PNT-15K Panther

Pages: 1
Lafeel
05/11/09 06:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Yes I am aware of the 16K variant, but all will be explained when it comes to the lower number.

Code:
 Panther PNT-15K
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Technology Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3075
Extinct By: Never
Chassis: Alshain 560 Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Omni 175 Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed: 53.75 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.0 km/h
Jump Jets: Lexington Ltd Lifters
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Durallex Medium Light Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
1 Victory Nickel Alloy ER Large Laser
1 Shigunga Adaptarack MML-5
1 C3 Computer (Slave)
Manufacturer: Wakizashi Enterprises
Primary Factory: New Samarkhand
Communications System: Sipher ComCon SCU-4
Targeting and Tracking System: Cat's Eyes 5
Overview
The end of the Wolf War saw the DCMS come to a uncomfortable conclusion, which was that the Panther, while a capable mech in it's day, was by now severly out of date and badly needed a rethink.

While newbuilds had managed to improve the design somewhat there was still a huge number of the lack luster 10K refits around meaning that something would have to be done about those before even considering building more of the newer models.

A combined think tank of Chadran Arms and Wakizashi engineers went to work redesigning the Pnt-10K with the intent of making it a much better design for the late 31st century, a no easy task seeing as the resources allocated were a bit limited so using excessively expensive items such as extra light engines was out of the picture.

Intially stumped, the design team's salvation came when they heard of Ceres Metal's reworking of the Vindicator as they soon came to the conclusion that a similar treatment would be just the thing the Panther needed to become a capable design again.

Capabilities
The first thing on the list was to redo the heat sinks, replacing the thirteen single heat sinks with ten doubles, this being made considerably easier by the installation of a new 175 rated engine, improving the design's ground speed to 58 kilometers a hour, and the addition of a extra jump jet also improved the design's jumping distance to 150 meters.

It was with no small regret that the design team eventually chose to replace the Panther's signeature weapon with a extended range large laser, but the two tons thus gained were put into good use. First on the to get list was a C3 slave system, considerably improving the Panther's ability to work with it's lance mates, while a five tube multiple missile launcher not only more than made up for the downgrade of the main weapon, but also improved the short range firepower slightly.

As a final touch the design gained a half ton of armor and had all of it replaced with light ferro fibrous armour, improving the protection to near maximum, which also caused it to be redesigned a little in outside appearance, gaining a more cat like look as befitting it's name.

All in all the new Panther was in every way a improvement over it's preceding refits

Deployment
Wakizashi has issued a recall of all current in service 10K Panthers for them to be updated to this new variant, and the older variant is looking like it will be extinct by the early 3080's. So far the response from the mechwarriors assigned to the new Panthers has been overwhelmingly positive.

The success of this design, and it's clantech half sibling (see variants) has helped both companies to finally bury the hatchet over their previous issues and start working together instead of against each other.

Known Variants
Although strictly speaking not a variant, Chadran Arms developed a very similar design for the Nova Cats.

Called the Alley Cat officially but sometimes called the Panther IIC this variant uses a clantech er ppc and a atm missile launcher, but otherwise is virtually identical to it's half sibling.

Technology Base: Inner Sphere 35 tons
Chassis Config: Biped Cost: 3.330.360 C-Bills
BV2: 968 Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 2.0
Internal Locations: 1 CT, 4 RT, 7 LA, 2 RA
Engine: 175 Fusion Engine 7.0
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL 2.5
Heat Sinks: 10 (20) - Double (7 in engine) 0.0
Heat Sink Locations: 3 LT, 3 RT, 3 RA
Gyro: Standard 2.0
Cockpit: Standard 3.0
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: 118 points - Light Ferro-Fibrous 7.0
Armor Locations: 2 LT, 3 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA
CASE Locations: 1 LT 0.5

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 11 16
Center Torso (rear): 5
R/L Torso: 8 12
R/L Torso (rear): 4
R/L Arm: 6 12
R/L Leg: 8 16

Weapons and Ammo Location Criticals Tonnage
C3 Computer (Slave) HD 1 1.0
MML-5 LT 3 3.0
ER Large Laser RA 2 5.0
@MML-5 (LRM) (24) LT 1 1.0
@MML-5 (SRM) (20) LT 1 1.0

As always opinions are appreciated.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/11/09 09:20 PM

The only thing that I really don't like is the LFF armor. Its hard enough to find FF armor to repair battle damage but LFF. Don't hold your breath in finding any.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
05/11/09 09:50 PM

Quote:

The only thing that I really don't like is the LFF armor. Its hard enough to find FF armor to repair battle damage but LFF. Don't hold your breath in finding any.

Not in the least. Making Ferro Fibrous requires little in the way of additives, and light ferro fibrous only modifies that level.

EDIT:
Forgot to talk about the 'mech; obviously, it fulfills a wonderful place in the DCMS military- it ain't fast or flashy, but it can hit at any range, and rather heavily for it's size.

