8_12&13
9_14&15
10_16&17
11_18&19
12_20
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/31/09 11:23 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I know that I will regret asking this when I get the answer. WTF would anyone want to convert d6 to d10 when everything is based on d6?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Newtype
04/03/09 11:45 AM

I wasn't aware that CBT RPG was a D6 game; I thought it was D10 like MW3RPG.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christopher_Perkins
04/03/09 01:32 PM

Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG / A Time of War
1st Edition is 2d6 only
2nd Edition is 2d6 only
3rd Edition is a mixture between 2d6 and 2d10
4th Edition has not yet been published, perhapse later on this year or early next

BattleTech has only ever been 2d6

newtype, just easier to do the percenages...

What are you working on, weapon ranges or converting 2d6 Life Path Tables to 2d10?
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (04/03/09 01:49 PM)
Christopher_Perkins
04/04/09 01:55 AM

this is closer to an equivelencie

when the 2d10 are both 0 - 9

2 = 0 & 1
3 = 2 & 3
4 = 4 & 5
5 = 6
6 = 7 & 8
7 = 9
8 = 10 & 11
9 = 12
10 = 13 & 14
11 = 15 & 16
12 = 17 & 18

when the 2d10 are both 1 - 10

2 = 2 & 3
3 = 4 & 5
4 = 6 & 7
5 = 8
6 = 9 & 10
7 = 11
8 = 12 & 13
9 = 14
10 = 15 & 16
11 = 17 & 18
12 = 19 & 20

when the 2d10 are 0 - 9 and 1-10

2 = 1 & 2
3 = 3 & 4
4 = 5 & 6
5 = 7
6 = 8 & 9
7 = 10
8 = 11 & 12
9 = 13
10 = 14 & 15
11 = 16 & 17
12 = 18 & 19

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (04/04/09 01:59 AM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/09/09 12:26 PM

Is the reason that I have gotten lost on this is that the rules that I am familiar with are out dated?

Newtype don't bother answering, I want someone to answer that knows what there talking about.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
04/09/09 09:23 PM

Quote:

Is the reason that I have gotten lost on this is that the rules that I am familiar with are out dated?

No, it's not really applicable to much of anything. MW3 RPG has specific guidance for converting 2d10-based skills to 2d6-based Battletech boardgame skills, and they aren't as listed in this thread.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
04/10/09 03:06 PM

Thank the gods we're not going to need anything like this in not so long. Especially given that they're useless and not mathematically valid.

Cheers.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Christopher_Perkins
04/11/09 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, it's not really applicable to much of anything. MW3 RPG has specific guidance for converting 2d10-based skills to 2d6-based Battletech boardgame skills, and they aren't as listed in this thread.

didnt say anything about converting the skills before either, just the ranges...

before you say that there was no link... look at Mechwarrior's Guide to Solaris VII... specificly the part where it mentions using 100 m x battleTech hexes (while retaining 30 m for movement) in the story teller/boardless play section.

The skills only came into play because i was trying to figure out what Skill Level in the RPG was Equivelent to 4 Gunner in BattleTech... Once that bit of Guesswork was done then it was a simple matter of plugging in the BT long range in the 8 spot on the 2d6 table and plugging in the RPG extreme range into the correct spot on the 2d10 RPG table (but once thats done its only really useful to turn BT weapons that have not been converted yet into RPG weapons, use once than ignore)

also converting 2d6 Life Paths into 2d10, again, use once to fix the old table then not really necessary to keep a hold of it

Christopher_Perkins
04/11/09 11:22 AM

Quote:

Newtype don't bother answering, I want someone to answer that knows what there talking about.

what rules are you familiar with?

Mechwarrior 1st Edition and TR3026?

Mechwarrior 2nd Edition, Mechwarrior Companion, & Chaos March?

Mechwarrior 3rd Edition (Or CBT RPG), LosTech & Classic BattleTech RPG Companion... Wait, they forgot to include the RPG in the title didnt they? certainly cofused a LOT of people that wondered why they got so many RPG rules in a BATTLETECH book (ROFLMAO)

Hopefully they have working Infantry Platoon Conversion Rules and BattleMech Dueling Rules right in the "A Time of War" book... say, publishing Missile Stats that convert to the right numbers for the right Mass... that would be novel... LosTech bollixed up the Light SRM (BT) / RPG SRM to be as heavy as a SRM (BT) / Heavy SRM (RPG) would be and never got around to publishing the one that the BattleArmour would actually be carrying...

Bob_Richter
04/11/09 03:33 PM

Perk, there was no link, as I've explained (at length) in other venues.

Your purported evidence is nothing of the sort.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Christopher_Perkins
04/11/09 11:28 PM

did you do the due dillagence?

