light hover craft

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CrayModerator
11/21/08 08:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

Glad you have the time to play 2 to 3 BT games in a month or every couple of months

I think you misread my post because it didn't say anything about how often I played.

Quote:

but as things are, for most vehicles are not worth worrying about.

Is that based on personal experience or have you run a poll on HMPro.com to that effect? (If so, got a link?)

With the power of the internet and the possibility of hundreds of players responding to a poll, we should be able to get a very good idea of how many BT players regularly use vehicles. Personal testimony from 3 players (me, you, His Most Royal) isn't a sufficient sampling.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (11/21/08 01:54 PM)
Christopher_Perkins
11/22/08 07:37 AM

BattleTech Master Rules Revised Edition

P.127 Vehicle Table
Minimum Engine Weight 20% of HoverCraft Tonnage

Classic BattleTech Tech Manual
(The Current BattleTech Construction Rules Book)

p.94
"however, hovercraft must tie up at least one-fifth of their total mass in engine
weight, which can restrict their weapon choices."

on p.101
"a 45-ton hovertank has a minimum engine weight of 9 tons (20 percent of 45 tons = 9 tons). If this vehicle then attempts to install an ICE engine that provides 6 Cruising MP, it can either accept that its 35-Rated ICE (Engine Rating 35: [45 tons x 6 Cruising MP] – 235 Suspension Factor = 35) weighs 9 tons rather than its customary 2-ton weight, or it can upgrade its speed until it finds a “legitimate” rating-to-weight ratio."
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (11/22/08 07:45 AM)
Christopher_Perkins
11/22/08 07:47 AM

Quote:

I did people complained of it more than the vehicle or mech that i was posting. So I cut the fluff.

Actually People Talked about the fluff

Did they ever comment on the Stats?

That should tell you which matters more to them.
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
GundamMerc
04/28/09 10:05 AM

Personally I agree with His Most Royal on this one. Why shouldnt people post designs based on house rules? They arent causing any harm, and can actually give you ideas and inspirations in your own designs. What you guys seem to be doing is the same thing that happens on Wikipedia. You keep following the rules like hounds on a scent, even when it gets in the way of having fun.
Lefric
04/28/09 11:26 AM

Quote:

Personally I agree with His Most Royal on this one. Why shouldnt people post designs based on house rules? They arent causing any harm, and can actually give you ideas and inspirations in your own designs. What you guys seem to be doing is the same thing that happens on Wikipedia. You keep following the rules like hounds on a scent, even when it gets in the way of having fun.

Without equal rules, you have no basis for comparison, and no basis for discussion. To claim otherwise is perposterous.

Imagine if at 25 NBA arenas, the rim is at 10' high, but at 3 it is at 8' high, as these teams are all made up of guys under 6' 6". Further, at the last two, the teams have several good outside shooters, so the rim is 11 feet high, but the 3 point line is two feet closer.

See how "house rules" invalidate discussions? If the rules arn't the same for everyone, you can't discuss weather something is "fair" or not.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/28/09 01:15 PM

The thing is I am not braking the rule I just have a different interpretation of the rule.

I am saying if a ICE power plant can lift the hover craft and the power output is the same between ICE and fusion engine I can use a fusion power plant to replace the ICE engine even though the fusion engine does not technically follow the rule as others define the rule. for example if a hover craft can have a 100 ICE engine that they can also use a 100 fusion engine. Both engines create the same amount of power to lift the hover craft.

Why do hover craft have a engine weight restriction and VTOLs and hydrofoils do not?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
04/29/09 09:14 PM

Game balance, pure and simple. With advanced tech like XL engines and Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor, the speed of a hovercraft can become so high and the armor can become so thick that it is extremely hard to hit and kill. Now put an AC/20 onto that design- not so fun, eh ?
CrayModerator
04/29/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

Game balance, pure and simple. With advanced tech like XL engines and Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor, the speed of a hovercraft can become so high and the armor can become so thick that it is extremely hard to hit and kill. Now put an AC/20 onto that design- not so fun, eh ?

