are various to-hit modifiers. This needs to be clarified.
Greetings to you too.
Greyslayer
03/11/07 07:55 PM

I was only talking from Maximum Tech, no idea on the other books. Practically purchased nothing since Master Rules (not not even Master Rules Revised).
Nightward
03/12/07 04:13 AM

Report to your local Word of Blake training centre for consumer re-education, Citizen.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8885

Contact Admins Sarna.net