ghost A1 & B1

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/26/08 11:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I think light mechs are mostly pointless. But I made these to give my company a scouting lance. If you removed the L3 Max Tech rule targeting computers the cost would drop quite a bit.

CBills 7,393,410

Type: Ghost A1
Technology base: Inner Sphere L3
Configuration: Bipedal
Tonnage: 35 tons

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure Endo Steel 1.75
Engine 315 XL 10.75
Walking mp 9
Running mp 14
Jumping mp 0
Heat Sinks 10(2) 0
Gyro XL 2
Cockpit 3
Armor 119 7.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 11 17
Center Torso (rear) 5
R/L Torso 8 12
R/L Torso (rear) 4
R/L Arm 6 12
R/L Leg 8 16

Weapons and ammo Location Critical Tonnage
ER large Laser RT 2 5
2 Med Laser RT 2 2
4 Med Lasers LT 4 4
LR Targeting - - -

CBills 7,371,585

Type: Ghost B1
Technology base: Inner Sphere L3
Configuration: Bipedal
Tonnage: 35 tons

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure Endo Steel 1.75
Engine 280 XL 8
Walking mp 8
Running mp 12
Jumping mp 8
Heat Sinks 10(2) 0
Gyro XL 2
Cockpit small 2
Armor 116 7.25

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 11 16
Center Torso (rear) 5
R/L Torso 8 12
R/L Torso (rear) 4
R/L Arm 6 11
R/L Leg 8 16

Weapons and ammo Location Critical Tonnage
ER large Laser RT 2 5
2 Med Laser RT 2 2
3 Med Lasers LT 3 3
veritable Targeting H 1 .5
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:13 PM

To anyone who thinks that light mech's are useless, I'd just like to point out what happened to the Barber's Marauder 2's..

But that aside, this mech looks like one mean foe to face, even if you downgraded it to lvl2.
07/26/08 11:17 PM

??? Barber's Marauder 2's. I dont know of that mech.

The only Marauder 2's that I know of are 75 ton mechs... I think. The only BT book thats in my semi is battletech compendium.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:21 PM

It was a mercenary force, comprising 30 odd Marauder2's (the Marauder's 100 ton bigger brother), and 16 Marauders. Basically the Falcons out maneuvered, and annhialated them, during the incursion in '64, largely through very effective use of light mechs.
07/26/08 11:32 PM

Most light mechs don't have any real hitting power. Just SRMs or med lasers for the most part. The heavier lights might pack a large laser or PPC. Nothing that would really hurt a 100 toner. How did they defeat 100 ton mechs with light mechs?

The reason I like light vehicles is not that there better than light mechs but there a hell lot cheaper to replace. I don't like heavy vehicles at all. Heavy and assault mechs are far better.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:42 PM

Which is why light mechs never operate alone. I know the mechwarrior games are a terrible example, but I managed to kill a Dire Wolf while piloting a Dasher in 2 once. How? I kept moving, and using the terrain against him, and only taking shots at his ass.
Dester
07/28/08 12:20 PM

Light mechs are far from useless espeically in level 1 tech.

That aside your mechs are solid designs but edge alot closer to a med mech. Thats why the expence seriously skyrocketed on you.

I am biased against the IS large laser (in all its forms) so take it with a grain of salt, but i would drop it and some med lasers for an ER PPC or to upgrade the med lasers to pulse lasers. Couple SRM/ Streak-SRMs wouldn't be bad either especially against vehicles.

Just my thoughts and personal preferances, solid design over all.

Dester
07/28/08 02:06 PM

I dont like SRM in any form. To much weight for to little damage. A SRM 6 costs 8 tons for 8 points of damage. A SRM 2 costs 3 tons for 2 points of damage. A Med Laser is 4 tons for 5 points of damage. Also a laser can be fired forever, no ammo.

In this design the heat that a ER PPC is not an issue. But I still don't mush care for them. I like slandered PPCs over ER PPCs. Also if I made it into a ER PPC I would lose two of the med lasers. The med lasers are the mechs real punch. the ER Large Laser is just to give the mech a weapon that can hit farther away.

The reason that the mechs are 35 tons is that I REALLY hate light mechs. I would rather lose cheap vehicles than expensive mechs. A 35 ton mech is the heaviest that you can go and still qualify as a light mech. To much weight is wasted on other things than weapons and armor. Thats why I like heavy and assault mechs. More of the percentage of the mechs weight goes to the weapons and armor.

My pilots of the mechs are under strict orders not to engage enemy units. There only to search for the enemy not to engage them. If attacked there to disengage and run. There only to fight if cornered and then just to open up an escape route. The only exemption is if there with a more powerful lance and then there to use hit and run tactics.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/28/08 02:09 PM

Mate, I think your problem is, no offense, that your light mech's are too expensive. 7,4 million c bills is a heavy price to pay for such a design, and you can still get quite a capable mech for a more limited budget.
07/28/08 02:39 PM

I know that I could get a L1 assault mech for 7.4M

The only real way to cut down on the cost is to remove the XL engine. And I like the speed that the XLs give.

I would have to drop the speeds to 7/10 and 6/9/6 and drop some weapons.

The limiting budget is where the vehicles come in to play.

If you think my light mechs are expensive you will be shocked what my assault mechs cost.
My 95 ton Law mech costs 27,376,570 cbills

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/28/08 02:45 PM

There really isn't that much difference between 7/10 and 6/9, if you ask me. Plus if you would use a standard engine, or one of the newer light engines, you would seriosly reduce the price tag, as well as improve the durability of the design, by reducing, or eliminating, the side torso engine criticals.
07/28/08 02:52 PM

the mechs as they stand now are 9/14 and 8/12/8 that would be dropped to 7/11 and 6/9/6.

Sorry the 7/10 was a typo.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/28/08 02:55 PM

Still might be a worthwhile exchange. After all you can't really protect a extra light engine properly on a light mech, and all it'd take is one heavy shot to a side torso, or just a ammo explosion, and then you'd have nothing more than scrap.
07/28/08 03:12 PM

Thats why its not to engage enemies or its just to do hit and run attacks

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/28/08 03:15 PM

Even so you could still be in trouble if you ran into something that was either fast enough, or packing a big enough a gun, all it'd take is one good shot with a clan er ppc, or a gauss rifle, and then you are in trouble.
Dester
07/28/08 06:40 PM

Your calculations for SRMs are slightly off... but to each is their own.

If your pilots have strict orders to not engage the enemy, why be conserned about losing weapons for other stuff.. espeically begals probes and ECMs?

In the current campain I am playing in (level 1 tech) the spider in my unit has the highest kill count out of all the mechs that include a warhammer, thunderbolt, wolfhound and stinger besides.

In the last 3 battles it has destroyed:
Wolverine, Griffin, locust, Crusader and Crippled an archer. (btw all of our units pilots are regular 4 gunnery, 5 piloting)

Its all about how you use the light mechs. They were ment to be skirmishers and scouts, you don't run a light lance up and try and go toe to toe with a heavy lance. Back shots and skirmishing are their forte`. This includes screening your heavier units from enemy light units trying to get into your rear.

XL engines have their uses, but mostly for lighter mechs I find them distastefull for the added exspenice and vulurability. Your mechs from a min/max perspective are good solid designs, but few would willingly buy them to add to their armies or pay to keep slaping in new XL engines when they get slagged from losing a side torso.

To sum up... outside campain for one offs, good design, for campains... marginally effective design.

Dester
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9374

Contact Admins Sarna.net