Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Overview:
There are thousands of stories about hand-built mechs, the vast majority of
them being apocryphal or urban legends.

The most common are the so-called "Frankenmechs" New machines made from the
parts of two or more, often different mechs assembled into a single design.
But the Fire Vandal is an extremely rare mech, a fully hand-built mech from the
ground up.

Capabilities:
Fred Vander was a young, ambitious tech when he first heard rumors of the very
first new battlemechs to apper in centuries. Fascinated by designs like the
Merlin, Raven and the Cataphract, he decided to build his own battlemech from
the ground up. With the exception of some highly specialized engine parts and
off the shelf electronics, the entire Fire Vandal was hand built over a period
of more than 65 years.

Even the weapons were hand made, requiring years of careful work and
preparation.

The Fire Vandal was first conceived long before the rediscovery of the Helm
datacore, has little or no advanced technology. Its main weapons are a single
large laser and LRM10 backed up by two medium lasers and an SRM2 for short
range defense. With a top speed of close to 54 kph it has an average speed for
a mech its size. 7.5 tons of armour give adequate protection in combat.

Ironically Fred Vander, now in his eighties, never learned to pilot a mech. It
was given a trial test and worked fine according to the pilot.

Battle History:
The Fire Vandal has not seen any combat.

Deployment:
The Fire Vandal is an honorary member of the New Antwerp militia.

Variants:
No variants exist though Fred has suggested the possibility of upgrading some
of the weapon systems to more advanced configurations.

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: 75 points 4,50
Engine: Fusion Engine 225 10,00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single 12 2,00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 CT, 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro: Standard Gyro 3,00
Cockpit: Standard Cockpit 3,00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard AV - 120 7,50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 14 18
Center Torso (rear) 5
L/R Torso 11 15
L/R Torso (rear) 4
L/R Arm 7 11
L/R Leg 11 14

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SRM-2 CT 2 1 1,00
Large Laser RT 8 2 5,00
LRM-10 LT 4 2 5,00
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1,00
Medium Laser LA 3 1 1,00
@LRM-10 (12) LT - 1 1,00
@SRM-2 (50) LT - 1 1,00
Karagin
08/27/09 05:18 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quick question, are you doing this by hand or use a program to make it?

Why are you including info like Tech Rating and wither or not it's Tournement Legal? Is it legal by the rules, if it is that is all we need to know.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
08/28/09 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quick question, are you doing this by hand or use a program to make it?

Why are you including info like Tech Rating and wither or not it's Tournement Legal? Is it legal by the rules, if it is that is all we need to know.

He is using Solaris Skunk Werks. It's the free program that... well, does a lot better then Megamek.
Karagin
08/28/09 06:15 AM

I will stick with HMPro...
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
08/28/09 10:06 AM

Quote:

I will stick with HMPro...

Naw, try it; you'll like it a lot.

Solaris Skunk Werks Homepage

Just hit "Downloads" and click on "SSW 6.26 ZIP".
Karagin
08/28/09 04:44 PM

What does it offer that HMPro doesn't?

All I can see, based off your postings, is I get some lines of text that are pointless, since I don't care if the mech is tournament legal or not, and the tech rating/availability is pretty pointless given that I am not going to playing in a game that forces me to have to pick a mech from an era or given tech set beyond IS tech or Clan tech. That's really we need or needed.

So what else am I getting? Sell me on why I should try it.
Karagin

Venom
08/29/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

He is using Solaris Skunk Werks. It's the free program that... well, does a lot better then Megamek.

MegaMek is a game system, SSW is a design suite. Do you mean better than HMP or TDB? Or are you saying that it works better WITH MegaMek?
Lafeel
08/29/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

What does it offer that HMPro doesn't?

All I can see, based off your postings, is I get some lines of text that are pointless, since I don't care if the mech is tournament legal or not, and the tech rating/availability is pretty pointless given that I am not going to playing in a game that forces me to have to pick a mech from an era or given tech set beyond IS tech or Clan tech. That's really we need or needed.

So what else am I getting? Sell me on why I should try it.

A completely up to date weapons list for one thing, seeing as HMP's doesn't have some of the newer gismo's from TW/TO.

Also, I have found that for some reason hmp runs a bit iffy in Vista, although it may be just me.
Bob_Richter
08/29/09 08:31 PM

HMP wasn't built for Vista and isn't exactly compatible. There is a work-around.

I'm a retired 'Mech designer, and I don't really care for the newer weapons (and by "newer" I mean "introduced after the 3050 TRO,") so I imagine I'll pass.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
08/30/09 12:37 AM

Okay. So it has the newer weapons, I have all but the melee weapons added into HMPro.

Pro works via Vista, has Bob points out Rick has a work around for it. Again saying something won't work in Vista is like saying DOS doesn't work either and as much as Microsoft claims DOS is gone, folks still find ways to get older DOS games to work in XP and Vista....so that isn't a selling point to me.

Does it print out better sheets then PRO? Does it have the support that PRO has? Can I email the company/person and get help if something crashes with it? Do they update it like PRO gets updated?

Now I have used MechWorks, The Drawing Board, Vehicle Factor and host of other freeibe design programs, and some of things they had or have I wish PRO did have, but PRO works and is supported where as a lot of the others are one shot deals and you get no further help beyond a few updates and that is it.
Karagin

Venom
08/30/09 05:28 AM

Considering that SSW is up to date and HMPro has not been in awhile, that blows a hole in your argument.

