Armament:
2 HellStar PPCs
3 Firmir Standard Medium Lasers
2 Shigunga LRM 15s
Manufacturer: Osaka-Sumida Armaments
Communications System: Osaka Telenet 4000
Targeting & Tracking System: Sumida Hawkeye

==Overview:==
One of the many mechs built during the hay day of Landorf Protectorate, the Sultan series was seen on every world that rated a mainline garrison and on some secondary worlds as well.

The mech had the firepower and protection to stand fight against almost anything thrown at it.

During the Revolt of the Warlords, many a battles had whole lances of Sultans facing off against each other. Whole towns and villages were razed when this mech would face of against another of it's kind.

The Revolt caused a sharp decline in the number of Sultans and today the mech is still seen in the front lines of the Protectorates' forces but it's numbers are no near what they were 300 years earlier.

There are several upgraded versions that seem to go with double strenght heat sinks and endo steel frame or an extra light engine.

code:

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Sultan SLT-N3M
Mass: 85 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 130 pts Standard 0 8.50
Engine: 255 6 13.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 16 Single 6 6.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA R: Sh+UA+LA 14 .00
Armor Factor: 263 pts Standard 0 16.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 27 40
Center Torso (Rear): 14
L/R Side Torso: 18 27/27
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 9/9
L/R Arm: 14 28/28
L/R Leg: 18 36/36

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 PPC RA 10 3 7.00
1 Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
1 PPC LA 10 3 7.00
1 Medium Laser LA 3 1 1.00
1 LRM 15 RT 5 32 7 11.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT)
1 LRM 15 LT 5 3 7.00
1 Medium Laser CT 3 1 1.00
TOTALS: 39 54 85.00
Crits & Tons Left: 24 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 7,808,850 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,298
Cost per BV: 6,016.06
Weapon Value: 1,420 / 1,420 (Ratio = 1.09 / 1.09)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 12; MRDmg = 14; LRDmg = 8
BattleForce2: MP: 3, Armor/Structure: 7/7
Damage PB/M/L: 2/2/2, Overheat: 4
Class: MA; Point Value: 13

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
11/30/02 12:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'd have an overwhelming urge to replace the LRM 15s with LRM 10s and mount 4 more SHS. It's hard for this mech, admittedly L1, to harness its firepower. Otherwise an excellent long range design.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/30/02 12:33 AM

Interesting, but then again I am not out to build Alpha Strike MW4 BS mechs...a good pilot would be able to use this mech and keep the other side guessing as to what he is doing.
Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
11/30/02 12:38 AM

Hmmm...extra heat control is tempting indeed, but this thing struck me as quite similar to a Rifleman in the fire management category. Admittedly, this thing does run quite hot, but the weaponry allows for a number of choices, taking into account heat management, optimal range brackets, ammo vs energy, heavy hitting vs scatter+total damage potential, not to mention firing arcs. If this thing had the support of a couple good close range bruisers, I might be tempted to trade out the MLs for heat sinks, rather than downgrading the LRMs. Of course, generally speaking, I have an aversion to LRM 10s when there are other options available (unless, of course, it adds character )
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
11/30/02 12:42 AM

Interesting take on the Sultan. I had a guy ask me if I based this off of either the Rifleman or the Grand Crusader...it's good to see folks trying to match the mech to some of the better know ones.
Karagin

Moloch
11/30/02 02:40 PM

Reminds me of the variants of the Awesome mentioned in the 3025 TRO. It mentions how one or more of the PPCs are dropped in favor of LRMs or replaced with large lasers.
Popular Bumper Stickers
“Keep honking: I’m re-loading”
“If you don’t mind, please eject now: that Mech is a **** to salvage"
“I ran out of room to stencil all the Mechs I’ve killed, so now I just go by regiment’s wiped out.”
Karagin
11/30/02 04:57 PM

Interesting, I had forgotten about that...now am I going to have to have spend a couple hours while waiting for my minis to dry re-reading the TR3025 original to see what other interesting ideas it has.
Karagin

Nightward
11/30/02 06:14 PM

Arg. Next time, use a spell and grammar checker..even if it is the abominable MS Word one :P

Hmm. 16 Heat Sinks and dual PPCs. The Marauder conondrum all over again. "Hmm. Fire two PPCs, run hot, get screwed over. Fire 1 PPC, don't do enough damage, still screwed. Ah..."

Personally, I'd be inclined to swap the PPCs out for Large Lasers and mount some more Heat Sinks. Four more Heat Sinks would allow you to run, fire both LRMs, and one Large Laser. But that's just me.

Heh. This thing is a total FrankenMech. Shades of the Marauder, Archer, and RifleMan. It can dish it out (albeit with some heat and range barrier concerns) and with full armour for its size, it can soak it up. At 85 tons, I'd take this over a BattleMaster any day for 3025-era fights.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
MadWolf
11/30/02 06:19 PM

If you can play well with heat, and manuver a 85 tonner like it was a 45 tonner, It can work, I just don't see it being produced In any numbers......
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Karagin
11/30/02 07:05 PM

Actually I think this would get made over some of the mechs in the last two TROs...this one has a better chance of convincing the military procurement groups then some of the mechs like the Blue Flame and the Anvil or the Sagittaire just to name a few...but then again I guess if you keep dropping water mechs will keep growing...
Karagin

CrayModerator
11/30/02 07:23 PM

I wasn't thinking alpha strike, just something to enable both PPCs to be used together (without other weapons) or maybe a PPC/twin LRM combo. Twin PPCs on 16 SHS leaves the mech well short of its potential - and this design is an awesome one with adequate heat capacity.

Seriously- this machine is too heat-hampered to even consider alpha striking until the advent of DHS. With 20 SHS, it will do exactly what you want: keep the enemy guessing about what it will fire.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (11/30/02 07:27 PM)
Karagin
11/30/02 11:10 PM

If I drop the LRMs down, you know some will complain about that, with the normal comments of how one class of LRM is better then the other etc...

So that leaves me with 2 choices, the first is to go down to large lasers...not something I want to do, and then the second choice drop four tons of armor...

So tell me, of all the ideas which is the LESSER of the evils to go with?
Karagin

NathanKell
12/01/02 09:26 PM

Here's my idea:
Drop 1t of armor (takes legs to 28/28), drop 1t LRM-15 ammo (to 12rpg, which is IMO fine), drop 2 MLs (save the CT one). Then you can choose between firing 2x PPC or 1xPPC, 2xLRM-15, or overheating and firing more.
Close range power suffers, though; and if you want such a long-range fire support machine you may not even need that much armor.
Going the other way would be dropping an LRM-15 for extra SHS and MLs; i.e. 1x LRM-15 w/ 2t ammo, 20SHS, and another five MLs (total of 8; firing 7 of them would be safe, 8 to overheat by 4).

I rather like the latter because it comes to what is IMO the perfect "trooper" mech: PPCs with a few LRMs as a primary armament, and MLs enough to generate the heat of the first set as secondary/close in weapons.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
12/01/02 09:36 PM

Interesting ideas...I think that I have about 8 variants for the Sultan and that is really good!
Karagin

Karagin
09/12/09 03:11 PM

I was going to repost this one, then I recalled that I posted it once all ready...so here it is bumped for another look or three.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7851

Contact Admins Sarna.net