What would you field?

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/30/09 11:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If you where a clan star commander and had the choice of any five Omnimechs but knew nothing about who or where you where fighting. What mechs would you fill out your star with and what weapons systems would you arm your Omnimechs with?

Here are my choices

Three Timber Wolfs all with

4 Jump Jets
2 ERPPCs
6 MPLs

The other two would be Vipers but I am not sure what I would want to arm them with

A)
8 Jump Jets
1 AMS
1 ton AMS ammo
ERPPC
SPL

B)
8 Jump Jets
4 MPLs
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
adamwehn
05/31/09 12:45 AM

I would go with 5 Timber Wolfs, of varying loadouts. They're a quite versatile Omni.
05/31/09 12:31 PM

That I would have to agree with. But the Timber wolf is limited in speed. That is why I went with the Vipers. When you want speed 8-12-8 is hard to beat.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Flameblade
05/31/09 02:55 PM

5 Dire Wolfs.

20 DHS
8 MPL
3 ERLRL
2 LPL
1 AMS w 2 tons ammo
ECM
AP

Hmmm put that together in like 2 minutes. Probably things alot better. Thats for an assualt type of attack. I will put together some 2nd line Ghost Bear star that I like later.
CrayModerator
05/31/09 03:24 PM

5/8/4 will get you just about anywhere you need to be in almost adequate time, and 5/8/4 on a 75-ton 'Mech will let you survive the transit far better than an 8/12/8 paper target.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lafeel
05/31/09 04:54 PM

Hm probably a pair of T-wolves (Prime), a pair of my Winter Wolves (again Prime) and a Ice Ferret.
06/01/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

5 Dire Wolfs.

20 DHS
8 MPL
3 ERLRL
2 LPL
1 AMS w 2 tons ammo
ECM
AP

Hmmm put that together in like 2 minutes. Probably things alot better. Thats for an assualt type of attack. I will put together some 2nd line Ghost Bear star that I like later.

That's some nice firepower. But you are also quite slow. If your in restricted areas like cities or such you can be hurt from back attacks.

What is a ERLRL?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
06/01/09 03:03 AM

Extended range large lasers, one would assume.
06/01/09 09:31 AM

There are so many new weapons that I still don't know about, I was guessing that it was something new and not an old weapon that was abbreviated differently.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
06/01/09 10:52 AM

Quote:

5 Dire Wolfs.

20 DHS
8 MPL
3 ERLRL
2 LPL
1 AMS w 2 tons ammo
ECM
AP

I just went over your crits. I don't have the stats for the Dire Wolf but I know you don't have 54 crits available.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Flameblade
06/01/09 02:51 PM

Several of the DHS are built into the engine. This wasnt just using pods space. I have 50.5 tons

I used Battle Mech designer to throw it together. It wold me everything fit. However, computer programs lie sometimes. I know the Dire Wolf has something like 15 DHS standard so 5 DHS would be used on pod space.
KitK
06/01/09 04:11 PM

Well now, I've spent the last year, Battletech-wise, getting a feel for level 1 mechs. And the Clan mechs I am most familier with are my own versions. So, if you ask me again in a month I might come up with a different answer. But for now...

Warhawk C
Stormcrow A
Stormcrow C
Viper B
Viper B

I suppose, given and unknown situation, I should have jump jets all around for maximum flexibility. But as a compromise I am keeping the speed up, as even the Warhawk is "fast for its class." Everything is pretty heat efficient and not overly ammo dependent. Mostly the loadouts are for heavy hits, but there are enough crit finding weapons (LBX, SPL, LRM20) to keep it a viable strategy. Lots of long-range stuff that works just as well at short range too, because going into an unknown situation it might be good to keep one's distance. As a star I think they could work well together. I am not sure they are all the best choices if the conflict ended up being settled in an honor dual.

KK
06/01/09 05:09 PM

Quote:

Several of the DHS are built into the engine. This wasnt just using pods space. I have 50.5 tons

I used Battle Mech designer to throw it together. It wold me everything fit. However, computer programs lie sometimes. I know the Dire Wolf has something like 15 DHS standard so 5 DHS would be used on pod space.

I accounted for the 12 engine DHS. 300/25 = 12

I was in error. I checked the Dire Wolf and it has standard armor and IS. I assumed that it had FF armor and ES IS and added the crits for that.

If I could remake the Dire wolf, I would give it ES IS and take the extra 5 tons at the cost of the 7 crits. I would keep the standard armor, the 3 tons are not worth the 7 crits.

I just checked your weight and you're WAY over.

# item weight
5 DHS 5
8 MPLs 16
3 ERLLs 12
2 LPL 12
1 AMS .5
2 AMS ammo 2
1 EMC 6
1 AP 5
total 58.5 tons

your over weight by 8 tons.

What I would do is ditch the EMC and AP and one ton of AMS ammo. I would add two MPLs. But that's me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Flameblade
06/01/09 10:21 PM

I think you are counting the ECM's and AP range as thier weight. They both only weigh 1 ton each.
Tripod
06/01/09 11:34 PM

1 ton underweight....
TBA
06/02/09 01:53 AM

Quote:

I think you are counting the ECM's and AP range as thier weight. They both only weigh 1 ton each.

Oops, your right.

It is one ton under weight

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
06/02/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oops, your right.

It is one ton under weight

Yeah, just as a friendly word of advice Donkey, check any allegation or statement against you make about something. Believe me- it's too easy to mess up on a small detail and screw up an entire argument or point.
06/02/09 10:18 AM

Quote:

Yeah, just as a friendly word of advice Donkey, check any allegation or statement against you make about something. Believe me- it's too easy to mess up on a small detail and screw up an entire argument or point.

True.

Also admit it when you are wrong.

If I was ever wrong, I would be willing to admit it. Its just a good thing that I am never wrong. =p

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
LAMdriver
06/16/09 11:28 PM

Hmmm good question. This is what I would go with:

Timber Wolf (prime) as Command and Control/ indirect fire-support
Dire Wolf (hell if i know) as a bodyguard/ direct fire support
Mad Dog (prime) indirect/direct fire support
Shadow Cat (prime) recon/flanker
Dasher (don't know but TAG equipped)

I did this off the top of my head and if it works it works. I have not tried it but I think that it would work out well.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Onisuzume
06/23/09 11:55 AM

I'd go with 5 Nova Primes, Alt E and/or Alt. S.
Why?
Because I like Novas.
The darkness within me... no... my self within the dark...
Bob_Richter
06/23/09 07:44 PM

Quote:

Because I like Novas.

Why?
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Lafeel
06/23/09 07:53 PM

I'd have to wonder the same thing, the Nova is not the most spectacular, or the most multi role, omni around (even in canon)
06/23/09 08:02 PM

Quote:

I'd go with 5 Nova Primes, Alt E and/or Alt. S.
Why?
Because I like Novas.

I don't find the Nova that good of a mech, though I do agree that the Alt E & S are good choices for that mech.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Venom
06/26/09 11:09 PM

With 50.5 tons already you run out of crits before you run out of tons usualy.
Onisuzume
07/07/09 10:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Because I like Novas.

Why?

Quote:

I'd have to wonder the same thing, the Nova is not the most spectacular, or the most multi role, omni around (even in canon)

Quote:

I don't find the Nova that good of a mech, though I do agree that the Alt E & S are good choices for that mech.

The looks? xD
Its a pity that they're no longer in production.

And sorry, I meant Alt A, not Alt E.
The darkness within me... no... my self within the dark...
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10469

Contact Admins Sarna.net