Tanite Worlds?

Pages: 1
Venom
07/25/09 05:25 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay, the whole idea of the Tanite worlds never quite sat right with me. You have a set of Star League colonies only five light years off the Exodus Road and 50 light years closer to the IS. According to canon, Kerensky had ships searching for suitable systems for colonization so that the Exodus could end. Furthermore Kerensky had six million SL troops and support personel as well as their families AND likely the most complete set of SL records including navigation charts. You can not tell me that after so long in orbital trashcans nobody thought to either check the starcharts or speak up about a SL colony in the area that they sent toiletpaper to while in the SL Procurement Office.

The only explaination that I can come up with is that the Tanite colonies did not exist in the SL area.

Now I know you all think that I am seeing Wolverines lurking in every shadow but... We know that they made it back to raid the Combine. If they were actualy tracked down by ComStar and sheltered on five lost worlds is of little consequence. It could have been them or...

Lets just say that a few origional Clanners were a little less than happy with how their new lives were turning out or were a little PO'ed at Nicky's heavy-handed approach to the Wolvies. Hell, it could have been operatives from House intel agencies that managed to get tickets aboard the Exodus Express, don't matter. But let us postulate that at some point a Jumpship decided to make a run for the IS to inform them of the situation. Finding the IS consumed by war they tell the only seemingly decent orgainzation they can find:ComStar. CS gathers what SL tech they can find to make a SL colony seem plausible and waits to be found. Meanwhile the Clan that sent the Jumpship "discovers" the colony and uses it as a secret base for plotting all manner of future nastiness.

Lots of speculation here, but with 20/20 hindsight it is pretty hard to swallow that nobody tried to come back from the Exodus or the opressive Clan culture. That pill was pretty easy to swallow before the introduction of the Clans; when we all thought that Kerensky's followers escaped to live in utopia and had icecream for every meal.

I know it leaves alot of unaswered questions, but hey this is a free internet post, not a $25 "sourcebook" that raises 100 times more questions than it answers.

Edited by Venom (07/25/09 03:03 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/25/09 08:39 AM

You do know that you can play the game with the basic boxed set and not care in the least any of the history that people have written.

Heck you can learn enough off of the web about the rules for game and spend nothing at all and steel play the game.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/25/09 10:25 AM

Quote:

Okay, the whole idea of the Tanite worlds never quite sat right with me. You have a set of Star League colonies only five light years off the Exodus Road and 50 light years closer to the IS. According to canon, Kerensky had ships searching for suitable systems for colonization so that the Exodus could end. Furthermore Kerensky had six million SL troops and support personel as well as their families AND likely the most complete set of SL records including navigation charts. You can not tell me that after so long in orbital trashcans nobody thought to either check the starcharts or speak up about a SL colony in the area that they sent toiletpaper to while in the SL Procurement Office.

...or the Tanites never bothered to inform the Star League they were running off into the Deep Periphery based on maps they bought on the open market. I mean, Deep Periphery colonies are usually founded by folks not interested in dealing with Inner Sphere civilization.

Kind of reminds me of the story about the guy in the 1930s who swore up and down a new world war was coming, the world was going to end, etc., so he ups and moves to an isolate Pacific island where he can live a peaceful, idyllic life: Tarawa. The Tanites run off into deep space to avoid the Inner Sphere, find a nearly hidden patch of worlds, and the SLDF uses their same logic to settle in the same vicinity.

The Tanite Worlds get a treatment in ISP2:Jihad Conspiracies, but it doesn't explain much about them other than to present several differing tabloid-grade theories.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Venom
07/25/09 02:01 PM

I could do that but then it would just be a board game. The millions of words that have been written about the Battletech universe-by some of the best sci-fi writers-are what set it apart from other games. In fact I belive that the BT universe has set the bar for other game systems.

Besides if I didn't bother to read the books then I would have no reason to be here discussing the canon material. Unless I just wanted to make snarky comments on topics I knew absolutely nothing about or make outlandish statments about stasis in naval combat for instance...
Venom
07/25/09 02:08 PM

I was under the impression that the Tanites were a Star League colony...but you are right canon says SL-era.

It is still fishy that the worlds were not discovered by the Exodus fleet. The way I understood it they had ships fanned out looking for suitable systems. Four light years-as opposed to five-seems a rather narrow search corridor.

I notice that you do not dismiss out of hand-or even acknowledge-the possiblity of a rogue run to the IS.

Edited by Venom (07/25/09 07:08 PM)
CrayModerator
07/25/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

It is still fishy that the worlds were not discovered by the Exodus fleet. The way I understood it they had ships fanned out looking for suitable systems. Four light years-as opposed to five-seems a rather narrow search corridor.

It was a journey over 1500 light-years long and at least partially supported by existing charts. They might've looked for new, undiscovered systems early on and finally given up in a final sprint for the distant, pre-mapped Pentagon worlds. In that final rush - remember the pressure of the Prince Eugen revolt? - there wouldn't have been much exploration of the area near the Pentagon worlds.

Quote:

I notice that you do not dismiss out of hand-or even acknowledge-the possiblity of a rouge run to the IS.

Red run to the IS?

There's no substantial information on the Tanites. Honestly, there wasn't even discussion of "The Truth" during the writing of ISP2 amongst the writers. I can't comment one way or another on your theories - I have access to no more information on them than you do.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Venom
07/30/09 04:03 AM

I notice again that you didn't even comment on the possibility of a ROGUE run:P

At any rate I can't wait for hotspots 3076 to come out to see what questions arise...
CrayModerator
07/30/09 06:53 AM

Quote:

I notice again that you didn't even comment on the possibility of a ROGUE run:P

Yes, I did. Repeating: "There's no substantial information on the Tanites. Honestly, there wasn't even discussion of "The Truth" during the writing of ISP2 amongst the writers. I can't comment one way or another on your theories - I have access to no more information on them than you do."

If you think the absence of information from me equates to proof of something, then you're falling for an argumentum ad ignorantiam logical fallacy. Don't make that mistake.

To put this another way: the rogue run only exists in your home game, not in canon. You would need to post a detailed write-up of your home game's Tanites (origins, current status, history, motivations, plot, etc.) before I could comment on the Tanites you use in your home game.

Edited by Cray (07/30/09 08:07 AM)
Venom
07/31/09 04:22 AM

I appologize, I should have been clearer. I was not refering to a rogue run by the Tanites. I was wondering about a unauthorized run by any clanner to the IS.
CrayModerator
07/31/09 08:30 AM

Quote:

Lots of speculation here, but with 20/20 hindsight it is pretty hard to swallow that nobody tried to come back from the Exodus or the opressive Clan culture. That pill was pretty easy to swallow before the introduction of the Clans; when we all thought that Kerensky's followers escaped to live in utopia and had icecream for every meal.

There are a lot of barriers to interstellar travel in Clan society. Most Clan civilians have trouble catching a bus ride out of town; hijacking a whole JumpShip for a year-long voyage to the Inner Sphere is a low probability event.

Of course, there was this Comstar Primus who suddenly started claiming visions of vicious animals lurking outside the Inner Sphere, waiting to invade and create mayhem...Visions, or info from Clan refugees?

Tripod
08/01/09 10:22 AM

Things that make you go Hmm...
TBA
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7494

Contact Admins Sarna.net