Until it runs into something with a bunch of SRMs or an LB20X.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Prince_of_Darkness
04/29/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Until it runs into something with a bunch of SRMs or an LB20X.

Yeah, but then again, what likes to run into a bunch of SRM's or an LB 20X ?
04/30/09 04:15 AM

Quote:

Basically doing that you defeat the cost savings of a vehicle. You might as well buy a battlemech. Because of the extra weight that vehicles must have with fusion engines there really is not that much in weight savings with XL engines. What you are really looking for with a fusion engine in a tank is in the use of lasers with the heat sinks that come with it and not needing power amps.

You seem to have forgotten that vehicles do have limits the the amount of armor that they can have.

If I wanted a AC20 in a vehicle I would not have a fusion engine in it. I would have a ICE engine. I would rather have the cost savings of the ICE than the very slight weight savings of the fusion engine or XL fusion engine would bring me.

I have the same reason that I don't like any kind of FF armor. It is not worth the extra cost.

After all this time you still don't understand me. Everything always comes down to the Cbill with me. Money IS power! The person that uses his money the best will almost always win.

I know that I will lose vehicles in combat. So I want to make sure that what I lose is not very expensive. I don't mind losing four .3m tanks if it means that I captured a 5m battlemech.

How about looking at it this way. Your .6billion Cbill regiment goes up against my vehicles that cost 40million each regiments . To have the same cost value of are armies, you're up ageist 15 to one odds. Yes I will take great losses if your full regiment is only fighting each one of mine separately. But in the end I will finely wear you down. If I could attack each one of your companies with a reinforced regiment of my vehicles my losses would be a great deal less to almost non existent.

I know you look at and think in terms of battle value. I look at BT in a more real life setting where Generals are concerned about getting the funding for there armies form the politicians. You know the real world where the more money the Generals need the more the politicians get tight fisted.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
GundamMerc
05/05/09 10:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Without equal rules, you have no basis for comparison, and no basis for discussion. To claim otherwise is perposterous.

Imagine if at 25 NBA arenas, the rim is at 10' high, but at 3 it is at 8' high, as these teams are all made up of guys under 6' 6". Further, at the last two, the teams have several good outside shooters, so the rim is 11 feet high, but the 3 point line is two feet closer.

See how "house rules" invalidate discussions? If the rules arn't the same for everyone, you can't discuss weather something is "fair" or not.

I see youve never heard of baseball then. the only part of the field that is really regulated is the infield, the outfield wall and distance from home are very different at each stadium you go to.
Prince_of_Darkness
05/05/09 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Basically doing that you defeat the cost savings of a vehicle. You might as well buy a battlemech. Because of the extra weight that vehicles must have with fusion engines there really is not that much in weight savings with XL engines. What you are really looking for with a fusion engine in a tank is in the use of lasers with the heat sinks that come with it and not needing power amps.

Then why do you, in your vehicle designing process, put a fusion engine for power in them? IT does the exact same thing.

Quote:

You seem to have forgotten that vehicles do have limits the the amount of armor that they can have.

You seem to forget how Ferro Fibrous armors work. For the same amount in points I have lees weight put into it, equaling extra weight for weapons and equipment.

Quote:

If I wanted a AC20 in a vehicle I would not have a fusion engine in it. I would have a ICE engine. I would rather have the cost savings of the ICE than the very slight weight savings of the fusion engine or XL fusion engine would bring me.

To each his own, but remember that you don't want to turn your AC/20 tank into a Saladin.

Quote:

I have the same reason that I don't like any kind of FF armor. It is not worth the extra cost.

Why? Look at Heavy Ferro Fibrous- it gives 24% more armor than standard, meaning that putting it on any assault 'mech it will free up as much weight as endo steel. For 3 spaces on a vehicle, I think it's worth it.

Quote:

After all this time you still don't understand me. Everything always comes down to the Cbill with me. Money IS power! The person that uses his money the best will almost always win.

