Okay need some help with an idea...

Pages: 1
Karagin
05/05/07 07:41 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay after spending the day on Thursday moving around some connexes (aka shipping containers) I started to wonder if something like them could be made into HQ and medical type units...I know the US Army has expando connexes for medical OR rooms and such, but what I was thinking was 20 foot connex that could be air delivered via the Karnov and similar units to a site and then set up...

Now the issues and problem, which rule set to use. Do I go with the trailer rules from MaxTech or do I use the installation rules?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
05/05/07 07:44 PM

Quote:

Okay after spending the day on Thursday moving around some connexes (aka shipping containers) I started to wonder if something like them could be made into HQ and medical type units...I know the US Army has expando connexes for medical OR rooms and such, but what I was thinking was 20 foot connex that could be air delivered via the Karnov and similar units to a site and then set up...

Now the issues and problem, which rule set to use. Do I go with the trailer rules from MaxTech or do I use the installation rules?

I'd lean toward the trailer rules. Installations are of unknown mass. Trailers can be statted out for easy determination of their mass as payload. You'd probably want a minimal engine on at least one of the connected modules to power the assembly.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
05/05/07 08:31 PM

Okay I will play around with the trailer rules...
Karagin

Tripod
05/20/07 06:36 AM

im not sure what a connex is... but your idea of a trailer hq or med unit delivered by vtol is neat. one problem that pops into mind is, once they are delivered on site, how are they moved into place? i would not expect the vtol to place them preciecly uppon delivery. you would need a "yard dog" to place them. a small truck of sorts designed for that specific task. it could also have an over-rated or seperate engine to serve as the power supply for the unit once it's assembled. just my 2c
TBA
Karagin
05/20/07 11:47 AM

Connex is a shipping container, the same kind you see down at the docks in most big cities on the ocean. They can be 20 to 40 feet long.
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/21/07 09:15 AM

Quote:

im not sure what a connex is...

"Multi-modal" shipping containers that are handled by trains, ships, and trucks:
http://www.erichall.eu/images/USA2002/sw2029.jpg
http://www.shipping-london.co.uk/Images/cargoShip.jpg
http://www.ise.ncsu.edu/kay/mhetax/UnitEq/Images/Intermodal%20Container.gif

They can be more than shipping containers. They can be fitted as military field base buildings: offices, MASH units, etc.

Quote:

but your idea of a trailer hq or med unit delivered by vtol is neat. one problem that pops into mind is, once they are delivered on site, how are they moved into place? i would not expect the vtol to place them preciecly uppon delivery. you would need a "yard dog" to place them. a small truck of sorts designed for that specific task. it could also have an over-rated or seperate engine to serve as the power supply for the unit once it's assembled. just my 2c

Hence the utility of designing them as a trailers. Under current BT rules, they'd be easy to tow around with a truck or tractor.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
05/21/07 10:30 AM

"they'd be easy to tow around with a truck or tractor."

yup, thats why i used the term yard dog. thats what truckers call the barebones truck used to manuver trailers arround yards and load docks. it can almost fit in a trailer....hmm...
TBA
Tripod
06/05/07 06:41 AM

does the connex have wheels? or is it just the box container? if it has wheels, it would at least require a suspension factor, but not a drivetrain. sonce the suspension factor is determined(i believe) by cruising movement, i'd say base it on how fast it can be moved. a "trailer" that can only be moved at a safe speed of 3/5 woudl have less suspension that one capable of being moved at 8-12. does that make sence, i never got into vehicles alot, but did go over the design rules years ago.
TBA
Karagin
06/05/07 10:52 PM

It is a box container and so it has no suspension factor unless we go with the trailer idea to move it around.
Karagin

Tripod
06/06/07 05:35 AM

i kinda dig the idea of it being a trainler, and one of them contain the truck to move them into place. and these rules are mostly in place. no real off the wall house rules needed to make that idea work, right?
TBA
sdog
06/06/07 11:36 AM

where you thinking of something like this:

it's a centre for first treatment of the german army.

thats how it's transported

here's a mash:

this mash consists of 48 20 foot iso containers, and provides 200 beds.

the full mash of german armed forces consists of 145 tents and 142 containers. 88 trucks and 40 trailers are the transport unit. a medical staff of 448 treats the paients.

if helicopters are used, no cranes are necessary. tractors or yard dogs aren't helpfull as they can't lift the containers.

the information is from a german language page: http://www.panzerbaer.de/materials/bw_mse_flaz_allgem-a.htm

i'm pretty sure your us army even got some bigger facilities.

why do you need something like that for a combat game? medical structurs, with a red cross aren't allowed to be attacked anyways.
and i doubt you'll find a player who'd volunteer to role play someone doing such crimes of war.

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community

Edited by sdog (06/06/07 11:39 AM)
Karagin
06/07/07 09:30 PM

The small connex trailers are a pain the rear end...PLS trucks work better.

But something similar to above trailer, but more modular in design and usage.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12023

Contact Admins Sarna.net