Front 3/40
LT/RT 3/16
Back 3/8
Turret N/A

Weapons/ammo
PPC Front 7

variant
Large Pulse Laser front 7

This is a vehicle design that Assinine Industrys has come up with for fast attack missions. The vehicle is not in production yet. Assinine Industrys wants to see if there is any interest in the design before a manufacturing plant is built to manufacture the 80 rated fusion engine. The large pulse laser variant will not be offered from Assinine Industrys. Assinine Industrys does not have the manufacturing ability to build such an advanced weapon. The vehicle is able to have the large pulse laser installed as a retrofit.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
07/28/08 12:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Isn't there a stipulation that that the engine must weight at a minimum 30% of a hovercrafts weight?

That aside, mounting a single large, long range weapon w/ out a turret negates the hovercraft chassis major advantage, speed.

Food for thought.
Dester
Lafeel
07/28/08 12:30 PM

The Saladin and Savannah Master designs would argue otherwise, as neither of them have a turret.

As for the infamous 30% rule, I'm going to have to admit I'm not entirely sure if it exists any more, nor entirely sure where to find it in the tech manual.
Dester
07/28/08 12:40 PM

30% rule
Battletech compendium, in the lift equipment table section.

Lets be honest, the savana master just flat out didn't have room for a turret But in both cases, they both have short range weapondry to let them dart in, blast away and then dart back out.

Dester
Lafeel
07/28/08 12:45 PM

Indeed. Which could be used to make a case for you being able to skip the turret if your vehicle is fast enough (and this vehicle is faster than the Saladin)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/28/08 02:27 PM

The rule is 20%. *At least in my copy* I use ICE engine weights for that rule. If a Fusion or XL fusion engine is used I don't demand a bigger engine to be required just to satisfy the rule. A 80 rated ICE engine is 5 tons so a 80 rated engine no mater what kind works in a 25 ton or less hover craft.

As for the turret. VTALs and hover craft are the best vehicles that can go with out a turret. There fast enough to bring the weapon to bare.

Whats wrong with darting in and out with a weapon that has even more range? There is even less of a chance that you will be hit by return fire.

My 15 ton hover infantry carrier carries 3 med lasers.
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/151235/an/0/page/0#151235
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
07/29/08 06:45 PM

Your correct, its 20%, but its a minium weight that the engine must weigh, period. So your design is illegal with a 3.75 engine. It must allocate 4.2 tons at a miniumum. Doesn't matter if its ICE or fusion. And before you ask, this is consistant with the old books and new books with better clarification in the new books to be a mimimum weight... period.
07/30/08 10:21 AM

That rule that you have to have a more powerful engine just because you are using a fusion engine make no sense at all. In this case why is a 80 ICE engine fine but a 80 fusion engine to weak to lift that same exact hovercraft? I know, thats logic, and in BT there is no room for logic. If logic was brought into the game the first thing to go are the battle mechs them self's.

Well since I will only be playing with friends aka no tournaments. That is when I cane get out of this %&^% truck and live in my house again. I can play with what ever house rules that me and the other people agree to. Which one of them will be hover craft engines min weights will be decided by what the weight of a ICE engine is. I find it funny that VTALs have no min engine requirements and hover craft do. Unless someone nosiest that also and changed it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/30/08 01:28 PM

I have a sneaky suspicion that it may have something to do with those two words that a lot of people (present company not included, I hope) loathe to hear, namely "game balance".

Mind you I am not sure if that rule exists any more, mostly because the jes-1 violates it. A 50 ton hovertank with a 15 rated engine sure does not sound like 20% to me..

edit: No, apparently it doesn't. As it says the engine weighs 10 tons..That 15 bit must be a typo then..(would a 15 rated engine even work on a 50 ton hovertank?)

Edited by Lafeel (07/30/08 01:31 PM)
Dester
07/30/08 03:03 PM

It states specificly in the rules that if the weight for your engine is not 20% you must either accept that it weights 20% of the total hovercraft weight or increase the speed to make the engine weight a legal limit. This is not a new rule or an old rule that went away, this has always been and i believe always will be for hovercraft.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the "game balance" issues for the rule Lafeel. Personally Hovercraft and VTOLs have other issues, namely the break points in "lift factors" that forces a 20 ton vehicle to have a higher engine rating then a 21 ton vehicle of the same speed. My personal opinion is that they should have made lift factors a formula instead of a strait range based on tonage.

Donkey, most of your designs have a very munchkin factor to them... so if bending rules to your favor makes you happy, do what you will. Just know that your designs and back stories for them will be mostly dismissed and ignored in the BT comunity. If that doesn't bother you, by all means keep doing what you want. If you want to be taken a little more seriously here and any other board you visit, you might want to cut down on the munch factor. This is in no way a flame or insult, just some friendly advice.

Dester
07/31/08 12:15 AM

If what your saying of "munchkin factor" is caring about people that are so anal about printed rules and not just having fun with a game. I guess I am being a munchkin. But since I really don't know what exactly you mean by "munchkin factor" I cant really be sure that that answer is right.

I do like a rule that the makers of Dungeons and Dragons put out. "If a rule or set of rules create a problem in your enjoying playing the game feel free to change it or out right ignore it."

