Transforming question.

Pages: 1
JackGarrity
03/23/07 01:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok.. now that its been drilled into me, LAMS actually convert through mecha to plane mode.. I was wondering, are there any rules for LAMS that are say.. hovertank to mech.. tank to mech? hell, tank to protomech? or.. if not, what are the closest to canon, not twinky fan made crazy, that could be used. Finished re watching bubblegum crisis and ive a motoroid bug in my head, pondering a elemental able to link up with something else.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CrayModerator
03/23/07 08:23 AM

Quote:

Ok.. now that its been drilled into me, LAMS actually convert through mecha to plane mode.. I was wondering, are there any rules for LAMS that are say.. hovertank to mech.. tank to mech?

No canon rules. Canon LAM rules only go from 'mech to fighter.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
JackGarrity
03/29/07 05:41 AM

damn well any best guess ideas? or how to go about it, was pondering somehting light, like a 20ton hovertank that had a bipedal mode and could carry a single PA'd solider, or that might be easier to do with a protomech. just a random idea.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
SCUM
04/02/07 01:47 PM

Make a transformer out of a proto? You'll fold the pilot into a pretzel!
Jer 33:3
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Promo Code:scumsentme
KamikazeJohnson
04/02/07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Make a transformer out of a proto? You'll fold the pilot into a pretzel!

Mmmmm...pretzel...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Tripod
04/09/07 10:59 AM

i thought proto's used the wee little clan aerospace pilots and rode in the torso?

if you've nto see "robot jocks(jox maybe) check it out in all it's cheesyness. the US's "mech" converted into a ground vehicle... this idea has crossed my mind before....
TBA
Mutig
04/10/07 12:17 AM

Clearly none of you know of the secret Saladin -> Mechbuster -> Hunchback trifecta...he ancient knowledge of which seems to reside soley with the Mason's and Grey Aliens.
"Load the Spaceship with the rocket fuel!"

Stay Away
From Captain Howdy
JackGarrity
05/16/07 04:21 AM

Robot Jox and Robot Wars rules i have both, old school mechazness heheh. Yeah.. there should be some fesable way of doing a variable form mech, not power rangery or zomg Gundamy but wihtin the scope of canon or near canon rules from.. Reliable, sources, *cough* or a way to simulate it, since, okay a 100 tank and a 100 ton mech dont look a lot alike, But there are similairies in thier design after all.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Goundry
02/14/08 11:19 AM

why not use ther same rules as and limitaions as for a LAM same percentage of space and crits taken up us instead of wings you have tracks
Christopher_Perkins
02/14/08 08:59 PM

lets see, the LAM goes from Mech, to AirMech, to Fighter like the SDF Macross Mecha

if a unit was similarly based on the concept of the transformable Tank from SDF Southern Cross, then it woudl be from Tank, to Walking Gunnery Platform, to Mecha...

Not sure how to represent the Walking Gunnery Platform... no arms, shorter than a full battlemech, humm, have to watch the Robotech corruption of SDF Sourthern Cross again, have forgotten the strong points of the interim stage... for some reason I am remembering that the middle stage was better able to use its weapon... perhapse building the Mid Stage with vehicle style slots and then downgrading an artillery weapon to autocannon that would fit in the crits available... but no tonnage would be freed up by the conversion...

IOW, if the Hybrid mode has a Thumper... the Thumper has the preformance characteristics of an Autocannon 2... or, perhapse the preformance characteristics of the Artillery "Cannon" in MaxTech would better suit since it would still have the same ammo... and the Critical Placement would be based on the criticals in Mech mode.

Humm, much to think about...

Design Considerations
0: Mech Tonnage Limits
1: Mech IS
2: Mech HS
3: Mech Armour limits
4: Tank Slot Considerations for Tank & Hybrid Mode torsos
5: Standard 1x Jump Jet preformance in Mech and Hybird mode, while Tank mode woudl be Kanga like at best.
6: Mech Crew
7: Mech Cockpit
8: Mech Gyros
9: Mech engine and Speed calculations with no support factor boosts even if Wheeled or Hover tank in tank mode.
10: Arm and torso weapons point front in tank mode, and the front battlemech fireing arc (include torso twist) in Hybrid mode)
11: Conversion mode mass a factor in Mech mode... but thinking about setting Artillery / Cannon Mass in Mech Mode with 10% of Total unit Mass mass nerf, while in Hybrid Mode the mass is Accounted for the Full Artillery Weapon as long as the 10% Cushion is not exceeded. (to carry a LongBow Artillry Cannon, the Mech mode would have to have 20 tons and 15 crits Free in Mech mode and the Hybrid Mode would need to be able to fit the Vehicle Slots in the Torso and be able to handle the additional 10 Tons...

To Carry the Dual Mode LongTom... a Hybrid Tank would have to be a minimum of 100 Tons

To Carry the Dual Mode Sniper... a Hybrid Tank would have to be a minimum of 50 Tons

to Carry the Dual Mode Thumper, a Hybrid Tank would have to be a minimum of 50 Tos as well

12: Jump Jets would be at mech weights

Thoughts on these loose throwaway rules seeds?
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (02/14/08 09:13 PM)
Fang
02/19/08 11:04 AM

walking gunnery platform? Kinda like the old Goliath from CBT? or any decent assault quad?
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Christopher_Perkins
02/24/08 09:42 AM

no.. more like a turret with legs

http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/sc/vht_1_hovertank/vht_1_hovertank.htm

Here is a page about the Harmony Gold / Palladium version of the original

Personally, i'd rather see rules for the tanks that have a tank lower body and a battlemech upper body as is occasionally seen in unit insignia...

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Tripod
02/25/08 01:07 AM

thats where my mind went with this... something akin to what CP said.
TBA
Askhati
02/25/08 02:30 AM

Hmm, how about construction rules that simply replace the legs of a BattleMech with the body of a vehicle? You would have to tinker with the max armor rules though, since vehicles are not limited in that regard, or you could simply spread the armor normally allocated to the legs over four locations (which would be a bit thin...)

Also, the 'Mech would then be able to torso twist all the way around, like a turret. Hmm... It would be a bit top-heavy, methinks. Artillery would have a field day against designs like that - just drop a shell next to it and watch the concussion flip it over.
Evolve or DIE!
Christopher_Perkins
02/26/08 01:00 AM

one way would be to determine the Mass of a Turret

that is divide the IS tonnage by number of IS points of the Vehicle
Multiply that number by the number of IS points in the Turret

Multiply the number of Armour Points on the Turret by the Mass of the Armour Points

Add these two figures to the Mass of any Weapons in the Turret

Add the Final figure to the 10% of turret weapons mass that is recorded for the turret.

The Tonnage of the Vehicle less the Above Figure is the mass of the Lower part of the unit.

If the Base Vehicle does not have a turret, use the mass of the full vehicle

-----------------------

Next determine the mass of the lower body of the mech

Multiply the mass of a point of armour by the number of armour pips on both legs.

Divide the IS mass by the Total number of IS Pips on the Mech, multiply this figure by the number of IS pips on the Legs

Add these two figures for the mass of the Legs to the mass of any HS or other Equipment in the Legs (mass of actuators included in IS Mass)

the mass of the non-leg portion of the Mech + the mass of the Chassis of the vehicle = the Mass of the Tank - Mech

not sure how to deal with the Engines... one method is to free up tonnage by removing either engine and recalculating the speed for the unit using the vehicle rules and the remaining engine... otherwise, use the vehicle engine's rating to calc the new MP

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10383

Contact Admins Sarna.net