Why no structure tonnage for aerofighters?

Pages: 1
Newtype
03/06/09 11:28 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
An aerofighter should have tonnage devoted to structure such as landing gear. But the published aerofighters don't. That doesn't make sense.
Fang
03/17/09 01:02 PM

If I remember correctly, there is tonnage set aside for an internal structure of sorts when creating aerofighters. as to why it does not show in a TRO? possibly a typo, or some misunderstanding/misreading of the stats.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Newtype
03/17/09 07:21 PM

Read TROs of aerofighters. I noticed in TRO 3057 that there was no tonnage for internal structure for any aerofighter. TRO 3025 I think has aerofighter TROs and there's no tonnage listed for their internal structure either. Here, take a look at the specs for a Cheetah aerofighter. http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/Aerospace/FighterInfo.asp?ID=38
GiovanniBlasini
03/17/09 08:10 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, there is tonnage set aside for an internal structure of sorts when creating aerofighters. as to why it does not show in a TRO? possibly a typo, or some misunderstanding/misreading of the stats.

Nope. Structural mass is, presumably, factored into the armor and, perhaps, engine mass. Aerospace fighters don't allocate tonnage to internal structure the way 'Mechs and other vehicles do.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Fang
03/18/09 10:05 AM

OOooooh. Well, I haven't played using aerofighters too much. Nice to learn something new. New to me, anyway. Cool.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Christopher_Perkins
03/18/09 11:15 PM

AeroFighters are like Beer Cans... when sufficient pressure is supplied, they are crushed...

BattleMechs are much more durable than AeroSpace Fighters...

This is demonstrated by the Thresholding Rules and the risk of damaging the Structural Integrity with the G's when thrust spent is higher than the SI.

So, BattleMechs trade Mass for the Skeleton and Myomer Musculature....

And AeroSpace Fighters dont have to pay extra mass for the Armour Encased beer can
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Newtype
03/20/09 11:46 AM

Quote:

Nope. Structural mass is, presumably, factored into the armor and, perhaps, engine mass. Aerospace fighters don't allocate tonnage to internal structure the way 'Mechs and other vehicles do.

Structural mass is not factored into armor. The tonnage for armor points on a 'Mech is the same for an aerofighter, and the tonnage for an engine for a 'Mech is the same for an aerofighter using same rated engine and type (standard fusion, XL, compact fusion). An aerodyne DropShip has tonnage for internal structure but an aerofighter doesn't.
Christopher_Perkins
03/20/09 08:39 PM

NewType, there IS no structure the Armour is formed into an AeroDynamic (...well) Shape around an empty space...

and High G's and hiccups can crush it

so, in a way, the structural mass (what little there is of it) and Landing Gear, Etc are factored into the mass of the Armour.

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Newtype
03/21/09 05:25 PM

Armor does not make landing gear wheels and the electric equipment to move them into position for landing/takeoff.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christopher_Perkins
03/21/09 07:23 PM

Quote:

Armor does not make landing gear wheels and the electric equipment to move them into position for landing/takeoff.

Do you have somewhere that you are going with this?

The Rounding in the BattleTech Game that all of the things that you DO pay for in the fighter could easily cover the mass of the Wheels, and Landing Gear

Zandel_Corrin
03/22/09 11:39 PM

not to mention that aero armour is lighter then mech armour so for the same weight it should have MORE points then mech armour.... but it has the same points of protection... why? Because the internal bits are factored in there.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Christopher_Perkins
03/23/09 01:56 AM

Quote:

not to mention that aero armour is lighter then mech armour

um no, steel plates with interwoven diamond fibers or ceramics would weigh the same with the same surface area since they would need to have the same thickness to diissapate or stop the same amount of damage, granted, aerospace fighters are probably large enought o get away wiith using the double hulled technique which would trade target area for damage dissapation (i.e. larger target due to volume of the ship)

Compare a RalPartha/Iron Wind Metals Standard Scale Fighter Mini with the same companies BattleMechs, which has more surface area for the same protection.... (or, drop the parts in a beaker and which displaces more water) when the fighter and the battlemech have the same Tonnage, Armour Type (Standard = Standard, Ferro-Fibrous = Ferro-Aluminum)

MaiShirunaiispretty
03/24/09 12:16 PM

What rounding, Christopher Perkins, are you referring to for each aerofighter design?
Wow, those bracing maneuvers sure do come in handy when firing proximity fused precision cluster flak ammo at a Balancer LAM. Unfortunately they make my 'Mech an immobile target for that LAM. Oh well, at least I'm getting partial cover.
Newtype
03/24/09 02:27 PM

Christopher Perkins, I wanted to point out that aerofighters should have takeoff/landing gear equipment tonnages. An aeroDropShip does have tonnage devoted to internal structure to presumably cover such tonnages but an aerofighter doesn't. Seems silly that an aerofighter can takeoff/land with zero tonnage takeoff/landing gear equipment.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8664

Contact Admins Sarna.net