Design Competition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Dester
07/30/08 05:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Very much so. While munchkin designs are marginally ok to use in a no holds bars free for all, they are just so not in the spirit of the game otherwise. And again... as everything munchkin based is gimicy and lopsided, there is always a counter for it. History has proven this time and time again with solid no frills designs to weapon technology dating back to the dawn of civilization.

Dester
Lafeel
07/30/08 05:21 PM

Yup, as Lenin (or was it Stalin) said "quantity has a quality all of it's own"..Or as I paraphrased them "anything counts in large enough numbers"

edit: case in point: I'd take equalient tonnage in Savannah master light hover tanks (or, horror, equalient cost on c-bills of them) against any mech yet made, there's no way you can kill all of them before I kill you.

Edited by Lafeel (07/30/08 09:27 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/31/08 12:28 AM

Quote:

And that donkey... is the definition of a munchkin....

Now you have totally lost me on what you call a "munchkin". What does outfitting a omnimech have to do with this munchkin thing that you keep using?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
08/01/08 04:11 PM

Donky:
use the following link for the rollplaying definision of munchkin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(role-playing_games)

Submition times are now close and i'll get to work running the battles and posting the data.

Dester
Lafeel
08/01/08 04:23 PM

Good luck, mate. If you have any questions about my design, or how to use it, toss me a pm. I'm more than willing to answer any that might arise.:)
Fang
08/01/08 04:50 PM

I wonder how many munchkin players clicked that link, read the wiki, and thought "Gee, glad that isn't me"
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Lafeel
08/01/08 05:01 PM

Wouldn't be surprised that a couple did..*did click it, to check it's accuracy*

I've had my run ins with them during my rp years..Could really hurt your enjoyement of the evening, sometimes.
Fang
08/01/08 09:48 PM

Wonder if I should have entered my Mjollnir assault mech in this competition?
08/01/08 10:21 PM

Quote:

Donky:
use the following link for the rollplaying definision of munchkin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(role-playing_games)

Submition times are now close and i'll get to work running the battles and posting the data.

Dester

I can see how you would see that in my posts. I do like raw power. I normally play warrior type of characters. But it can easily interfere with enjoying playing any game when done to eases.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
08/06/08 10:55 AM

Got busy over the weekend and the last few days so i only have 2 of the battles completed so far (out of ten total). so might be another week or two before i get the results done.

Dester
Prince_of_Darkness
08/08/08 01:28 AM

I guess this means I cannot join, then?
Fang
08/08/08 11:19 AM

Sadly, the cut off was end of July. But it looks like the design competition thing is coming back around here on Sarna, so stick around. Another will most likely come along soon.
Fang
08/14/08 02:56 PM

*bump* how is this going so far? any news as of yet?
Dester
08/14/08 05:46 PM

So far i have 4 of the battles done (all of one design).
I won't release any results other then to say they are progressing slower then i would have liked but i have become pretty busy this month so i wish to applogize for the delay.

I want to release all the results at once so there arn't any forgone conclusions.

Dester
Fang
09/05/08 10:38 AM

*bump* just checking on the status is all. progressing well, I hope.
Dester
09/05/08 01:16 PM

2 battles left... i hope to get it finished this weekend, but no promises
Fang
09/14/08 10:40 PM

*bump*
Dester
09/23/08 11:17 PM

Owner - mech name - price tag - modifier from average - number of wins - total points scored.
Donkey un-named 10,376,000 92.38496145 0.5 46.19248072
Lafeel Ishida 13,983,790 68.54982519 1.5 102.8247378
ZyKhan Zyko 5,668,160 169.1177313 2 338.2354627
Fang Carbine 13,595,368 70.50830548 3 211.5249164
Kitk Flash-n-the-pan 4,306,000 222.6164329 3 667.8492987

The story of the little mech that could... Congrats to Kitk and his Flash-in-the-pan for winning by points and tieing for the best record.

