3 ?s: Missiles/artillery projectiles sent indirectly & TAG/Light TAG

Pages: 1
NewPharoah
11/16/06 12:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For purposes of this discussion I will refer to a unit that, under a player's control, can launch missiles/artillery projectiles indirectly as per Total Warfare rules as unit_ind.

1. Can they be fired indirectly into, through, and/or out of a space hex?

2. If unit_ind has a mast mount/pierescope, i.e. a VTOL/submarine, and/or a probe then can the player use the mast mount/pierescope to trace LOS to spot one or more target(s) and/or use the probe to detect (spot) one or more target(s) for unit_ind if the player wants unit_ind to launch missiles/artillery projectiles indirectly at that/those target(s)?

3. Also, can a TAG or a Light TAG be placed in a mast mount/pierescope and be used by the player to have unit_ind trace a LOS TAG or Light TAG beam to a target (assuming the target is in range of that TAG or Light TAG beam) so that semiguided LRMs, laser guided bombs, Copperhead missiles, and/or Arrow IV homing missiles can be used against the target the TAG/Light TAG beam is used on?
Any rules I type should be considered unofficial unless stated otherwise by Precentor Martial Randall Bills and/or published Classic BattleTech products.
Drasnighta
01/08/07 08:04 PM

Okay, leaping out here, giving these answers a Shot, but no doubt I'll just make myself look like an idiot....

1. Although I'm unsure of specific wording - I doubt Missiles and Artillery could be fired into/outof/through a space hex - because at that point, you're no longer using Artillery Rules, you're using the Specific Ground-to-Space and Space-to-Ground Bombardment Rules... Of which, I believe, Certain Weapons (including Artillery) is not allowed...

2. Not so sure about this one... Its abit of a touchy subject if you have something being able to fire "indirectly" getting Line-of-Sight to a Target... You could argue you don't have to actually fire Indirectly...

3. Safe to say that is one of the reasons that the Mast Mount existed... If you can indeed place a TAG in a Mast Mount, then there is no problem in tagging it that way, while the boidy of your VTOL/Submarine is out of the Firing Line... Definately one of the reasons it was created...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Nightward
01/08/07 09:35 PM

1. The only AeroSpace unit equipped with Artillery is the Fortress-Class DropShip. Its fluff clearly mentions that the artillery cannons are used as support weapons when the vessel is grounded. There are no AT2 range values for Artillery of any stripe.

"Artillery" as such is limited to bombing runs with Arrow IV.

2. Spotting is based on LOS, not electronics packages.

3. Yes, which is the point of Mast Mounts.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Toontje
01/09/07 01:11 PM

Ah oui, une Pierre scopè. C'est possible, oui?
Rather to blow up, then.
Christopher_Perkins
08/11/09 08:45 PM

Quote:

For purposes of this discussion I will refer to a unit that, under a player's control, can launch missiles/artillery projectiles indirectly as per Total Warfare rules as unit_ind.

1. Can they be fired indirectly into, through, and/or out of a space hex?

Technicly, no...

But house Ruling it here..

1: Space Hexes are 18,000 meters per hex
2: Space Turns are 6 BattleTech / AT2 Air Turns Long
3: AT2 Air Hexes are 1 BattleTech Map Long 510 Meters (rounded to 500 Meters)
4: 30 Maps is 30 AT2 Air Hexes or 15,000 - 15,300 meters
5: 1 BattleSpace/AeroTech 2 Space Atmospheric hex (the 6 Atmosperic Rows on an AT2 Space Map that is used to represent the Atmosphere) is larger than the range of a Long Tom, and the Flight time for the Shell would be the entire AeroTech 2 Space Turn or 5 BattleTech/AT2 Air Turn.

so to be even close to effective a craft armed with a Long Tom would have to wait until it enterd the AT2 Space Hex that represented the "Ground" level that the AT2 Air Playing area was in before it tried to Target some thing on a BattleTech Map that was in the AT2 Air Playing Area...

Better would simply switch over to AT2 Air from AT2 Space and work it that way...

While it woudl be physicly possible to fire a shell from inside the Atmospheric Row (row 5 or Less) at 5 Turns for every row fallen, you would just be wasting time and ammo
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
CrayModerator
08/12/09 08:19 AM

Quote:

Technicly, no...

Why the HeroChip thread necromancy, Chris?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Christopher_Perkins
08/12/09 09:33 PM

this one and his review of Total Warfare Apppeared one of 6 "New" Threads...

:::shrug::: I never look at the dates

I did wonder why he was back....

DOH
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8025

Contact Admins Sarna.net