As for the world that I have created in my posts. I could not care less if any one cared about it in the least. I am just having fun writing it. I might write a short story based on what I have gone with so far. But don't worry. I have no intention of ever posting it here or even giving a link of where it might be posted. None of you will ever be bothered with knowing of its existence if it is ever written in the first place.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/31/08 12:57 AM

That's all well and good when you are among friends, but when you are posting stuff with people that follow said rules, you should really have expected this sort of reaction. Or indeed a stronger one for that matter, because as reactions go, this one has, so far, been relatively weak. (some people do not take to people changing fundamental rules of the game well)

edit: also what you, conveniently, forgot to mention is that the dungeon master has the final say in such a matter, not the player, as it is he who ultimately sets the rules, and there is no real equalient of such a position in this game.

Edited by Lafeel (07/31/08 01:01 AM)
07/31/08 01:35 PM

Quote:

edit: also what you, conveniently, forgot to mention is that the dungeon master has the final say in such a matter, not the player, as it is he who ultimately sets the rules, and there is no real equalient of such a position in this game.

??? Huh?... Most of the times that I have played BT there was a Game Master running the game. I would love to know how you run a RPG with out a GM.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/31/08 01:40 PM

That's just it. Battletech isn't a rpg, it's a table top wargame, like say Warhammer, or Flames of War.

Quite a big difference there.
07/31/08 03:25 PM

Battletech is also a RPG and thats how I am used to playing it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/31/08 05:37 PM

And are you, pray tell, a player or a GM?
07/31/08 05:47 PM

Before I became a OTR trucker I was both. Now I can't do anything other than post here some of the designs that I had came up with over the years.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/31/08 10:53 PM

Battletech is not an RPG. Mechwarrior is an RPG. Both are two different facets of the same game universe. One can play Battletech without a GM. just grab some minis (or cardboard cutouts, like I learned to play with back in the day), mapsheets, die, and friends and you can have a game of Battletech. Campaigns and such tend to lean more towards Mechwarrior, and thus the need for a GM, although not always.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....

Edited by Fang (07/31/08 10:53 PM)
08/01/08 10:01 AM

Thank you for splitting hairs for me. Now I have to worry about my hair having split ends. LOL

I was using Battletech as a generic name. I should have been more specific using Mechwarrior.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
08/01/08 04:09 PM

The fact remains that people on the board here don't use your "house rules" and makes your design illegal and as such limits its value to the board comunity as a whole.

There are lots of things that I don't like with the game and when I play table top, we use some house rules for such situations and that is perfectly fine if you do the same with construction rules AT HOME. When you come to the board you need to adhear to published rules or at the very least put up a cavate that you used a house rule when designing your unit.

Dester
08/01/08 10:02 PM

Do you mean that someone might care about my vehicle designs? I never expected anyone to even think of using them let alone really using them in a game.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
08/01/08 10:06 PM

One would think that is a large part of posting them at all, that and having them criticised by others (hopefully helpfully)
08/01/08 10:26 PM

Battletech is a game about battlemechs. Most players never use vehicles in there games. So posting them is for the most part a waist of time. But as a OTR trucker. I have lots of time to do just that. You have no idea how boring being a OTR trucker is.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
08/01/08 10:39 PM

Since I have no idea what a OTR trucker is (apart from it probably involving some driving :P ) I really can not comment on that.

As for vehicles, I actually disagree. Vehicles have their uses, even in this game, it just is easier not to use them, for some people at least.
08/01/08 10:45 PM

Over The Road aka long haul driving

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
08/01/08 11:07 PM

Should try your hand at writing fluff (background) for your designs, then. That should be a better use of your time than just thinking up random ones. Plus, good fluff is what makes the difference between a good design and just "bleh, another with this this and that"
08/01/08 11:18 PM

I did people complained of it more than the vehicle or mech that i was posting. So I cut the fluff.

And the vehicles that I have posted I made up a lot of years ago. There not new designs to me. I have a folder full of vehicle and mech designs. Well a lot more vehicles than mechs. So far the only new design was the Sniper mech.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
11/20/08 09:40 PM

This rule you refer too is it new to the latest edition of BTech?

Cause it's not in the BMRR.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
11/20/08 11:12 PM

Quote:

Battletech is a game about battlemechs. Most players never use vehicles in there games.

Vehicles seem fairly popular, actually, especially for anyone who plays a campaign. Have you run a poll on one of the high traffic BT forums to see what percentage of players use vehicles or are you just going by your personal experience?

I mean, going by personal experience, I used them in about 2 out of 3 pick-up games where your units were chosen by tonnage. My group always made them easy to use, typically allowing you to get 2 tons of vehicles per base ton allowed in the game.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/21/08 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Battletech is a game about battlemechs. Most players never use vehicles in there games.

Vehicles seem fairly popular, actually, especially for anyone who plays a campaign. Have you run a poll on one of the high traffic BT forums to see what percentage of players use vehicles or are you just going by your personal experience?

I mean, going by personal experience, I used them in about 2 out of 3 pick-up games where your units were chosen by tonnage. My group always made them easy to use, typically allowing you to get 2 tons of vehicles per base ton allowed in the game.

But Cray you are forgetting that BT has one flaw...the more you have on the table to play with, the longer the game takes. Add to that players who have been around and know the game well enough, ends up with a very long and drawn out game as each side, plots and counter-plots their moves and goes for maximum fire points while keeping the return favor as low as possible.

Glad you have the time to play 2 to 3 BT games in a month or every couple of months and have the time to allow for extra units on the field...a lot of us don't.

I like vehicles, they should be king with the mechs being the rare ultra machines that turn the fighting or something like that...but as things are, for most vehicles are not worth worrying about.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 30722

Contact Admins Sarna.net