2 ChisComp 43 Medium Lasers
2 SperryBrowning Machine Guns
4 Rocket Launcher-10s
Communications System: DLK-5
Targeting and Tracking System: MYR Targeter-12
Primary Manufacturer: Paxton Arms Research and Development
Primary Factory: Unknown

OVERVIEW

The Myrmidon is the Marian Hegemony’s newest BattleMech design. Although massing just forty tons, the tiny 'Mech is capable of delivering a heavy barrage of firepower, in most cases equaling or exceeding the damage profiles attained by most new House designs despite its low-tech loadout.

CAPABILITIES

The Myrmidon’s primary armament consists of the four racks of 10 71-mm, unguided rockets mounted on either side of the Myrmidon’s chest. With a range exceeding 500 metres and allowing for extreme damage, these rocket launchers allow for an opening barrage that heavily damages, if not outright destroys, many small 'Mechs.

These weapons are backed up by a powerful Lord’s Light PPC, carried in a rifle assembly with an underslung pair of Medium Lasers. A single hit from the PPC is often enough to incapacitate n opponent, if not outright destroy them; after the initial barrage of PPC and Rocket fire, the Myrmidon can move in with its Medium Lasers to finish its opponent off.

With a top speed of 86.4 kph, the Myrmidon is a swift mover, though it does lack the high-technology Jump Jets found on most House 'Mechs of this size. This speed allows the Myrmidon to relocate quickly to bolster a failing offensive, or to press forward into an opening when they are presented. With its full nine tons of hardened steel armour, the Myrmidon is capable of surviving a heavy beating, and even facing 'Mechs up to half again its own weight with a reasonable chance of success. Despite the prohibitive cost, the MHAF authorised the use of Double Heat Sinks on the Myrmidon, allowing it to engage in heavy action for long periods of time without overheating.

However, there is one feature of the Myrmidon that its admirers treasure above all else; its dual Machine Guns, mounted on either side of the 'Mech’s chest. The bulk of Periphery military forces are composed of infantry units, so Paxton designers armed the Myrmidon with a pair of the Inner Sphere’s finest anti-infantry cannons. With enough ammunition for almost twenty minutes of continuous fire from each weapon, the Myrmidon can decimate enemy units. And, being a BattleMech, the Myrmidon has little to fear in the way of an enemy response.

DEPLOYMENT

The Myrmidon is being deployed first amongst the elite of the MHAF. So far, approximately twenty Myrmidon have been built, though the initial production run is expected to be about 100.

COST ANALYSIS

At just over 2.9 million C-Bills, the Myrmidon is one of the most cost-efficient 'Mechs in existence.

MY BLURB

Meh. Got bored, built a Myrmidon. Based it around the PRDF’s Myrmidon from Heavy Gear; using Marian technology allowed me to almost directly convert the MRP-36 to BattleTech technology. There was, however, no analogy for the Light Field Mortar, and seeing as it was only 40 tons there was really no way to have a “Very Heavy Auto Cannon”- in BT terms, almost certainly a A/C-20- on the thing. Still, a PPC should sot most enemy 'Mechs out in short order. The Machine Guns took the place of the twin-linked Light AutoCannon, and I skipped the Vibro Blade completely.

Just in BattleTech terms, though, this thing is pretty nice. It can whack out 64 points of damage in a single turn (if you are lucky enough to hit with every Rocket), but thereafter it falls to a maximum of 24 points of damage. Still, that opening barrage should be enough to give you the edge.

While I was calculating the BVs for the 'Mech, the thought occurred to me; the BV system is seriously compromised by Rocket Launchers. Seeing as they are One-Shot weapons, the effect they have on a 'Mechs Overheat rating for calculating their BV really reduces their cost. It is entirely possible to build a 'Mech that, for only a few hundred BVs, is packed out with RLs. It would be the ultimate one-shot wonder, but since you can fit up to 51 RL-10s (It would only weigh 20.5 tons) onto a single 'Mech, this could cause problems. If you were unscrupulous. Hmmm. I think I might have to look into that; toying with the calculator I had nearby when I typed this up, I found you could make a 5/8 55-tonner with 8 tons of armour and packed out with RL-10s. With the ability to do 510 damage in a single turn…

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Engine: 8.5
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 2
Internal Structure: 4
Armour: 9
CASE: .5
4 Rocket Launcher-10s: 2
PPPC: 7
2 Medium Lasers: 2
2 Machine Guns with 1 Ton of Ammunition: 2

GAME STATISTICS

Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8

Total Heat Sinks: 10 (20) Double Heat Sinks

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 18/6
Side Torsos: 15/5
Arms: 12
Legs: 20

BVs

LOCATIONS

PPC, 2 Medium Lasers- Right Arm
1 Double Heat Sink, 2 RL-10s, 1 Machine Gun, 1 Ton of Machine Gun Ammunition, CASE- Left Torso
1 Double Heat Sink, 2 RL-10s, 1 Machine Gun- Right Torso
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
08/25/09 11:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Seems to be a garrison mech or at the most a good start mech for new pilot.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
08/26/09 05:27 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I think it's great. I love low tech stuff...
TBA
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4479

Contact Admins Sarna.net