Donkey's un-named vs Ishida
An interesting fight. Solo and using the terrain to his best advanatage the un-named mech managed to keep the Ishida out of his back. While the Ishida's speed was good enough

to flush the Un-named from his hillside forest, it wasn't good enough to keep in his back with woods and the lake in the middle to keep his back just out of reach. Jump jets

would have been invaluable to the Ishida.

The fight took about 12 rounds. Before the Ishida suffered massive damage and was eleminated. The un-named pilot didn't get to see his vicotry as he was busy blacking out from a

hit to the gauss riffle coupled with an early group of missles to the head. This all wouldn't have been so bad if the Un-named had more back armor as he fell square on his

surviving left torso and caused the other Gauss rifle to explode. This resulted in the 5th and 6th head hits causing the pilot to die and offically defeating the mech. (missle

hit, GR, fall, GR = dead)

This fight ends in a draw and each mech will get 1/2 normal their normal vicotry points.

*notes* Lots of armor to chew thru on the 100 ton unnamed mech and with enough ammo to basicly just blast away, the GRs did some telling damage. Great support mech in the

Devistator config (really close clone actually). Luck was also with the un-named as it won the the init all but 4 rounds and for the first 5 strait.

Donkey's un-named vs Zyko:
A brutal fight but the heavier armor of the un-named allowed it to weather the storm of the zyko. The LB-10X AC got a few chances at CT crits but couldn't capitalize on them.

The brutal short range also hurt the un-named mechs weapons but just enough got thru to eventually wear down and destroy the Zyko.

The un-named wins a victory.

*notes*
lots of bad luck on the zyko's side as it took alot of damage early to both side torsos as it closed. Like the Ishida before it, lack of Jumpjets really hurt this design on for

head on competition.

Donkey's un-named vs Carbine:
Short and brutal fight. The Carbine's armor was just barly thick enough for the run into close range but once there it was easy to keep behind the un-named and back shot it to

death. FYI the Carbine survived a PPC shot to the head in the first round to claim the victory.

Carbine wins.

Donkey's un-named vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Though damaged on the run in, The Flash-in-the-Pan was able to get in behind the un-named and rip it apart. Both gauss rifles were hit and exploded and the pilot took a head

hit when he fell down due to gyro damage.

Flash-in-the-Pan scores the vicotry.

Ishida vs Zyko:
The Ishida tried to keep its distance but the Zyko was able to finally corner and kill the zyko. An early thru CT crit robed the Zyko of its Large laser, but it was still able

to close and grind down the Ishida which finally fell due to a loss of a side torso and its XL engine.

Zyko wins.

*note* late in the battle it looked like the Ishida might rob the Zyko of its victory with a PPC to the head, but couldn't come up with a crit to kill the mech.

Ishida vs Carbine:
While it took a few rounds for the Carbine to corner the ishida, once he did that all she wrote. 2nd round of hatchet took the head clean off.

Ishida Vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Jumpjets allowed the Flash to corner the Ishida and hampered with heat due to the infernos it finally sucomed to the damage when it lost a side torso along with its XL engine.

Zyko vs Carbine:
While the Carbine took some damage, the Zyko just got murdered. Both mechs closed and the Carbine used its jumpjects to jump behinde the Zyko when it finally won inititive and

that was all she wrote.

Zyko vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
This battle was a lot of cat and mouse as the Zyko tried to keep the Flash-in-the-Pan out of its back and was finally rewarded when it rushed in with a point blank shot

followed by a kick that severed the right leg. A few rounds later the zyko won. As a side note, with 2 LB 10-X AC's in play I expected more then 1 head it out of the pelets, but it seamed my dice wanted an even

fight.

Carbine vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Long fight with both mechs jumping around the middle lake with the flash in the pan finally claiming victory. The Fight was favoring the heavier carbine untill it ran out of

ammo for its AMS and the inferno rounds finally started landing and limited the carbine's PPC usage. Both mechs were very damage and both pilots had been pumeled with LBX

pellets, but the XL engine in the Carbine finally let it down with the loss of its left torso after 2 empty ammo bins had been hit, AMS and top LBX bins.
Lafeel
09/24/08 12:45 PM

I knew that the lack of jump jets was going to hurt in the long run, but you can only squeeze so much into a design when you are trying to squeeze a C3 master into a fast medium mech.

