Loss of data?

Pages: 1
FrabbyModerator
10/25/08 12:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For a brief time today (25 Oct 2008), sarna.net was down. When I reached the site again, I was shocked to discover that the "recent changes" log had no entries beyond October 19 anymore. Before I could investigate further, the site went down again.

When I tried back an hour later I found that the Recent Changes section had been restored all the way up to today (Oct 25). On a hunch, I checked the changes and new articles I had created in the meantime. Most of the new articles (Super Wasp, Super Griffin, Project Phoenix, Jorge Belasco) as well as edit were there all right. However, one of the entries lost all text: Vost Lance. Check you the article, you'll see what I mean. It was a full-blown article and shows in the history section, but now the article is devoid of any text without any edits to it having been done.

What happened here?
Could this have affected other articles as well?
Nic JansmaAdministrator
10/25/08 01:52 PM

Hi Frabby!

You caught the website in the middle of a server migration

Sarna.net and some of the other websites that I have been hosting have outgrown their hardware, so I have purchased a new server and have been working on the migration over the last week. Last night, at approx 1:30am-2am PST, I made the move to the new server.

At about 1:30am the new and old server's IPs were swapped. I then stopped both webservers, copied the database from the old server to the new, and started the new webserver up. This took approx 3 minutes, but maybe you posted the article in that window? If so, you may have posted to the new server right before I took it down to download the data from the old server.

That is my best guess. I apologize for the loss of data. It should not happen again but let me know if you find any problems. The new hardware is quite an upgrade from the old so the site should be quicker for everyone.
-- NicJ
FrabbyModerator
10/25/08 05:17 PM

No, I was not editing the page.

Funny enough, the data is not entirely lost: When I tried to edit the (empty) page, the article appeared in the edit field. I saved the "edit" and the article was thus recovered - without showing the restoration edit in the history section.

Curious thing. I am not concerned about the particular data so much, but something bad happened to the data structure here. I am afraid that other articles may have been hit.
Is there any way to check for empty articles?

(Sorry, but as you can guess I'm helpless when it comes to computer technology or programming.)

Edited by Frabby (10/25/08 05:22 PM)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
10/25/08 06:16 PM

Certainly let me know if you find any other articles that look amiss, and I'll look into it.
-- NicJ
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5001

Contact Admins Sarna.net