Also the fact that SSW works with the new weapons AND MegaMek makes a huge difference to a lot of players.

Keep resisting change. At some point things will change to the point that they are almost the same again.
Karagin
08/30/09 11:38 AM

How is SSW up to date? Does it have ALL of the new weapons and stuff from Stragetic Ops as well as all the stuff from the TROs as well and is it the official software?

Pro gets' update when Rick has everything worked out and ready to go, thus we get a clean update that is done, without us having to complain about hey this isn't entered correctly.

Also having the ability to work with MegaMek isn't a selling point, it's an extra for those who use that game.

I am not resiting change, this program is not change since it is not going to push PRO out of the picture. I asked you to tell me why I should download it and use it verses using PRO. So far all you have told me is that it has an up to date weapons file, which I question since a new core rule book just came out, and if the weapons are up to date, does it cover all the new ammo types and their cost as well as allowing them on the sheets via the program, and the other point you try to use to tell me it is better then PRO is that it can work with MegaMek, a program I do not use, so where is the major benefit?

Selling me on this would be to tell things about the size of the program, the interface, the ease of use, the community that uses it and supports it. Things like that.
Karagin

KitK
08/31/09 12:35 AM

First of all, we have a shiny new mech here with some interesting fluff. Hand building all the weapons would have taken a real whiz-kid and jack of all trades.

Second, I can't help notice the thread hijacking to a very lame debate over HMPRO and Solaris Skunk Werks.

And third, the comment that started it by Karagan ("Quick question, are you doing this by hand or use a program to make it? Why are you including info like Tech Rating and wither or not it's Tournement Legal? Is it legal by the rules, if it is that is all we need to know."), which is similar to a comment by Karagan in another or Rotwang's recent posts, seems a bit disparaging and trivial. Come on, the only comment you got is ~I don't like your choice of included, rules-related, technical information~? Which, incidentally, might be of use and interest to other readers.
Prince_of_Darkness
08/31/09 01:49 AM

I'm going to end this topic.

Quote:

How is SSW up to date? Does it have ALL of the new weapons and stuff from Stragetic Ops as well as all the stuff from the TROs as well and is it the official software?

Yes. All the new weapons are there and the fans have gone to great lengths to import each Technical Readout- all of which you can download off of the site.

Quote:

Pro gets' update when Rick has everything worked out and ready to go...

Something that has been said since Techmanual's construction... and before it, too...

Quote:

...thus we get a clean update that is done, without us having to complain about "hey this isn't entered correctly".

Except that SSW is made in Java (which is open-source) and that knowing java means you can change it's features.

Quote:

Also having the ability to work with MegaMek isn't a selling point, it's an extra for those who use that game.

So? It can still do it, and is a plus for those who use it.

Quote:

I am not resiting change, this program is not change since it is not going to push PRO out of the picture. I asked you to tell me why I should download it and use it verses using PRO. So far all you have told me is that it has an up to date weapons file, which I question since a new core rule book just came out, and if the weapons are up to date, does it cover all the new ammo types and their cost as well as allowing them on the sheets via the program, and the other point you try to use to tell me it is better then PRO is that it can work with MegaMek, a program I do not use, so where is the major benefit?

Oh, you mean aside from:
A. Not costing anything.
B. Having up-to-date weapons information and a timeline database.
C. Being easy to maneuver and understand.
D. Can print the new 'Mech readouts.
E. Can export it's files into several different types, INCLUDING MegaMek, Solaris 7, and TDB.
F. Has current BV Calculators.
G. Display's battleforce stats.
H. Is small (2, maybe 3 Megabytes in size. About the size of a small MP3).
I. Runs open-source.
J. Only requires a small workaround to operate in vista and most Linux machines.
K. It's creator is very supportive and jumps at the chance to fix problems.
L. Has great Technical support (LiS, MajorTom, Skyhigh...).

...I'll stop there. Brand me a fanboy of LostInSpace's construction if you will, but he has done nothing short of sheer brilliance for BT.

Quote:

Selling me on this would be to tell things about the size of the program, the interface, the ease of use, the community that uses it and supports it. Things like that.

Which I have outlined above. Of course, you are going to need to try out the program to decide, so I give you a double-dog-dare, K:

I Dare you, Karagin, to download and use nothing but SSW for one whole Week.
LAMdriver
08/31/09 06:06 AM

And thus the gautlet of challenge is thrown down!!!!
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks

Edited by LAMdriver (08/31/09 06:11 AM)
Karagin
08/31/09 06:08 AM

Way ahead of you and I will stick with Pro. I gave the program a run through over the weekend, beyond the extra weapons I didn't find it to be any better or any worse then Pro.

So like the older design programs, it will be added into the folder and if I need to use it for something I will.

And besides, I have the new weapons already in PRO, that is what a fan based community does, it shares files.
Karagin

Tripod
08/31/09 11:50 PM

Now I will make my attempt to end this...

I like your mech and it's fluff. Good job!
TBA
Karagin
09/01/09 12:08 AM

Check you PMs.
Karagin

Karagin
09/01/09 12:12 AM

It is a good mech. Sorry if a simple question about the program wander off...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8957

Contact Admins Sarna.net