Did about as well as expected actually, and I particularly love how the first fight ended.:D
KitK
09/24/08 02:03 PM

Thanks for running this competition, Dester. It takes a lot of time, commitment, and effort. The cost factoring method was very interesting.

I gambled a slower,cheaper engine would give enough firepower to stand against larger mechs. Not only did the gamble pay off but the F-i-t-P actually beat some big opponents. I would have never bet real money on the F-i-t-P against the Carbine or Un-named. I am quite pleased and impressed with the little mech. It has earned a less derogatory name, which it will need to be in an Avalon Productions movie: The FPN-IF1 Flashpoint.

Out of curiosity, how big of a factor was the inferno in slowing down the other mechs or from ammo explosion or fires? did the CASE ever save the mech? and, I appears you used LBX shot instead of slug, any guess how slug might have affected the outcomes?

KitK
Fang
09/24/08 05:32 PM

3 wins against four different opponents is nothing to feel bad about. I just wish I had been able to construct the Carbine with out the use of an XL. That Flashpoint/Flash-in-the-Pan is one bad little mech. I think I need to write some fluff for the Carbine and add it to Ground Zero Salvage and Technolgy's armory. The assault in the mix proves an old adage. Bigger is not always better.
Dester
09/26/08 11:46 AM

From my persepctive... one on one battles jumpjets rule the day, they really do.

Kitk
In about 1/2 the fights the infernos really helped out, the others not so much... it really depended on what the other mechs were packing for weapons/ heat efficancy. No mech shut down or had ammo go up because of heat, but then i was playing most mechs rather conservative.

All of the designs seamed solid though I felt that the Ishida was seriously under gunned and didn't utilize the one advantage of a big engine by not maxing out the internal double heatsinks.

Donkey's big assult mech just need smore armor on the back, and the duel gauss rifle config is prone to explosions and rendering the pilot unconsious or dead. in every battle except the one it won, the pilot had at least 2 head hits by the end of the encounter.

The carbine was just brutle in close range, but i really found myself wanting that 4th jumpjet time and time again, especially in the last battle with the Flash mech as it was not only to keep jumping just out of range of the hatchet, but also to angle itsself into favorable fireing positions.

The Zyto was just a good solid no frills design that was a good average mech, no complaints, but nothing really stood out.

About the only thing i would have recomended on the flash is up the SRM-2 to a Streak SRM-2. More heat efficent and less ammo consumption when it hits with both for 6 rounds as aposed to usually 1 for 3 rounds of heat.

Thanks again to all that participated.
Lafeel
09/26/08 10:23 PM

It was a pleasure.:) Would love to repeat it, or maybe even try my hand at doing a one myself.
09/28/08 06:06 PM

If I won 1 battle (Zyko) and tied another (Ishida) why does it show that I won only .5?

With some one defending my back I could do better. But with one on one you can only do so much. I agree its a great support mech. I just thought it would have done better. To bad I never got a head hit with a GR. Oh well, that's luck and you should never rely on luck.

Speed is a great advantage in any battle. But at the high cost of the XL I stayed with the slandered engine.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
09/29/08 03:48 PM

yep, your right donkey, have the win/loss backwords for your mech and the Lafees, sorry about that.
you had a 1.5 and his had a .5 victories

Sorry about that, but it still doesn't change the winner
Fang
09/30/08 02:37 AM

The only thing I could come up with at this time is to change the SRM4 to a STREAK2 with infernos maybe, and drop the CASE. That would get you the fourth jumpjet. WHile the STREAK infernos or no would be ok, not sure how I feel about losing the CASE. Sure, if there is an ammo hit, the engine is gone anyway, but at least your pilot survives. Well, just one thought on how to get the maximum movement out of the ole Carbine.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 40747

Contact Admins Sarna.net