Edited by Prince_of_Darkness (05/11/09 10:08 PM)
CrayModerator
05/11/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not in the least. Making Ferro Fibrous requires little in the way of additives, and light ferro fibrous only modifies that level.

Well...I'd say you're both correct. If a mill can produce ferro-fibrous, it can produce light ferro-fibrous more easily because of the lower percentage of reinforcing diamond fibers. On the other hand, LFF is a less common item in maintenance warehouses and battlefield salvage - it simply isn't used widely. You might as well graduate to full ferro-fibrous.

Quote:

Forgot to talk about the 'mech; obviously, it fulfills a wonderful place in the DCMS military- it ain't fast or flashy, but it can hit at any range, and rather heavily for it's size.

The 'mech itself is a solid design.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lafeel
05/12/09 12:40 AM

Don't have the crit slots for normal ff so that is out of the question sadly (it has a grand total of three left as things stand) so any armor change would have to be a downgrade to standard armor.

I don't know, I rather like the fact it uses lff, it adds that little bit of extra character, and does improve the protection considerably.

As for the last point, thanks.:D
KitK
05/12/09 04:30 PM

Looks like the 16K has LFF, the C has a C3 slave and the 12A has an ER large laser. So toss the Panthers in a blender and you get the 15K. This must the first one to go faster though?

I like it. I think it would be a dangerous upgrade with a sleek new look thanks to the LFF and MML. The ER large just seems more elegant than the big clumsy PPC.
05/12/09 04:58 PM

Kitk I disagree with you about the ERLL over the PPC. They have about the same range. The PPC has a lower heat build up and does more damage.

The only thing the make the ERLL better than the PPC is in weight. Everything else says the PPC is better
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
05/12/09 04:59 PM

Master Arimas's Royal Panther was the first one to move 5/8/5 which, I'll freely admit, makes it the inspiration for this design. 4/6/4 is just too slow for a light mech in the 70's, even if it is intended to be a support mech.
Lafeel
05/12/09 05:05 PM

Quote:

Kitk I disagree with you about the ERLL over the PPC. They have about the same range. The PPC has a lower heat build up and does more damage.

The only thing the make the ERLL better than the PPC is in weight. Everything else says the PPC is better

You forget the ERLL also causes three points less of heat, but I will be the first to admit that downgrading the PPC to a laser was the hardest choice I had to make.

You can't really argue that the gain (the second ton of mml ammo and the C3 slave) wasn't worth it though.
05/12/09 05:14 PM

Quote:

You forget the ERLL also causes three points less of heat, but I will be the first to admit that downgrading the PPC to a laser was the hardest choice I had to make.

You can't really argue that the gain (the second ton of mml ammo and the C3 slave) wasn't worth it though.

??? three points less of heat? The ERLL generates 12 heat where the PPC does 10.

As for the MML 5 I have no idea what that is.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
05/12/09 05:16 PM

Oh I thought you meant the ERPPC but ok I'll give you that much.

Basically a MML, or multiple missile launcher, is a launcher that can fire as either a lrm launcher or a srm launcher. Starting to guess why I picked it instead of a srm rack now?
05/12/09 05:59 PM

I went back and checked to make sure that no one said ERPPC. I was not in error no one said ERPPC.

Since you brought up the ERPPC I hate the IS ERPPC. I don't see the heat build up worth the range and damage. As for the Clan with the increase in damage its well worth the heat.

Since there are MML's why would anyone have a LRM ot SRM on a mech or vehicle? You will save weight space and cost.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
05/12/09 06:02 PM

Because it is a recent innovation, Battle Magic only developed it in the late 60's-early 70's, and the great houses can be a bit slow in adopting new innovations wholesale.

As for my assumption that you were referring to a er ppc it was as this is a redo of the original 3050 upgrade (PNT-10K) using more modern materials..

Edited by Lafeel (05/12/09 06:06 PM)
05/12/09 06:36 PM

What are the stats for the MMLs

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
05/12/09 07:41 PM

Remember tho that most PNT-10K Pilots started asking for older PPCs because they didn't like the heat.....

The DCMS ended up using them on an assault mech instead....

So really by the 3070s most PNT-10Ks should be using the IS standard PPC anyway.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Lafeel
05/12/09 09:19 PM

I did remember that, Zandel, which is why designs like the Akuma, the No Dachi, the Naginata and the Damyo (just the name a few) got them instead.

It really isn't that big a stretch to have it replaced with a large laser, and the fact there is a canon version equipped with it was the final justification that I needed.

As for your question, Donkey, I don't think it'd be a good idea to post them on here, but how about I instead offer you this compromise http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com if you download this program it has all the info on them when it comes to mounting them on a design and rules wise they just work like any other guided missile launcher, just with some odd number of tubes (3-5-7-9)
Zandel_Corrin
05/12/09 10:06 PM

Question.... is anyone else having issues with no text wrapping now? Lafeels last post and this one i'm now typing seem to strech across the screen something shocking.... I know this is OOC for this topic but didn't know where else to ask.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
05/12/09 10:26 PM

Quote:

Since you brought up the ERPPC I hate the IS ERPPC. I don't see the heat build up worth the range and damage.

