Flame-themed mechs

Pages: 1
Jerjare
06/08/08 07:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was thinking about how one of the (optional?) rules for flamers is that instead of it doing 2 damage, it raises the enemy mech's heat by 2. Now, years ago when we played I thought flamers were pretty useless, since for 1 ton you could get a medium laser that was better in virtually every category (we didn't use infantry in campaigns) plus whats the point of raising the other mech's heat by 2 when the flamer raises your OWN heat by 3?!

But now i'm starting to change my mind. I had an idea for a lance of medium-heavy mechs armed primarily with flamers, inferno SRMs, jump jets, TSM and hatchets. The idea is they would be designed to ideally fight in heavily forested areas, though cities would work nicely too. They would focus-fire on heat heavy mechs, raising the mech's heat and also activating their own TSM so they could hack the mech apart with hatchets that dealt 2x damage.

Of course there's no way to be good at everything, and a big flaw in my idea is that to get IS mechs that are speedy and well-armored aside from the heat weapons the mechs would be significantly under-gunned for their weight. However in forests there'd be plenty of opportunities to set everything on fire to use for cover. These designs would also be particularly brutal against infantry and vehicles (don't infernos insta-gib vehicles on an 8+? )

Anybody played around with flamer/inferno SRM combos? Would it be worthwhile to have this loadout or would it be more effective to have it as a short-ranged secondary armament that compliments longer ranged (ie LRMs, PPCs, etc) weapons?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3960

Contact Admins Sarna.net