What Alternate Rules would you like to see done?

Pages: 1
Christopher_Perkins
02/03/08 01:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
An update of the Solaris VII Boxed Set rules that uses the BattleTech RPG 2nd Edition Skills but adds in the weapons that have been incorporated since the publication of Solaris: The Reaches & Tactical Handbook. Much Effort would be expended in consolidating the tables from all publications that had weapons for the last 20 years, Be it published in a Level 1, Level 2 Standard, Level 2 Advanced, Level 3 Advanced, or Level 3 Experimental Book.

An update of the Mechwarrior's Guide to Solaris VII rules that are geared towards Mineratures & Hex based play using BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition Skills and have usable range tables that will give the BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition Ranges and other stats for the RPG.

Rules for emulation of real world weapons in BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition.

Rules for conversion of Combat Scale Weapons from BattleTech to BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition... and vice versa.

The Last two would probably be easier to do combined than seperated. and the First two would share much of the same materiel with the numbers filed off the range tables.
Which Alternate Rules would you like to see?
You may choose 6
None, Quite Satisfied with the published game.
Other Rules than you listed - I will expand.
Update Solaris VII Boxed Set
Update Mechwarriors Guide to Solaris VII
Emulation of Real World Weapons in BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition
Conversion of BattleTech weapons to BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition
Rules to allow for Pintle Mounted weapons on combat vehicles above 5000 kg gvw
Rules to expand on field guns (MaxTech)

Votes accepted from (02/03/08 12:48 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Christopher_Perkins
02/13/08 10:49 PM

Updating the Solaris VII rules would appear to be relatively simple

1: Find out what the 2.5 Second delay rates are
A: easiest method would be to extropolate from the existing weapons
when a weapon exists in the Solaris: The Reaches for the clans, and does not exist for the is in Solaris VII Boxed Set, the delay woud be proportionate to the similar weapons that are in both clans and IS tech.

B: Harder is to look at the 5 Second Delays published in Mechwarriors Guide to Solaris VII

C: Guess could ask PTB for remainder of information with "Is this similar to preformance break out desired with new weapons?"

2: Determine what Game to write the Update for.
A: Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 2nd Edition
Pro: Abandoned, and many people still use it.
Pro: Scales better with BattleTech
Con: Powers that Be even less likely to lend support to project
Pro: Write from Beginning as Minerature Rules game that can be used on either Hexes or inches... Note in "Note on Scale" that Hexes are slightly larger than inches but scale with the BattleTech Maps Released in Map Pack Solaris VII better than the Standard Rules do... it that matters to the player.

B: Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition
Con: Appears to conflict with Mechwarrior's Guide to Solaris VII
Pro: Longer Ranges Linked with more possible results between 0 and 8 in canon 2d10 system compared to range bands used in canon 2d6 System
Pro: Write From Beginning as Minerature Rules Game that can be used on either Hexes or Inches
Con: MUCH larger range... Inches or hexes could easily be 3 times as far as previous... and if scaling to inches rather than hexes, may as well go with 4" per BattleTech Hex in 2e Min rules and 13" per BattleTech Hex in 3e Min Rules

With this... Might be best to write as two companion PDFs that share most of the text or one Combined PDF with Tables for both Skill Sets and Both Weapon Ranges.

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Christopher_Perkins
02/14/08 12:41 AM

1: State that new Equivelencie from BattleTech To Mechwarrior is Closer to AP 5, 10d6 Per BattleTech Point of Damage (+1 Ap per -1D6, -1 AP for +1D6) vice the AP = BT & D6 = 3*BT originally printed on Page 128 or Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition... under the rules there was no way that Machine Guns could do damage to BattleMechs regardless of what carried them. While accurate, (why is it that BattleTech Machine Guns can damage TANK ARMOUR at ANY RANGE, let alone the absurdly long range of 90 Meters?) this appears to assume that BattleMechs carry hunting rounds rather than AP Ammo (minimum of 5 AP to be considered "AP") and lightly powered at that...

2: State that Fluff characteristics of a Weapon are Stats in the Mechwarrior Conversion... if a weapon is stated to Fire a Three Round Burst, then determine what dividing the BattleTech Damage /.80 turns up (assume 80% hit rate for a burst) ... and then Calculate the equivelencie by dividing that figure by 3...

Note, there is a reason for a Large Diameter Shell that is heavier and faster to do the same AP ad Damage Dice that a Smaller and Slower shell does... its the surface area that the shell affects. but that will be covered under the RW > BattleTech Conversion Article... Note, Damage Dice affects the CEG ammo weights, so Higher AP = Lighter Shell for Same Damage...

3: Optional: Convert Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 2nd Edition Archetypes to Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 3nd Edition Archetypes... the Books Wasted Space in this manner, so why not? Note, will be using points Method rather than dice method

4: humm... thats enough for now, i guess.

Karagin
03/17/08 03:00 AM

Dropping MW3 RPG all together and going back MW2 RPG.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Christopher_Perkins
04/02/08 10:24 PM

Doing both Versions

Dueling Rules for these Axis

2d10 (RPG 3e) & 2d6 (RPG 1e & 2e)
1 m, 5 m, 7.5 m, 15 m, 30 m (in 2d6 = 30 m and 2d10 = 100 m flavors)
2.5 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec

So far thats 10 Worksheets for the Infantry, Powered Armour, and Vehicle Class Innersphere Weapons
and will be another 10 Worksheets for the Clan Weapons

or rather, for both Tech Type Tables...
2d6 (base 30 - shorter range, 36 total dice results possible)
1 m, 5 m, 7.5 m, 15 m, 30 m
2d10 (Base 100 - longer range, 100 total dice results possible)
1 m, 5 m, 7.5 m, 15 m, 30 m

Aiming at having the Rules for both gaming systems integrated (pick and choose based on your preference) and incorporating Infantry, BattleArmour, Vehicle and Battlemech Sections

Only thing that i am not sure about is how the time factors would play with the Heat Tables

2.5 sec * 7.5 m dueling rules had 4x weapon heat, 1x movement heat, and 1x dissapation
5 sec * 15 m dueling rules had 1x weapon heat, 1x movement heat, and 0.5x dissapation (needless to say i am NOT gonna do it that way in my rework - i want it to be USABLE, back to 2x weapon heat, 1x movement heat and 1x dissapation)

the major issue i am experiencing is how to handle Rapid Fire Capability... thinking that i will be trying to get it working so that the shots in 10 seconds will have the same RAC modifier regardless of whither the 6 shots were all in a single 2.5 or 5 second turn or spread out over the course of 10 seconds... Not good at doing this

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7867

Contact Admins Sarna.net