Weapons velocitys per the novels?

Pages: 1
Nebfer
07/04/09 02:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I tryed asking this over at the B-tech forums but was largely stone walled...

The game it self hints that weapons with speeds along the lines of hypersonic, some of the TROs also mention this, a few mention supersonic (like the mach 2.2 gauss rifle in TRO 3058). Some of the Dark age books mention hypersonic (if they do at all).

However a lot of the guys who I encounter that do "what if" type questions primarly use the books (perticurly the pre dark age series) and to them weapons velocitys are "slow" and ranges super short.

Leaving me wondering what do these books say about weapons velocity?
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/04/09 06:03 PM

Weapons are not the only thing they can't get right. Have you knottiest that in some of the novels jump ships go into planetary orbit and drop ships only go from orbit to the planets surface. I don't think that the ones that got it wrong wrote more than one Battletech novel.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/04/09 11:22 PM

Quote:

Weapons are not the only thing they can't get right.

Do you have a hard novels' citation of weapons velocity?

Quote:

Have you knottiest that in some of the novels jump ships go into planetary orbit and drop ships only go from orbit to the planets surface.

Sure. JumpShips have fusion rockets, too, especially WarShips. And before c2500AD, DropShips were only orbit-to-surface.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
07/05/09 09:18 AM

What I was pointing out was that some of the authors and editors did not do there homework completely before finishing there book.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/05/09 08:17 PM

Quote:

What I was pointing out was that some of the authors and editors did not do there homework completely before finishing there book.

True enough, I can name a couple right off the bat.

But you forgot that sometimes the jumpships do it for convincing tactical reasons (like that js that Hohiro and Shin Yodama escaped on, it was hiding in Turtle Bay's rings, thus evading detection by the Jags)
Nebfer
07/05/09 09:14 PM

Well noting that some writers do not do all that great on homework is nice but dose not realy answer the question at hand.

In any event a jumpship can make the trip from earth to mars in 12.5 days.
CrayModerator
07/06/09 08:30 AM

Nebfer, I think the answer to your question here is, "No, no one here has a specific low velocity reference in an old novel."

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
07/06/09 12:54 PM

Quote:

I assume you meant from Earths orbit to Mars' orbit. True travel time depends on where the two planets are in there orbit compared to each other.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/06/09 03:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I assume you meant from Earths orbit to Mars' orbit. True travel time depends on where the two planets are in there orbit compared to each other.

To continue the thread jacking...

Yep. At closest approach (0.5AU), the transit time would be 9.06 days with a JumpShip's 0.1G thrust. At 1AU, transit time would be 12.8 days. At furthest opposition (3AU, including a jog away from the sun), transit time would be 22.2 days. Divide those transit times by 3.16 for a DropShip making a 1G transit.

07/06/09 06:00 PM

I am a Jackass, so I guess thread Jack-ing should be expected.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6244

Contact Admins Sarna.net