MRM Mechs

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/18/09 09:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Has anyone other than me ever designed a mech that its main weapon system was MRMs?

I took a Archer and replaced the 2 LRM 20s with 6 MRM 10s with 6 tons of ammo. In game play I don't think it would do well at all. But in a story I think it would work out better. The idea behind the mech is saturation bombing and Collateral damage, like attacking ammo dumps, denying cover like buildings and woods to enemy forces, LZs so on and so forth. Also if you see 60 missiles flying at your mech you might be thinking that you would like to be somewhere else. The tactic that I thought of, going on the open radio and making the enemy think that the missiles that I just missed there mech with was not a missed shot but I just laid down a whole lot of mind fields. Makes great fluff but in game terms its useless.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
05/18/09 01:42 PM

Yes, you can (and I have) built 'mechs around the MRM delivery system, despite it's heavy disadvantages based from the launcher. 'Mech like the Urbanmech, which are ammo-based and meant to get close, direct range succeed from their use despite their inaccuracy.

'Mechs like the Archer, however, cannot use them effectively aside from one-off refits, since MRMs are direct-fire weapons.
Lafeel
05/18/09 02:35 PM

Not as primary weapons no, but I have used them when I need a low cost damage spread boost on a design, like with the Ashigaru.
05/18/09 04:51 PM

Quote:

'Mechs like the Archer, however, cannot use them effectively aside from one-off refits, since MRMs are direct-fire weapons.

Humm does that mean that you can use a targeting computer to increase there accuracy? With all of the new rules with the TC I don't know what direct-fire weapons can and can not use the CT. It was a lot easier when it was any and all direct-fire weapons.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
05/18/09 05:22 PM

I designed a 40-tonner that carted around a MRM-40 (IIRC). I'll have to dig it up and repost it.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Prince_of_Darkness
05/18/09 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Humm does that mean that you can use a targeting computer to increase there accuracy? With all of the new rules with the TC I don't know what direct-fire weapons can and can not use the CT. It was a lot easier when it was any and all direct-fire weapons.

Nope. MRM fire like a direct-fire weapon because they lack the targeting and guidance systems to control the missiles themselves. Targeting Computers need one single shot, like a laser or autocannon, which leaves out the stream of dead-fire warheads the MRM pumps out.

However, if you wanted to go experimental tech and don't mind the -1 on the cluster tables, you could attach the Apollo FCS, which will rid a launcher of that +1 to hit*.

*Still won't take care of their inability to direct-fire, tho.
05/18/09 08:33 PM

Quote:

I designed a 40-tonner that carted around a MRM-40 (IIRC). I'll have to dig it up and repost it.

I dont have the stats for the MRM but what I remember I only likes the 10 and 40 but I am not sure

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
05/19/09 01:07 AM

Try this on for size...one I posted quite a while back
--Thomas Jefferson
Prince_of_Darkness
05/19/09 08:54 AM

It ain't no 40-tonner
KamikazeJohnson
05/19/09 10:45 AM

lol...no, couldn't find that one, but I found this one while I was looking
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6322

Contact Admins Sarna.net