That's up to conjecture. If everything you field is cheap and low cost it is one thing, but what if you also didn't use that wisely? Take artillery- it's expensive, but extremely useful.

Quote:

I know that I will lose vehicles in combat. So I want to make sure that what I lose is not very expensive. I don't mind losing four .3m tanks if it means that I captured a 5m battlemech.

That's true, but how often does that occur? What if you lose a cheap Ontos tank, but in it's process salvage a more expensive Urbanmech? Seems like a Phyrric victory, eh?

Quote:

How about looking at it this way. Your .6billion Cbill regiment goes up against my vehicles that cost 40million each regiments . To have the same cost value of are armies, you're up ageist 15 to one odds. Yes I will take great losses if your full regiment is only fighting each one of mine separately. But in the end I will finely wear you down. If I could attack each one of your companies with a reinforced regiment of my vehicles my losses would be a great deal less to almost non existent.

WAT

Quote:

I know you look at and think in terms of battle value. I look at BT in a more real life setting where Generals are concerned about getting the funding for there armies form the politicians. You know the real world where the more money the Generals need the more the politicians get tight fisted.

You still are not making any sense. Do you have a source on your allegations?
Lefric
05/05/09 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see youve never heard of baseball then. the only part of the field that is really regulated is the infield, the outfield wall and distance from home are very different at each stadium you go to.

Invalid example. While you are correct that the distance to the outfield wall isn't identical in every ball park, the relevant point is that the distance between the bases is always 90'. What you are arguing is not the minor difference that is a few feet difference between the distance to outfield walls in ballparks. You are arguing that in Yankee statdium, the bases are 80' apart, while at Fenway park, they are 100 feet. Fundemental difference invalidates comparisons.

And before you use baseball as an example again, there are a great many people who say that different outfield dimensions invalidates baseball records for the very reason you are trying to use in a proof for your point. Again, ifferent rules make comparisons impossible.

And in something "technical" like a mech design, this is even far more true.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell

Edited by Lefric (05/05/09 01:26 PM)
GundamMerc
05/07/09 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Invalid example. While you are correct that the distance to the outfield wall isn't identical in every ball park, the relevant point is that the distance between the bases is always 90'. What you are arguing is not the minor difference that is a few feet difference between the distance to outfield walls in ballparks. You are arguing that in Yankee statdium, the bases are 80' apart, while at Fenway park, they are 100 feet. Fundemental difference invalidates comparisons.

And before you use baseball as an example again, there are a great many people who say that different outfield dimensions invalidates baseball records for the very reason you are trying to use in a proof for your point. Again, ifferent rules make comparisons impossible.

um, i think you missed the part where i said the infield WAS regulated, also im not saying its wrong to have different dimensions. the outfield walls also tend to differ in height and material of construction.

and this is a valid comparison, as i am showing you can have a regulated sport with "home rules" aka the difference in the outfield distances and the like. now instead of bristling because someone likes to make up his own rules for home play (which he probably doesnt use if he is at a tournament, so the "its because of game balance" doesnt really apply), why dont you try to use constructive criticism, make your own units using traditional rules, and leave him the hell alone.
Lefric
05/07/09 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

um, i think you missed the part where i said the infield WAS regulated, also im not saying its wrong to have different dimensions. the outfield walls also tend to differ in height and material of construction.

and this is a valid comparison, as i am showing you can have a regulated sport with "home rules" aka the difference in the outfield distances and the like. now instead of bristling because someone likes to make up his own rules for home play (which he probably doesnt use if he is at a tournament, so the "its because of game balance" doesnt really apply), why dont you try to use constructive criticism, make your own units using traditional rules, and leave him the hell alone.

1) Calm down. I'm trying to have a discussion, and you're telling me to shut up?

2) Check out what I said. I specifcally said two things 1) My example is that baseball is the same in all but outfield distances, which invalidates your example, and 2) Many people claim baseball records are invalid for the very reason you are using it as an example. Thus, your example fails for two reasons.

