Design Competition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Dester
07/09/08 04:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Design Competition

Avalon Productions have put out a call for prototype and other non standard combat units to participate in a competition. The winning unit will be scripted into a new action movie as the star roll as well as receiving the right to be produced by Dream Works Armaments for general sale and the 20 million C-Bill purse. All competitors will be required to sign over the holo-vid rights to all combats involving their design to Avalon Productions during the competition. To insure a fair and exciting fight, Avalon Productions has imposed the following criteria combatant design and rules for winning.

1) One design per contestant please.
2) Each unit will fight all other units in competition one on one using a generic terrain (one standard battletech map).
3) 100 victory points will be awarded to the winner modified on a price scale. The average price of all contestants will be determined and the base 100 points will be adjusted depending on where the winning unit falls, up or down, rounded down. Unit with the highest total modified points at the end win.
4) Battlemechs and Vehicles (hover, tracked, wheeled) are allowed all others are not due to difficulty in shooting the battle.
5) All pilot/ crews will be assigned a generic vet pilot (3 gunnery, 4 piloting)
6) General Design restrictions:
a) Minimum tonnage is 20. We aren’t shooting battle of the midgets here.
b) Speed must be (60/tonnage) + 2 round up, at a minimum. There will be no barley mobile light gun turrets on the field. (Despite some cannon units, 2 is not an acceptable walk/cruise ratio.)
c) Fractional Accounting (FA). All units will be divisible by 5 for total weight. For mechs FA is limited to engine/ endo steel combos that both result in .25 to save that extra ½ ton. Vehicles may use fractional accounting for engines, control equipment, power amplifiers and turrets only.
d) Tech. All level 1 weapons are allowed. No, clan equipment is allowed. No artillery is allowed. Melee weapons will be restricted to hatchets only. All old school level 2 tech is allowed. This includes with appropriate ammo:
ER Large Laser
ER PPC
Pulse lasers (small, med. Large)
LBX-10 AC
Ultra AC-5
Artemis IV
Streak SRM-2
Narc pod
Guardian ECM
Beagle probe
Endo Steel
Ferro fiber armor
XL engines
CASE
MASC
TSM
Anti-missile system
Double heat sinks
C3 computer + slave (though this is wasted tonnage in individual competition)
f) Finally, no more then 2 of any one weapon will be allowed.

Please submit enough data to reconstruct your Unit and any fluff or suggestions on how to use it in combat.

I will take submissions until the end of July, 2008 or until I get a total of 8 designs is approved.

Enjoy
Dester
Fang
07/10/08 02:56 PM

Is fluff a requirement? I could post a design, and then fluff later if that s ok. Having a fluff brainfart atm, sorry to say.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Dester
07/10/08 03:04 PM

No fluff is required. A bonus for sure, but not required. I added some basic fluff to the competition for those that like to fully flesh out their designs and to provide a little something for everyone.

Dester
Fang
07/10/08 04:15 PM

Carbine (3055ish?)
IS level2
65 tons
movement 4/6/3

engine FusionXL 7tons
10dbl heatsinks
cockpit+gyro 6tons
11.5 tons armor standard
armor and allocation
H-9
CT-28/9
RT/LT-20/7
RA/LA-19
RL/LL-23
Weapons, ammo, and equipment
Hatchet-RA 5tons 5crits
ER PPC RT 7tons 3 crits
Medium Laser RT 1 ton 1crit
AMS-h 1.5 tons 1 crit
SRM4-ct 2 tons 1 crit
TSM- LT 6crits
Ammo(AMS) lt 1 ton 1crit
Ammo(SRM4) LT 1ton 1 crit
CASE LT .5 tons 1 crit
LBX-AC/10 LA 11tons 6 crits
Ammo(LBX)Cluster 1 ton 1crit
Ammo(LBX)Slug 1 ton 1 crit
Jumpjet LL 1 ton 1 crit
Jumpjet CT 1ton 1crit
Jumpjet RL 1 ton 1crit

both hands are usable.
Cost(is a bit steep) 13,622,511
Basic idea is supposed to be a jack of all trades. we all know the pitfalls of such a concept, but hey. I made one anyway :P ER PPC for long range. AC is for medium to short with follow up provided by the med laser and crit seeking SRMs. Dropped in one ton each of Cluster and slug rounds cause a pilot should have some options. and the Hatchet? because I can. not as fast or mobile as I would have liked, but anything faster is going to have less armor or weapons, or both.all in all, not too bad a mech. of course, I'm baised

Edited by Fang (07/10/08 04:23 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/11/08 02:51 AM

cost 807500 cbill

tech level L2 old school
chassis VTAL
tank weight 21
engine 70 fusion 3t
cruse speed 10
Flank speed 15
Lift/rotor/other 2.1t
control 1.05t
IS 2.1t

Armor 92 5.75t

Front 3/40
LT/RT 3/19
Back 3/12
rotor 3/2

Weapons/ammo
ER Large Laser 5
2 Heat sinks 2
OK, I cheated a little in the VA rules. So shoot me! I SHOOT BACK!!!!

