Landser Flak 'Mech

Pages: 1
Askhati
01/23/08 05:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
An idea that had been with me for some time. Most of you are aware of the strafing attacks that air units are capable of when participating in a surface engagement (all energy weapons can fire at all targets along the attack lane/vector), and it got me thinking: why would you then want to concentrate all your AAA in a single unit like the Partisan tank, if a single aerospace unit could repeatedly strafe it until it was scrap?

With this in mind, I started working on a more mobile, diversified AAA unit. Following the venerable Panther design, I came up with something that at first reminded me of a lighter Legionnaire (MWDA design). The idea is to have a lance or two of these guys - fast and long-ranged, with plenty of ammo - roaming your flanks and rear echelon, providing AAA from a more spread-out (and thus less vulnerable) position. Let me know what you think.

Code:

LD-2S Landser

Chassis: Unknown
Power Plant: Unknown 280 XL
Cruising Speed: 86
Maximum Speed: 129
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Unknown with CASE
Armament:
1 ER Medium Laser
1 LB 5-X AC
1 Streak SRM 2
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

LD-2S Landser

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 3
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: - EndoSteel 1.75
Engine: 280 XL 8
Walking MP: 8
Running MP: 12
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 0
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 94 - Ferro-Fibrous 5.25

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 8
Center Torso 11 13
Center Torso(rear) 5
R/L Torso 8 10
R/L Torso(rear) 4
R/L Arm 6 10
R/L Leg 8 10

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
LB 5-X AC Ammo - Cluster RT 1 1
LB 5-X AC Ammo - Slug RT 1 1
Streak SRM 2 Ammo RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
LB 5-X AC RA 5 8
ER Medium Laser CT 1 1
Streak SRM 2 CT 1 1.5

Evolve or DIE!
Dester
01/24/08 01:48 PM

Interesting concept. I know units like the partisian is used as AA is because they are realitvily cheap compaired to battlemechs that serve a niche roll.

Using mechs would give you a little more flexability and mobility, so I can see wheere you are going with this.

I have some concerns about your design though. First off is the lack of armor. If you are going to be
AAA, that means you need to stand in the path and take a strafe to get the best shot back at the incoming fighter.

Second, in the survivability catagory, the XL engine should probably go. This also will drasticly reduce the speed, but also the price tag.

so maybe something like
40 tons
5/8/5
8 tons of armor
endo-steel
14 tons for weapons, ammo and equipment.
Few more if you drop the jump jets
might be able to shave another ton by going FFA too

I like the concept of a moble AAA unit, but it would both be extreamly specialized, and uncommon. Maybe attach this to artilry or HQ u nits to provide some extra protection.

With your mech the way it is, I believe it would be to expensive to justify replacing a few partisans or other air defense mechs such as the rifleman/ jagermech. Infact it might be more practical to have a field mod kit to upgrade both of those mechs then creating a totally new chassis.

Dester
Askhati
01/26/08 06:27 AM

Ja, you actually have several good points there. I was mainly trying to get something like the Pack Hunter - a light 'Mech that uses its speed and range to stay out of danger, and would be dangerous to encounter in any lance-size or bigger formation. The LB-X gives it a decent advantage against air yes, but it should probably rather be a secondary capability than the primary selling point.

The Landser is 5 tons heavier than the comparitive Pack Hunter, is somewhat faster (8/12/0 vs 7/11/7) but lacking in JJ, has two tons more armor (96 vs 64), and carries a slightly more diversified array of weaponry, with the option existing to replace the LB-X with an ERPPC and some additional heatsinks.

I could actually see the Landser working as a light 'Mech hunter - it has the speed to match any contemporary design (as well as to avoiding extensive damage), and the -1 BTH of the LB-X in cluster mode gives it a useful bonus against both fast and airborne (or jumping) targets. The ERML and the SSRM2 also gives it extra teeth at close range, especially against light vehicles that might be able to keep up with it speed-wise.

Any further crit would be appreciated, as well as maybe a rough guess as to how you would deploy this design in the field (if you could choose to field them). Also, any tactics on how to counter the Landser would be interesting to see as well.
Evolve or DIE!
Askhati
02/15/08 05:42 PM

Anyone?

I would really appreciate some feedback - I want to use this 'Mech in a story, and I want to know beforehand whether there are any glaring errors that I should be aware of.
Evolve or DIE!
Dester
02/15/08 06:41 PM

It really depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to make it a deadicated anti air mech, i would do what i did in my above post.

If you just want a mech to put some fluff around, there is not wrong answer. While i find some mechs worthless, they all have a roll to play. Take the 3025 version of the Jagermech. used long range against veichles and such it does ok, only when you try and take it into a slug fest or expect more then light fire support from it do you have issues.

Good luck.
Dester
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5424

Contact Admins Sarna.net