A way to keep birds out of wingstube engines

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Newtype
02/21/09 03:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Put chicken wire on front end of wingstube engines. Air goes through chicken wire holes into engine but birds won't.
CrayModerator
02/23/09 06:57 PM

Quote:

Put chicken wire on front end of wingstube engines.

For the benefit of everyone else, please don't use personal jargon to communicate your ideas. So instead of your made-up term "wingstubes", just say "airplanes."

Quote:

Air goes through chicken wire holes into engine but birds won't.

When a bird hits chicken wire at 300mph (like a slow-moving jetliner just after takeoff) or faster (up to the 550-600mph cruising speed of a jetliner), it'll go through the chicken wire one of two ways:

First, by blowing a hole through the chicken wire. Bird strikes dent, puncture, and smash leading edges of aircraft that are much stronger than chicken wire. A large bird like a goose can cave in a quarter-inch thick high strength aluminum leading edge of a wing and annihilate the ultra-strong composite and titanium compressor fanblades of a jet engine. That same bird will blow through chicken wire like it wasn't there.

Second, if the chicken wire's strong enough to stop the bird, then the wire will just go through the bird like a hot knife through butter. A wire mesh moving at 300mph or faster will leave you with diced and cubed bird for the engine to ingest and destroy itself on.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
GiovanniBlasini
02/23/09 08:10 PM

See, as soon as I saw "chicken wire", the first thought that went through my head was "cheese grater".

As for the whole "wingstube" thing, where's the tube on these aircraft, HeroChip?

Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/23/09 10:03 PM

Jet engines are designed to take in a frozen turkey with out taking damage. Not that it works all that well but that is the basic idea.

If it was not for the blades, one might go through a jet engine and surviving with only burned skin. You would be in the engine for such a short time that you would be exposed to the heat of the engine for such a short time that you could survive the experience. Of course the blades are in there so you would be hamburger when you hit them. But at least what hamburger meat does come out and is not stuck in the engine will still be raw.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
02/25/09 08:16 AM

Quote:

If it was not for the blades, one might go through a jet engine and surviving with only burned skin.

The combustion section usually consists of air flowing through rather small holes (flame holders) to produce a stable flame front.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/en3pjc/index_files/image010.gif
http://www.solarnavigator.net/aviation_a...mber_GE_J79.jpg

Different jets have different combustion chambers, but they all entail small holes through which no frozen turkey will emerge in one piece.

I'm also not sure about the frozen turkey remaining unfrozen. Jet engine cores heat tens to hundreds of pounds of high heat capacity materials (air, kerosene, sometimes water) to very high temperatures in a fraction of a second, and generally do so at elevated pressures (up to 25 times ambient pressure). 15 pounds of frozen turkey going through a jet engine will be going through a 3000F pressure cooker designed to flash-heat greater masses of air.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Newtype
02/27/09 05:23 PM

Airplane implies a plane (flat figure) of air particles. How about spring armor to negate physical damage caused by birds?
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/153679/an/0/page/0#153679
GiovanniBlasini
03/01/09 04:59 AM

Quote:

Airplane implies a plane (flat figure) of air particles.

Wrong word entymology.

Quote:

How about spring armor to negate physical damage caused by birds?

No.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Newtype
03/02/09 05:28 PM

What's wrong with spring armor to keep birds out while having holes to let air into engines?
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03/03/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How about spring armor to negate physical damage caused by birds?

No.

How about seeing if we can have a brain inserted into newtype's head.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/04/09 09:43 PM

Quote:

How about seeing if we can have a brain inserted into newtype's head.

That's about as scientifically possible as getting Scientoligists to stop trying to brainwash the earth.
03/05/09 10:24 PM

Dont you think thats more likely than him coming up with something good?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/06/09 01:18 PM

Quote:

Dont you think thats more likely than him coming up with something good?

Maybe.

