Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
ER Large laser LA 2 5
3 MRM-10 LT 6 6
3 MRM-10 ammo LT 3 3
3 MRM-10 RT 6 6
3 MRM-10 ammo 3 3

Cost CBills 13,830,407

Overview

Assinine Industries completely rebuilt an Archer from the ground up. The idea behind the Archer 6MR-10 was a mech that could harass a strong point on a raiding party, be that a LZ, ammo dump, or captured town. One of the advantages of MRMs is the cheapness of ammo. The Archer 6MR-10 is with fully loaded ammo bins the cost as much as one ton of LRM ammo, also it can keep firing long after other ammo weapon systems have used up there ammo.

Of all of the mechs that Assinine Industries rebuilt for planetary defense, this one mech was the only machine that was seriously considered to go with a non EL engine. The power plant that was considered was a fusion 280 and the mech would have half a ton of armor. The 280 would have saved 35% of the cost of the mech. But in the end it was decided that the faster movement was worth the extra cost.

Its biggest advantage is its large amount of rockets that it can fire down range. It was always meant to be more of a terror weapon than a anti-mech weapon platform, thou at short range it can do a great amount of damage with its six medium range missal launchers. Its pilot does a great job with his use of a unsecured rodeo broadcasts making the enemy think that he has LRMs and not MRMs. One tactic is he would fire a salvo of missiles at long range hitting the ground and than broadcast that he just mined the battlefield daring the enemy to inter his imaginary minefield. Another is firing his missiles at enemy mechs that are out of range of the launcher making the enemy warriors trying to close in to get under his minimum range of what they would think is LRMs and then he would let lose with all six MRMs doing great amounts of damage to the enemies mech. Another tactic would be firing the MRMs far out of range hitting very large targets like LZs and such where the idea is not to hit any defined target but to keep the enemy from being able to get any work done because of having to take cover from the bombing.

Because of the cheapness of ammo he has never been restricted with practicing his MRM weapon fire. He has became so skilled with the MRMs that a lot of non elite warriors would be fooled into believing that he had LRMs and not MRMs.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
06/15/09 08:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For a fire support 'Mech the XL isn't too much of a liability and gives , though it undermines the cost savings of the MRMs (you could buy a lot of LRMs by switching to a 280 SFE). Which isn't a problem if procurement and operations have separate budgets. Live fire training with LRMs is damned expensive - each ton is more than a MechWarrior's annual salary.

Overall, it strikes me as an interesting niche 'Mech. It's mobile like the Bombardier, though it's a short ranged assault unit. An LRM variant would be useful.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/15/09 10:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Oops there was an error in my posting the cost of the 280 engine verdant. The cost of the 280 mech would be 35.7% of the 350 mech, not a 35.7% cost savings.

Cray to answer you. The entire planet only has a reinforced company of battle mechs in the defense force. The rest of the defense force consists of seven army units of conventional units.

Each army consists of four regiments.
Each regiment has four battalions
Each battalion has four companies and or wings for VTALs
Each company has four lances, each wing has four Squadrons.
Each lance or Squadron has six individual units.

That adds up to over ten thousand units.

Thou each unit costs less than half a million C-Bills the total cost of the seven armies is about five billion C-Bills. Of course since Assinine Industries builds all of the weapons in house the true cost was a great deal less.

As for manning the tanks and VTOLs. There is mandatory military service of the entire adult population of the planet. Thou that makes a great defense from attacks from the outside the rulers aka me have to make sure that the population is kept happy so there will not be an uprising.

Of the seven armies only one dose not have a rotation of "weekend warrior" troops. The armies that have rotation troops all company commanders and up are career solders and don't rotate. Four of the armies which include the one permanent army and the reinforced company of battlemechs are kept in the capital province. The other three armies are spread all over the planet defending mines and the cities that support the mining operations. All factories that are owned by Assinine Industries are all in the capital province so there well protected from attack. To keep the cost of operating of the military down the "weekend warriors" are not paid unless there called up to defend the planet from attack. There training and service in the military is not paid but is a requirement of citizenship. Citizenship is not required to be a permanent resident, but to be able to vote or to hold public office requires citizenship. To hold a public office posting above city mayor requires being a retired military officer of at least company level. The reasoning given to the population for the military service requirement, is that people that have served in the military have learned the discipline required to serve the people in political office.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4329

Contact Admins Sarna.net