3) If you think my criticisim wasn't constructive, perhaps you need to learn the definition of the term. I am encouraging "him" to make his comparisons valid by using a set of rules we all know, can play with, and trust to be valid. That is not negative in any way shape or form.

4) I will say this one more time: If the rules arn't the same, we can't compare them. I do not know his house rule, have never played with it, and therefore can't say if it's fair or balanced, or even a good rule. If he wants to design something using the normal rules, we can discsuss it. If not, he is no better than newtype's houseruls of "I can make a LAM with no gyro becuase of my RPG characters lifepath." A-hem? I rest my case.

Edited by Lefric (05/07/09 02:45 PM)
CrayModerator
05/07/09 03:19 PM

Oi, Gundam, lighten up a bit. Don't make me get all moderatory.

Lefric, home rules presented here have a time and place on the forums, too. That's how people present new equipment for review. If you feel you can't evaluate a design because of custom rules, you can say so, but a poster is entitled to use all the home rules he wants - so long as he stays within the posting rules, he can post what he wants.

And both of you, the baseball analogy is starting to turn into thread drift by becoming an argument of its own.

05/07/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

I am not making a "NEW" rule I am interrupting a currant rule differently than others. My way can be tournament legal it would be up to the people that govern the rules for tournaments to decide if its legal or not. To which I doubt anyone on this list has sole say in the matter. I could enter my design into a tournament and get a ruling. If I disagree with the ruling I could challenge it with the higher ups after the tournament is over. At some point my interruption of the rule will be accepted or denied. It might even get all the way up to the governing board of BT tournaments because of the logic behind my interruption of the rule.

There is a proses of rule judging at any tournament. If one disagrees with the ruling it can be challenged to the ruling body after the tournament is over for future tournaments. It happens all the time with tournaments. Though it does happen for the most part the rule at the time stands for the current tournament.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
05/07/09 09:00 PM

While i'm also of the same opinion about the min engine weight reqs for hover vehicles....

I do believe that our interpretation of that rule has been put forth and denied at tournament lvl b4.

I remember reading something about it.... years ago now but from then on I decided to house rule it.... After all why go fusion if it still weighs the same and just makes your vehicle stupidly fast?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
GundamMerc
05/08/09 11:39 AM

I must have forgotten my pills that day, as I was a bit over the hedge, so to speak. Sorry for the little outburst there (although I still am confused by what he is trying to say). I also sometimes get sidetracked into proving my point, so if i start doing that tell me.
05/08/09 12:07 PM

Quote:

While i'm also of the same opinion about the min engine weight reqs for hover vehicles....

I do believe that our interpretation of that rule has been put forth and denied at tournament lvl b4.

I remember reading something about it.... years ago now but from then on I decided to house rule it.... After all why go fusion if it still weighs the same and just makes your vehicle stupidly fast?

I have said in the past it has nothing what so ever to do with speed. If speed was the concern I would use a bigger engine. It has everything to do with the 10 free heat sinks.

I still don't see why you have a burr up your flank about it. Since I will never play with you, why do you care what I do what so ever? You should have just ignored the entire thread instead of making a big deal about it. Is it drama for drama's sake?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Tripod
05/24/09 03:51 AM

Umm...

Hate get off track on this thread but.... since when was a large pulse laser a LONG range weapon?

House rules are cool, I like designs of different rule interpretations, just be SURE you let everyone know you used a different interpretation of a rule in construction!
TBA
05/24/09 06:38 AM

Well this whole thing was well dragged out before. I would not have reopened this can of worms if I was not specifically asked by two people to show some of my concept designs. People like Cray and PoD knew exactly what to expect and still rehashed the old comments. I had said in the past, if you don't like them don't use them in the games that you play. No one is putting a gun to your head telling you you must use them.

Well, since I know that if I ever try to post any of my vehicle designs I will have to put up with this yet again. No matter how many people ask endlessly, I'm not going to post another vehicle. Its not worth the rehash.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
12/16/16 03:33 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 30149

Contact Admins Sarna.net