The Rabid Fox Project

Pages: 1
KitK
09/28/08 12:30 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Rabid Fox Project.

Well, what I am after with this goes in two directions, one is level 3 reconnaissance and the other is level 1 retro engineering. I think I will start with an abbreviated project background and focus on the retro engineering variant for feedback. Then maybe come back and branch into recon later.

The Rabid Fox is transforming into a CMCDesigns signature ‘Mech. It began as a Level 3 omnimech aimed at high speed, maneuverability, and stealth for the purpose of conducting covert operations. It is packed with high-tech level 3 equipment. One lance costs just about as much as a company of Atlases.

Unfortunately, for my purposes, the Rabid Fox omnimech was not much more than a fluff/concept ‘Mech, so I downgraded it to level 2. It retained its speed and maneuverability and has high end weapon systems, but I dropped attempts at stealth. The result is a skirmisher/recon ‘Mech. Stats summary: 6(12)/9/6, armor 99% of max, 12 tons of weapons (ER Large, 3 ER Medium, Streak SRM 4), XL engine, Endosteel, double heat sinks, Equipment: jump jets, targeting computer, C3 slave, MASC, BV=1501

I had been avoiding downgrading all the way to level 1 because the Rabid Fox had been a high-tech ‘Mech from its inception. And, I didn't feel level 1 was high-tech enough for a Rabid Fox. But, I finally succumbed, partly for the challenge and partly to have my own design instead of a modified cannon mech. So I ended up with 2 models. The first sacrificed speed for armor and to keep its weapons. I like its strength but hate the speed. So I finally buckled, dropped the SRM and half the armor to get my speed back. I like this ‘Mech too, even if it is shorter on armor than anything I have ever built before.

So with out further ado I will post in the stats. Let me know if you like the R.F. And also, like it or not, which one would you prefer if you had to choose a model to stick a few lances.
Code:

275 Rabid Fox – retro variant A

Chassis: CMCStandard Medium
Power Plant: Core Tek 275
Cruising Speed: 53.75
Maximum Speed: 86
Jump Jets: Leviathan Lifters
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Durallex Medium
Armament:
1 Magna Mk III Large Laser
3 Magna Mk II Medium Lasers
1 Holly SRM 6
Manufacturer: CMCDesigns
Primary Factory: Dieron
Communications System: Sony MSF-21
Targeting and Tracking System: Winston Sidewinder

275 Rabid Fox – retro variant A

Weight 55 tons
Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 1
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 5.5
Engine: 275 15.5
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 12 2
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 184 11.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 26
Center Torso(rear) 9
R/L Torso 13 17
R/L Torso(rear) 9
R/L Arm 9 18
R/L Leg 13 26

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Large Laser LA 2 5
SRM 6 LT 2 3
SRM 6 Ammo LT 1 1
Jump Jet LT 2 0.5
Jump Jet RT 2 0.5
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Jump Jet CT 1 0.5

BV: 1095
Cost in C-bills: 4,936,956

Code:

275 Rabid Fox-B

Weight 55 tons
Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 1
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 5.5
Engine: 330 24.5
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 6
Heat Sinks: 10 0
Gyro: 4
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 112 7

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 16
Center Torso(rear) 5
R/L Torso 13 12
R/L Torso(rear) 5
R/L Arm 9 12
R/L Leg 13 12

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Large Laser LA 2 5
Jump Jet LT 2 0.5
Jump Jet RT 2 0.5
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Jump Jet CT 2 0.5

BV: 888
Cost in C-bills: 5,660,290

Dester
09/29/08 04:24 PM

To heavy for a recon mech... period.
your variant A = a modified wolverine WVR-6M Wolverine.
I also ran the numbers 3 times and came up with it being 1 ton under weight.
decent med mech, but to slow to be a "recon" mech.

Variant B:
an engine in excess of 300 doesn't belong on a mech lighter then 65 tons in level 1 tech... ever. (see cicada and scorpion as examples.)
This variant is vastly out engined and can barly keep up with a wasp/ stinger/ phoeix hawk.
Speaking of a phoenix hawk this variant is VERY close to the primary configuration with less armor and less actual tonage for weapons and the same heat sinks.

In both cases they are ill suited to be upgraded to a recon mech. Not unless they are to be the recon units for a heavy/ assult unit.

Problem with trying to stay away from cannon mechs in the "recon" world is pretty much every tonage/ speed combo has been done... And depending on that speed/ weight ratio it leaves you kinda pigeion holed into the same basic weapons combo. med lasers with a small small missle rack either LRM or SRM.

So you might want to look at starting with a recon mech and "upgrading" it into something with more recon capabilites while giving it some teeth.

For me personally the Oscout just scream potential to me... going from 1 med laser and nothing special but speed to say
35 tons
endo-steel 1.75
XL engine 8
Gyro 3
Cockpit 3
armor 7
heatsinks(double) 10[20] 0
Tag 1
ECM 1.5
Begal 1.5
jumpjets 4
med laser x 4 4

nothing like a mech that can move 8/12/8 with 4 heat sinks and the ability to use them all day long while jumping. and guarded electronicly. Oh did i mention its ability to drop 20 point homing Arrow IV missles on you too... fro the rear arc?

hope this helps
Dester
KitK
10/08/08 04:09 PM

Thanks for tearin' it apart. It clearly needed it. I haven't had time to respond properly, and even now I have some more data to collect for this, but it will have to wait.

I don't come up 1 ton light. If you just added up the stats above, 2 sets of jumpjets give the weight per jet, not total. That would get the 1 ton.

In terms of recon, there is the Charger anomaly too. I was thinking more in terms of long-term, long-range covert missions and recon. Not just spotting mechs for lance or company.

I hadn't checked base mech variants very close and was very disappointed that version A is the same as a Wolverine remodel. But it was good to find out.

I knew that the engine was abnormal in this weight. We'll call that flavor. But, that a Phoenix Hawk will preform as well or better at a cheaper price really shows the weakness of pushing a mech this big so fast without getting the advantage of more armor or guns.

Anyway, I am still chewing on this to see if I can come up with something.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5617

Contact Admins Sarna.net