This was a prototype from Assinine Industrys to replace the old Warrior VTAL. This design was shelfed when a lighter, faster, cheaper and better armed VTAL was built and tested by Assinine Industrys. Production of this craft is still going on but at a very slow rate. Assinine Industry's only reason that this design is in Production at all is that it uses the same 70 fusion power plant that the other VTAL requires.

This VTAL is best used at range. Where tanks or mechs cant reach it or at least its not as easy to be hit. Its meant more to harass the enemy than to out right destroy the enemy. Its highly suggested by Assinine Industrys that this craft be used in numbers.

Assinine Industrys is not interested is selling this design. But all interested party's can buy units of this craft from any Assinine Industrys authorised dealer.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/11/08 03:21 AM)
07/11/08 02:58 AM

??? Both hands are usable?

Since when did a mech have a hatchet and have a usable hand the side that it was mounted on?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/11/08 08:28 AM

It has to hand to hold the axe, I should have said. I know that szome designs have the axe instead of a hand, but this has an actual hand, like the Hatchetman.
Fang
07/11/08 08:31 AM

um...vtol is not hover, tacked, or wheeled.
Dester
07/11/08 10:54 AM

Your design while a respectable VTOL, does not meet the design criteria listed under rule 4. Please revise the submission to a Hover, Wheeled or Tracked vehicle or a battlemech.

Fang
Your submission looks good. Need at least 3 other submissions to hold the competiton by the end of july.
07/11/08 04:02 PM

Quote:

Your design while a respectable VTOL, does not meet the design criteria listed under rule 4. Please revise the submission to a Hover, Wheeled or Tracked vehicle or a battlemech.

Fang
Your submission looks good. Need at least 3 other submissions to hold the competiton by the end of july.

Oops!

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/11/08 04:36 PM

cost 1809000 CBills

tech level L2
chassis track
tank weight 50
engine 150 fusion 8.25t
cruse speed 3
Flank speed 5
Lift/rotor/other n/a
control 2.5t
IS 5t

Armor 128 8t

Front 5/40
LT/RT 5/15
Back 5/10
Turret 5/48

Weapons/ammo
Gauss rifle turret 15t
PPC turret 7t
GR ammo (16) Body 2t

This tracked tank was deigned by Assinine Industrys for the med tank weight class market. When the unit cost was found out the design was abandoned. Assinine Industrys is in the market of low cost tanks and VTALs that militia forces can afford. Only about a score of these tanks where built to test out the design.

If Assinine Industrys found a manufacture to build the 150 fusion power plant they might build more of these tanks. As of this date there are no takers to build the power plant. Assinine Industrys its self has no interest at this time in building a factory for the 150 Power plant. If a sizable interest in this tank was to come about Assinine Industrys might reconsider.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/12/08 12:50 PM)
Dester
07/11/08 06:41 PM

i ran the numbers and your tank as listed was 1 ton under weight and i think the problem is:
GR ammo (16) Body 1t
has ammo for 2 tons but listed as only 1, unless you correct me i will assume the extra ton goes to ammo giving the tank a full 3 tons (24 shots) of ammo.

Technical issues asside, this looks like a promising design. A gauss rifle is always to be respected on the battle field.

2 designs accepted, 2 of 4 to get the competition started, max 8.

Dester
Lafeel
07/11/08 07:14 PM

Mate, the Gauss Rifle is lvl 2 tech, not lvl 1.
Fang
07/11/08 09:46 PM

Lvl2 is allowed according to the competition rules. Just lvl2 tech as of around 3050 or so it looks like. if the Star LEague didn't have, then it should not be in this comp. Cept for the C3. Course, in a one on one, C3 is kinda wasted weight.

*edit* oops. I reread the criteria, and Guass are NOT on the menu. Sorry donkey dude. I tried to stick up for your vee man.

Edited by Fang (07/11/08 09:55 PM)
07/12/08 12:37 AM

16 shots for the GR is 2 tons. That was a typo.

If he does not want my design for his competition that his choice.