Running the tables as I described I was comming within acceptible rounding (in meters) for the book values for the Ranges linking the BattleTech Long range to the BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition extreme range, especially in regards to the 21 Hexes for the LRM in BattleTech and the 2100 meters for the LRM in the BattleTech RPG.

The only ones that really game me fits is where the weapon would have to fire longer duration, or more pulses/shells to reach the BattleTech Damage when you use the Combat Operations Infantry Platoon Creation Rules. Expecting the RPG Lasers & Machine Guns to have the Same Damage and Range as their Mechwarrior 2nd Edition Equivelents without fireing longer duration beams, more pulses, or more shots in a burst is exactly the same mistake that caused them to disallow Pintle weapons from 5,000 kg plus Support vehicles because some PlayTestor that was more Familiar with Mechwarrior 2nd Edition fireing rules with 1 Shot = 1 full battletech Burst than he was with the Combat Operations IPCR Rules that quite clearly indicate that RPG Weapons consume at minimum the MW3rd Edition / CBT RPG and LosTech burst Rating to do their BattleTech Damage Rating complained that the Semi-Portable Autocannon was able to do its 3 BattleTech Damage 200 times at no cost in ammo Mass... Some Play Testor was drawing from the same supply as NewType. 3 Damage vs Barrier 10 Armour from the weak as crap Semi-Portable Autocannnon consumes RPG 150 Shots in a single BattleTech Volly of Fire.

To Get the Stated Range and Damage for the Heavy MG converting from the Semi-Portable Autocannon requires a massive amount of shots, recoil compensation, etc.

(Note that the BT RPG SRM in Mechwarrior 3rd Edition & Classic BattleTech RPG or LosTech still is not the same weapon as the BattleTech SRM... the BT SRM is the BT RPG Heavy SRM, and this hasnt changed from MW 2ed Companion and TR 3026... they still havn't fixed this in TW, created new infantry missile weapons, yes, but they still do not have an infantry SRM in TW/TM that is 2 BT Damage per missile weapon and is fired from a single tube 20 kg Weapon or a two tube 30 kg weapon or a 1 BT Damage per missile weapon that is fired from a two tube 20 kg weapon)

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (04/11/09 11:48 PM)
Tripod
05/18/09 10:34 PM

1_1
2_2&3
3_4&5
4_6&7
5_8&9
6_10

why is there a 1 in 10 chance to roll a 1 and a 2 in 10 to roll a 5?
TBA
Bob_Richter
05/22/09 08:06 PM

Unfortunately, the only dilligence that was due was:
1) recognizing the fundamental absurdity of the claim
2) finding a single contradicting case.

I did both of these things, and your thesis stands refuted.

You stumbled upon a coincidence. You think it's significant, but it isn't, and you don't have any evidence that it is.

Christopher_Perkins
05/22/09 09:29 PM

Refute Each Point individually if you can

1: Mechwarrior's Guide to Solaris VII indicates that BattleTech Long Range in Hexes mulltiplied by 100 meters is used to represent the range for BattleMech Weapons in the RPG in the Story Teller System (i call it this because it is not intended to be used on maps)

2: Combat Equipment Guide indicates that vehicle mounted weapons without targeting systems get a +2 Penalty... the "Advanced Fire Control System" for SUV and the BattleMech Targeting System therefore get a native -2 targeting bonus that does not show up in the regular/non rpg game.

3: the LRM is the single weapon that has the Same Damage in the RPG and BattleTech when the RPG Stats are run through the IPCR... (this is where the due dilllagence comes in - Run the IPCR formula for the LosTech Stats)

4: Infantry Laser Weapons are under powered in comparison with their BattleTech Equivelents, this means that BattleMech Mounted Pulse Lasers that retain the Basic Stats need to fire lots more pulses in the RPG than they are statted for in the RPG, and require LOTS of power in comparison with the ones that only do the LostTech Max fire rate.

5: Infantry Machine Guns require lots more shots in BattleMech Mounts if they retain the basic Stats than they are statted for in the RPG Model published in LosTech.

6: The Range, Maximum Burst /Modifier, and Damage in LosTech and Classic BattleTech Companion are not correct for the BattleArmour/BattleMech type Weapons due to the Author copying the LosTech Stats without modifying then for increases in Targeting Penalty caused by ramping up the Pulses or Shells consumed by a burst.

What is absurd about assuming that the writers of the third edition of the BattleTech RPG had the intention of linking the +8/+9 (+4/+5 for a 4 gunner) percentage chance from a 2d6 at long range for BattleTech with the Extreme Range Bracket?

To me, it is absurd to suggest that they constantly bungle their way towards what ever results they get.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10358

Contact Admins Sarna.net