The ER PPC grew on me as I looked at it in combination with standard medium lasers. PPCs have that annoying minimum range and a "mere" 18-hex long range, which is starting to become inadequate in the face of Clan weapons and modern IS firepower. But ER PPCs bypass those shortcomings, matching virtually anything the Clans have while avoiding minimum range problems.

My most fun is usually had with a pair of ER PPCs, 6 to 10 medium lasers, and 15-16 DHS. You've got lots of options there: 2 ER PPCs, or 1 ER PPC for a solid hole-punching shot at low TNs combined with 3-5 medium lasers, or a salvo of 6 to 10 MLs.

Quote:

Since there are MML's why would anyone have a LRM ot SRM on a mech or vehicle? You will save weight space and cost.

MMLs are heavier than LRMs or SRMs alone. MMLs are useful for when you want both options at slightly less weight than separate LRM and SRM launchers, but MMLs are heavier than an LRM or SRM optimized design. For example, you'd never replicate an Archer's LRM broadside on the same tonnage of MMLs, and an MML-equipped Javelin would lose some SRM punch. You trade firepower for flexibility.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lafeel
05/12/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

Question.... is anyone else having issues with no text wrapping now? Lafeels last post and this one i'm now typing seem to strech across the screen something shocking.... I know this is OOC for this topic but didn't know where else to ask.

It's the top post. For some reason the code tag caused the fluff text to spread out like that, and sadly there isn't much at all I can do about it.

Edited by Lafeel (05/12/09 11:11 PM)
Prince_of_Darkness
05/13/09 10:46 PM

Quote:

The ER PPC grew on me as I looked at it in combination with standard medium lasers. PPCs have that annoying minimum range and a "mere" 18-hex long range, which is starting to become inadequate in the face of Clan weapons and modern IS firepower. But ER PPCs bypass those shortcomings, matching virtually anything the Clans have while avoiding minimum range problems.

My most fun is usually had with a pair of ER PPCs, 6 to 10 medium lasers, and 15-16 DHS. You've got lots of options there: 2 ER PPCs, or 1 ER PPC for a solid hole-punching shot at low TNs combined with 3-5 medium lasers, or a salvo of 6 to 10 MLs.

God Cray, you described my personal 'mech at it's core right there.
GiovanniBlasini
05/14/09 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's damn near the BLR-1Gb Royal BattleMaster from Tech Readout 3075, too - that runs with 2 ER PPCs, 4 MLs and an LPL, with 17 DHS. Very, very vicious BattleMech.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
CrayModerator
05/14/09 08:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's damn near the BLR-1Gb Royal BattleMaster from Tech Readout 3075, too - that runs with 2 ER PPCs, 4 MLs and an LPL, with 17 DHS. Very, very vicious BattleMech.

It was the basis for my long-running 75-ton "Trooper" custom that I almost got into print as the Warlord in TR:3075, but it was bumped to 80 tons at the last minute and, by that time, HPPCs had come on the scene. And I like HPPCs, despite them having the same range deficiencies as a classic PPC.

GiovanniBlasini
05/14/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was the basis for my long-running 75-ton "Trooper" custom that I almost got into print as the Warlord in TR:3075, but it was bumped to 80 tons at the last minute and, by that time, HPPCs had come on the scene. And I like HPPCs, despite them having the same range deficiencies as a classic PPC.

I suspect part of that might be why I like the binary laser, despite its drawbacks - what's not to love about an energy-based headcapper?
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
05/14/09 04:15 PM

Quote:

It was the basis for my long-running 75-ton "Trooper" custom that I almost got into print as the Warlord in TR:3075

What weapons does your Trooper have? I am wondering if its like my Blazer.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
05/14/09 08:33 PM

Hard not to love the Warlord though, I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, but for me it was love at first sight.
CrayModerator
05/14/09 09:11 PM

Quote:

What weapons does your Trooper have? I am wondering if its like my Blazer.

Basically...

75 tons, endosteel, standard engine for 4/6/3 movement, 17 DHS, 14.5 tons of standard armor, 2 ER PPCs, 6 MLs, Guardian ECM suite. The firing options are twin ER PPCs or 1 ER PPC and 6 MLs, which is sustainable almost indefinitely on 34 heat capacity and careful movement.

Bob_Richter
06/13/09 05:28 PM

Not a fan of Large Laser Panthers.

Something about "downgrading" that signature feature kinda bugs me. The MML is an interesting choice, though.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Lafeel
06/13/09 06:07 PM

Quote:

Not a fan of Large Laser Panthers.

Something about "downgrading" that signature feature kinda bugs me. The MML is an interesting choice, though.

Belive me when I tell you it was not a easy choice, it nearly ended up as armed with a s-nppc instead, but I decided that the second ton of mml ammo would have been a better choice, for better or worse.

Haven't tested this design in the game, but if I can find another player to test it against, I will.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11645

Contact Admins Sarna.net