Its there if he wants to play with it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/12/08 12:42 AM

What do you people think of the name of my company?

I think it goes great with my name.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/12/08 01:19 AM

Quote:

i ran the numbers and your tank as listed was 1 ton under weight and i think the problem is:
GR ammo (16) Body 1t
has ammo for 2 tons but listed as only 1, unless you correct me i will assume the extra ton goes to ammo giving the tank a full 3 tons (24 shots) of ammo.

Technical issues asside, this looks like a promising design. A gauss rifle is always to be respected on the battle field.

2 designs accepted, 2 of 4 to get the competition started, max 8.

Dester

I came up with this design playing around with the Demolisher. I did not like the Demolisher's weight or limited weapon range. You could always destroy a Demolisher by just saying 10 hexes away. I was able to cut 30 tons off and increase its weapon range with the GR and PPC. I was trying to get even lower. But I could not with out cutting its weapons way down. If tanks could have double heat sinks I would have given this tank 2 PPCs cutting the weight down even more.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 05:58 AM

Quote:

Lvl2 is allowed according to the competition rules. Just lvl2 tech as of around 3050 or so it looks like. if the Star LEague didn't have, then it should not be in this comp. Cept for the C3. Course, in a one on one, C3 is kinda wasted weight.

*edit* oops. I reread the criteria, and Guass are NOT on the menu. Sorry donkey dude. I tried to stick up for your vee man.

True, but he listed the tank as level 1 tech, which with that gun it aint.
07/12/08 12:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True, but he listed the tank as level 1 tech, which with that gun it aint.

Your right I did. That was corrected. Thanks, it now says L2.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 01:02 PM

No problem. It is one mean tank.:)
07/12/08 01:15 PM

Ya but can it win ageist a 65 ton mech? Thats asking a lot from a 50 ton tank. Now if I was aloud to have the same CBill value aka 7.53 tanks to his one mech. I would not be worried at all. =b

Well... How am I to field a .53 of a tank? I guess I will be willing to round it down to 7 tanks. ^_^

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 01:33 PM

You never know, after all you might strike lucky and put a gauss slug through the cockpit canopy, and that's all it'd take.
07/12/08 01:44 PM

Well he could get a crew killed crit also. =(

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 02:13 PM

Well the big difference would be that you don't need to roll a crit, all you have to do is hit the right location, as the damage of the g.r. (15) exeeds the armor and internal structure possible for the head (9&3 respectively), meaning you'd blow his head off.

Edited by Lafeel (07/12/08 02:15 PM)
Fang
07/13/08 10:45 PM

personally, I would not want to go toe to toe with a guass toting anything. would need to try to close as soon as possible, alpha strike most of the way to get heat up and use TSM. CHOP CHOP! Ka-Pow! then my mech falls down with no head.
Dester
07/14/08 11:10 AM

Ok, sorry was gone all weekend, but yes the normal gauss rifle is permitted. Along with any other 'star leauge' tech that i forgot. Please ask if there are any questions. (fyi the heavy and light gauss rifles are NOT permitted)

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey The Gauss is allowed, but i ran into another problem when i was building this last night to use. The tank does not meet Rule 5.b requirements. >>Speed must be (60/tonnage) + 2 round up, at a minimum <<

(60/50) +2 = 3.2 rounded up is 4 ... needs a min cruising spead of 4.

Some suggestions would be to up the tonage to 60 and use the weight savings for armor / more weapons. Other option is to reduce the weapondry some. Sorry, I should have caught this earlier.

Dester
Fang
07/15/08 12:41 PM

Heh, if there are no more entries, do I win by default?
07/16/08 12:52 AM

There is no 5b 5 says "All pilot/ crews will be assigned a generic vet pilot (3 gunnery, 4 piloting)"

I think you meant 6b.

Rules what rules? The rules I go by is if I win I live to beat you up again tomorrow. If I do not win I am not around to cry about it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 01:04 AM

OK up it to 60 tons change the Power Plant to 180 add 6 tons armor and you figure out the cost of the tank. I could have had another .25 tons of armor but noooooo cant have that. =b

Front 5/70
LT/RT 5/28
Back 5/18
Turret 5/80

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 01:08 AM

Quote:

Heh, if there are no more entries, do I win by default?

Round 1 head shot with Gauss rifle. I WIN!!!

Next bout

Round 1 head shot with gauss rifle. I WIN AGAIN!!!

Next bout

Round 1 head shot with gauss rifle. I WIN AGAIN!!!

OK, this is boring. Time to play with the Xbox =D

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 41246

Contact Admins Sarna.net