Anti-mech infantry......umm..questions.

Pages: 1
GrantPrien
10/08/08 07:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay. I have a question for y'all (I know I know I only show up if I have a question...sorry ).

I was recently playing myself a battletech game on the Megamek platform.

First: I play myself a fair bit, and as long as you are not partial to a particular side to win, you can do pretty decently. Sorta sucks, but I don't have the time to MP with others so ..

Okay, the question.

In a sortof lazy type of day I decided to try a few units I normally never touch.

On one side I chose a few jump-capable anti-mech infantry, a few of the ultra-light hovercraft, and a few VTOL's.

On the other, a pair of Gnome Battlearmor (Units. 1 unit has 5 gnomes in it). and a Cougar.

Now Megamek supposedly adheres to battletech rules, well I have a question.

At one point the pair of hovercraft and two pairs of jump-capable infantry converged on the cougar. I (Playing as the cougar) figured that the hovercraft were the most prompting threat, so I engaged it.

The two jump infantries made leg attacks(And succeeded), and destroyed all 3 leg actuaters of the Cougar, basically disabling it....

I had two comments I had to make.

#1. Has anyone else used anti-mech infantry? I never have, and the couple of times afterwards, I probably never will, simply because of their vulnerability. It seems they just got lucky because I didn't realize their threat. Am I correct in that assumption, or am I using them wrong? I used them in forest or city enviroments where they couldn't be destroyed at long range.

#2.....For fluff purposes, how do they take out a leg? Attach explosives blocks to the legs and then detonate them?

Not real important but a couple of wandering thoughts .
Christopher_Perkins
10/08/08 10:23 PM

Anti-Mech Infantry are one of the few things that can actually be dangerous if you stack with them (no other weapons have zero hex range)

Also, Anti-Mech infantry was relatively new in the 4th Succession War (or rediscovered... the SLDF grapnel rod argues that it was retconed in)

Fluff wise, the Infantry uses ropes (or, the 2750 Grapnel Rod) and climbs to the knees and stuffs a satchel charge into the Knee joint. Jump Capable infantry may drop the satchel into the knee joint.

Anti-Mech infantry is most effective with the Hidden Units rules... And the sole reason that 'Mechs like the Piranha exist
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
GrantPrien
10/08/08 11:54 PM

Ah, ok.

That answers a few questions I had

Much appreciated. (P.S. I forgot about that Hidden units rule....I think I'll use it in Megamek).
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/16/08 01:11 AM

The Gray Death Legion used Anti-Mech infantry extensively from there inception in the novels.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
10/16/08 02:01 AM

Quote:

The Gray Death Legion used Anti-Mech infantry extensively from there inception in the novels.

Fat load of good it did them too during the Fed Com civil war. *lost all respect for the Legion when they joined Katherine's cause*
Christopher_Perkins
10/16/08 08:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Fat load of good it did them too during the Fed Com civil war. *lost all respect for the Legion when they joined Katherine's cause*

They Didn't JOIN Katherines Cause...

They STAYED WITH the Lyran Cause... there is a major difference.

They were Duped by Katherine just like the majority of the Lyran People and many from the Federated Suns. That People Like Grayson Carlisle and Jackson Davion followed her was proof that she was a master Manipulator that was able, for the most part, to keep hidden for so long all of the stuff that eventually turned both houses against her. And this was Even from her senior military leader in the Federated Suns.

She was Just THAT good at being bad.

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/16/08 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They Didn't JOIN Katherines Cause...

They STAYED WITH the Lyran Cause... there is a major difference.

They were Duped by Katherine just like the majority of the Lyran People and many from the Federated Suns. That People Like Grayson Carlisle and Jackson Davion followed her was proof that she was a master Manipulator that was able, for the most part, to keep hidden for so long all of the stuff that eventually turned both houses against her. And this was Even from her senior military leader in the Federated Suns.

She was Just THAT good at being bad.

The Gray Death Legion is a 100% Lyran Commonwealth mercenary unit. Grayson Death Carlyle only supported the Fed Com because he saw that it was the best way for civilization to grow out of the Succession Wars. When he saw that there was no hope for that to work and saw that the Davion's where ignoring the Lyran People. He helped them to regain there ability to rule them selfs again.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
10/19/08 06:45 AM

Quote:

When he saw that there was no hope for that to work and saw that the Davion's where ignoring the Lyran People. He helped them to regain there ability to rule them selfs again.

Katherine Presented Herself as the "Lyran Hope"

The Truth was that she saw the Lyran people as her sole path to power... Had she been the Federated Suns regent as she was supposed to be, she could never have retained the power after splitting off the Federated Suns since she had never served in the Military.

Grayson Carlisle and the majority of the honorable people of the Lyran Commonwealth were duped by a Master Manipulator of the Media...

Victor was raised in the Lyran Commonwealth (Where Katherine was raised mostly in the Federated Suns) , but melded the Military knowledge of the Lyran and Federated States into a workable whole (his most telling losses were on the Field of Dishonor - the Poilitical Arena, not on the Field of Battle.)

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7358

Contact Admins Sarna.net