Newtype
03/21/09 05:28 PM

How about an elastic fishing net to keep birds out of engines? In theory as the wingstube moves forward, the elastic fishing net, which can have its connections to engine cover strengthened with strong adhesieve, merely pushes against a bird and when that net is taught it slingshoots the bird away?
Fang
03/24/09 01:12 PM

Newtype, I am not sure you are understanding the sheer speeds at whcih aircraft travel. Not sure it would matter a whole lot what was covering the front of the engine. And anything that would be strong enough to do so at the speeds jet aircraft fly at, would probably make the aircraft heavier than is logical and terribly fuel inefficient. You might asa well suggest mounting a vulcan cannon over each engine and linking them together via a targeting comp of somesort so that they work in unison to shoot down any foreign objects that threaten to collide with the aircraft. While it sounds cool, is impossible put into action. Like chicken wire, or an elastic net. Just. Not. feasible. Undersatnd, I am not trying to squash your creativity, just letting you know the idea is impractical.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
03/24/09 07:35 PM

It would be nice if newtype would do the same as I did. No one wanted to hear what I had to say about vehicles, so I stopped talking about them. Now if newtype would stop talking about all of the moronic ideas that he keeps coming up with, but that is just a pipe dream that everyone on list has but him him.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/24/09 09:05 PM

Quote:

It would be nice if newtype would do the same as I did. No one wanted to hear what I had to say about vehicles, so I stopped talking about them. Now if newtype would stop talking about all of the moronic ideas that he keeps coming up with, but that is just a pipe dream that everyone on list has but him him.

You talked about vehicles?
03/26/09 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, and I was told no one wanted to hear it because battlemechs are the king of the battlefield. I know that's bull droppings, but no one wanted to hear it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/26/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, and I was told no one wanted to hear it because battlemechs are the king of the battlefield. I know that's bull droppings, but no one wanted to hear it.

Looking back, I really don't see any of that. All I really see are just a bunch of un-replied to posts vehicle-wise, and at that only a few.
03/27/09 11:43 PM

Then your not looking in the right places. I was by mutable people that they don't want to hear about vehicles.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/28/09 03:32 PM

Quote:

Then your not looking in the right places. I was by mutable people that they don't want to hear about vehicles.

In no past post from you in the design forums here did Lafeel, Christopher_Perkins, Dester, Karagin or Fang say anything about not wanting to hear about vehicles. Only about 1/2 of them had any comments/suggestions, and from what I have seen all of them were in good taste.
03/28/09 05:59 PM

Who said anything about a post that I started? Also I did not say they where in bad taste. I said no one wanted to hear about it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/28/09 06:10 PM

Quote:

Who said anything about a post that I started? Also I did not say they where in bad taste. I said no one wanted to hear about it.

Of course you started the post- posting something means sharing something with other people, i. e. you sharing your vehicle designs with other members. Thus, these posts about a custom-made vehicle (that you made) mean that you started them.

I didn't say anything about bad taste either. But you have been likening this to the other members telling you something hurtful (it sucks, we don't want to see vehicles, ect.) and that has been something I have not seen. All I see in your design posts is that 1/2 of them have replies, and the other has sound ideas about enhancing the design as a whole.
03/29/09 03:11 AM

Sorry, I meant thread. I did not start the thread.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/29/09 12:24 PM

Well, in no past thread that you started did anyone say anything about not wanting to see a vehicle on these boards. Only 1/2 of them had replies, and of that 1/2 they were all in good context.
03/30/09 12:58 PM

Dont be a newtype, I said I did not start the thread.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/30/09 02:03 PM

Quote:

Dont be a newtype, I said I did not start the thread.

What?

Look, if you start a thread, like your "poor mans light field artilary" you started the thread. It's that simple. So again, I reaffirm what I said earlier; nobody has ever said anything about not wanting to see a vehicle on these boards.
03/31/09 05:56 AM

OK, you are newtype's identical twin, you wont listen to what you're told. What part of, "I did not start the thread that I was told no one wants to hear about it", are you incapable of understanding? Are you so much a newtype that you think, unlike everyone else, I can not post comments on threads that other people start?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/31/09 10:11 AM

Quote:

OK, you are newtype's identical twin, you wont listen to what you're told. What part of, "I did not start the thread that I was told no one wants to hear about it", are you incapable of understanding?

Then why would you say nobody would want to see vehicles if there is no post or thread about it?

Quote:

Are you so much a newtype that you think, unlike everyone else, I can not post comments on threads that other people start?

Remember- you are dealing with a /b/tard, here, Donkey.
Newtype
03/31/09 06:14 PM

Elastic nets can stop aircraft when they land so they should have no trouble catching birds.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03/31/09 10:54 PM

Quote:

Elastic nets can stop aircraft when they land so they should have no trouble catching birds.

And muzzles work to shut mouths, try one newtype!!!

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 31416

Contact Admins Sarna.net