off the wall questions

Pages: 1
LAMdriver
07/10/09 05:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A couple of things running through my mind at 0500 hours after being up for 24 hours.

1. I don't know if would make the game more Robotech/Gundum-ish, but I remember someone talking about "rifles " in another post and wonder if such a thing is possible? For example, some Mech designs look like they have some sort of gun or pistol in the art work (mainly the Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Battlemaster, Vixen (inubus), and Goshhawk).

2. Is there a way to incorperate modern stealth materials into building a Mech? Radar absorbate paint and the like?

Damn, I need to sleep!!
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Drasnighta
07/11/09 03:56 PM

1. Maximum Tech had the rules for hand-held rifles. Not sure what the go is these days with it thought.

2. I think its pretty much assumed that those sorts of technologis are either already incorporated and proven useless, or no longer incorporated because they are defunct. A standard battlemech sensor suite utilises so many detection methods, that only a completely integrated stealth system (such as a null-signature system) even comes close to hiding a BattleMech.

And of course, everyone is very open to slam me for my readings of how things seem to work in the fluff that I've read - I'm no canon authority after all... Just trying my best
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
CrayModerator
07/11/09 05:25 PM

Quote:

A couple of things running through my mind at 0500 hours after being up for 24 hours.

1. I don't know if would make the game more Robotech/Gundum-ish, but I remember someone talking about "rifles " in another post and wonder if such a thing is possible? For example, some Mech designs look like they have some sort of gun or pistol in the art work (mainly the Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Battlemaster, Vixen (inubus), and Goshhawk).

Yes, they're addressed in MaxTech and Tactical Operations (p315, Handheld Weapons). However, they suck. They're separate items from the Mech's structure, and suffer the following problems:

Quote:

Only a heavy (vehicular-class) weapon may be constructed as a Handheld Weapon; no items described as “Other Equipment” on the weapon tables (except for Artemis and TAG systems) may be incorporated into a Handheld Weapon design. The total weight of a Handheld Weapon equals the weight of the weapon(s) placed in the handheld mount, plus the number of any standard (single) heat sinks required to fire the weapon(s) at full capacity and the weight of any ammunition required. Ammunition for Handheld Weapons may be added on a per-shot basis, with each shot’s weight in tons determined by dividing 1 by the number of shots the weapon normally carries per ton (round the total number of shots assigned to the weapon up to the nearest half ton). Note that Handheld Weapons only require heat sinks for energy-based weapon(s); ballistic and missile weapons require no heat sinks to fire when placed in a Handheld Weapon mount. A Handheld Weapon may also add armor to its construction, at a cost of 1 ton for every 16 points of armor protection (Handheld Weapons may use only Standard Armor).

When constructing a unit, no tonnage or critical space is required to mount a Handheld Weapon, as the weapon is considered self-contained and separate. However, if a unit is intended to carry Handheld Weapons, it must incorporate two full sets of arm actuators, including hand actuators.

Further, the handheld weapon is limited to the Mech's carrying capacity: 10% of its weight, or 20% if it has myomers. The fact that the handheld weapon is so isolated from all the Mech's systems means it usually stinks.

It's far, far easier to designate an "integral" weapon to be an easily detached rifle (see TR:3025 BattleMaster text) than to actually build a "rifle."

Quote:

2. Is there a way to incorperate modern stealth materials into building a Mech? Radar absorbate paint and the like?

You mean like Stealth Armor, Chameleon Light Polarization System, or Mimetic Armor? (See Tactical Operations, MaxTech, Tactical Handbook, or Field Manual: Capellan Confederation.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/11/09 07:15 PM

The only time I thought of putting a hand held weapon on a mech was a LRM on a mech that had no long range weapons. Like say a LRM5 on a spider. It would keep at long range until the LRM5 was out of ammo. then close in and use its Med lasers.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/11/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

The only time I thought of putting a hand held weapon on a mech was a LRM on a mech that had no long range weapons. Like say a LRM5 on a spider. It would keep at long range until the LRM5 was out of ammo. then close in and use its Med lasers.

Yep. That's about the one good application for hand held units: disposable firepower. You open a battle with some LRMs (good for laying down a minefield, smoke, or just some extra firepower) and then switch to your regular weapons.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
07/12/09 01:46 AM

Adding a couple MG's on an otherwise infantry vulnerable design is a good option... or inferno's to really tick off you buddies. I dont see how this option cannot be usefull? How can adding 10% to your weapon capacity not be usefull?
TBA
07/12/09 02:15 PM

I believe that because both arms are used to hold the hand held weapon you cant use any weapons that are mounted inside either arm. I don't recall if that was a house rule or one that was part of the official rules. I am quite sure that if it was a house rule that Cray will correct me.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
07/12/09 02:25 PM

Quote:

I believe that because both arms are used to hold the hand held weapon you cant use any weapons that are mounted inside either arm. I don't recall if that was a house rule or one that was part of the official rules. I am quite sure that if it was a house rule that Cray will correct me.

You can have a hand-held weapon in both hands, but it always has to weigh under that set limit above; for example, an Atlas can have two 5 ton hand held guns in each hand, or one 10 ton gun in one arm.
07/12/09 02:51 PM

As I recall no matter how light the weapon is you have to use both hands. There was no rule that said that you could hold 1/20 of the mechs weight in a hand held weapon. If that was the case you would not have to have hatchets as part of the mech.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/12/09 04:21 PM

Yes, Tactical Operations says both hands are involved in any handheld weapon. So, two handhelds are out.

If you want truly quick-change handheld weapons without the headaches, make an omnimech.

GiovanniBlasini
07/13/09 09:00 AM

Practical application of 'Mech rifles: turning Utility Mechs into impromptu combat units.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 200 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6502

Contact Admins Sarna.net