Limiting tech by faction

Pages: 1
Venom
09/17/09 05:47 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was talking to someone who was interested in starting to play btech and they asked an odd question:What factions can have what weapons? Granted we started playing 3025 so there was none of the stuff intorduced in the FM series. I told him that at the point we were playing at anyone could have any weapon. He then asked if that changed at any point. My response was "kind of", since the FM stuff was proprietary for only a short time. I then laid out some basics like FedSuns love of ACs and the idea of flagship designs like the Zues.

My question to you is this:Would BTech be more or less fun if you had limited weapon availabiblity based on your chosen faction?
Karagin
09/17/09 06:43 AM

It would be more realistic in that certain factions would have the ability to build only a certain weapon and use it more so then the others.

An example, though not the best, is the former Soviet Union liked to mix cannons and missiles on their tanks, the US and her allies never really tried this, with a very few exceptions, and stuck to the single large caliber cannon on their MBTs.

The Soviets went with cheaply made tanks, for the most part, and massive formations of mechinized infantry and armor, the Western nations went with a high tech military, with a focus on their air forces being high tech to the point that pilots are now being considered obsolete. The same high tech push means the armor and IFVs are able to fight in all kinds of weather and not be affected by said weather. Not to say the Soviets didn't have high tech items, they just didn't have a lot of them.

It would make the game interesting if for example, only the FWL had ER Lasers or the DC used PPCs for all of their designs, and the LC had more of a mix of Lasers and PPCs with heavy designs and the FS had more AC units with the LACs coming around sooner rather then later etc...

It could also mean that there are less mech designs and more vehicles or an even mix of them.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
OPER_DANG
09/17/09 12:34 PM

Hi folks, new member, old skool fan would like to comment...

Hmmm, we never played that way but it makes a lot of sense if you are wanting to add a dimension of "accuracy" true to the original spirit of C.BT, i.e. instances when one House gained new manufacturing capabilities with the conquest of a world, such examples can be found in the 3050 Tech Readout. Doesn't sound like it would really change game mechanics, you just have to have ever one agree ahead of time. Just ruins the fun when you've encountered a mystical creature, such as a custom LAM with advanced SLT weapons, but then they absolutely refuse to allow you hull-down rules for your otherwise crappy hot-running medium quad...
Tripod
09/18/09 07:16 AM

We have always played that way, somewhat...

I remember my firnds 3025 book had what house produced each mech penciled in on every mechs fluff page. Not that you would never see that mech in another house but it would be less common, possibly in dissrepair for lack of repair parts. Other designs were openly sold to all houses and so were common to all house armies.
TBA
OPER_DANG
09/18/09 10:38 AM

Yes, there is probably a wealth of info, at least on the Mechs if you want to get into that detail. Most I played with just wanted to blow some s__t up, and we just formed up based on tons and what the Moderator assigned based on dice rolls. I liked a Jenner and Dragon I got, and later figured I'd be DCMS if given the chance.
Kelly
09/25/09 01:15 AM

Heavy Metal Pro has a faction tab so you could play with just that factions mechs. Currently in a campaign like that.
Some mornings you just don't feel like slaying dragons!
Tripod
09/26/09 08:42 AM

Oh Wow...

Can any other program do that?
TBA
Karagin
09/26/09 07:01 PM

Not that I am aware of at this time.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
09/27/09 03:27 PM

SSW can tell you when and who made something, but for availability you have to do that yourself.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6386

Contact Admins Sarna.net