Stingray Assault Ship

Pages: 1
Karagin
11/21/09 11:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
With this one I was trying to make a small patrol ship, one that would allow a system to have some kind of anti-pirate patrol that could be out for longer periods then say a fighter patrol.

For an example of this think like a small gun boat or coast guard cutter.

Code:
                    AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Stingray Assault Ship
Tech: Inner Sphere / 2582
Vessel Type: Aerodyne Small Craft
Rules: Level 1, Standard design
Rules Set: AeroTech2

Mass: 100 tons
Length: 22 meters
Power Plant: Standard
Safe Thrust: 7
Maximum Thrust: 11
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 Medium Laser
3 Small Laser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name: Stingray Assault Ship
Mass: 100 tons

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: 45.50
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 7
Structural Integrity: 12 6.00
Total Heat Sinks: 3 Single 3.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 5.50
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 1.00
Fire Control Computers: .00
Armor Type: Standard (64 total armor pts) 1.00
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 16
Left/Right Wings: 16/16
Aft: 16

Cargo:
Bay 1: Cargo (1) with 1 door 6.00

Crew and Passengers:
3 Crew (3 minimum) 21.00
1 Gunners (1 minimum) 7.00
Weapons and Equipment Loc SRV MRV LRV ERV Heat Mass
1 Medium Laser Nose 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Small Laser RW 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 Small Laser LW 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 Small Laser Aft 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 VSTOL 1.50
TOTALS: Heat: 6 100.00
Tons Left: .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 6,026,310 C-Bills
Battle Value: 201
Cost per BV: 29,981.64
Weapon Value: 529 (Ratio = 2.63)
Damage Factors: SRV = 6; MRV = 0; LRV = 0; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 1,345
(611 Structure, 655 Life Support, 79 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 3,152 (234% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 7, Armor/Structure: 2 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: DH; Point Value: 2

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
11/30/09 01:44 PM

Why would you spend so much weight just to get it moving at 7/11? With how much armor and weapons it's got, you would be better off getting an areospace fighter 1/5th it's weight; those could mount the same number of guns for far less.

As it is, I would leave system patrol to Dropships.
Karagin
12/02/09 06:30 PM

Each to their own, you play differently then myself on a lot matter and having an aerospace fighter wasn't the approach I was looking for.

The ships is more like a custom patrol vessel or police type of ship, but I guess it depends on how you envision the BT universe and what all should or should not be in it. I see them having system patrols that have custom enforcement vessels that check on the merchant traffic in the system and similar vessels that conduct police operations around the star system in the different houses.

You seem to envision dropships doing this, which is find, I feel the small craft can do the job better and thus keep the dropships as merchant vessels and military vessels.

Thank you for the comments though.
Karagin

Christopher_Perkins
12/04/09 12:38 PM

POD

Fighters are Flatly incapable of doing in system patrols...

Small Craft have
Life Support Measured in Days
Fuel sufficient to move at multiples of 2 Thrust (1 G) for a period measured in Days (if no combat occors)

Fighters Have
Life Support Measured in Hours
Fuel measured in Minutes
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Karagin
12/04/09 01:02 PM

Good points. I will make a note of them.
Karagin

Zandel_Corrin
12/08/09 11:27 PM

Question, On dropships and warships that 16 armour is vs capitol weapons.... is it the same for small craft?

I mean if this thing takes an AC20 shot does it loose 2 or 20 armour?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
12/08/09 11:33 PM

Quote:

Question, On dropships and warships that 16 armour is vs capitol weapons.... is it the same for small craft?

DropShips, Small Craft, and fighters use standard (Mech) scale armor: 20 points of armor would be marked off by an AC/20. WarShips, JumpShips, and space stations use capital-scale armor.

Quote:

I mean if this thing takes an AC20 shot does it loose 2 or 20 armour?

20 points. So, it doesn't take much to turn the Stingray into confetti.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
12/08/09 11:49 PM

Correct, it is not the best ship out there, but it can do it's job.
Karagin

Zandel_Corrin
12/08/09 11:53 PM

Woah! hang on a sec.

Dropships use mech armour stats? srsly?

So a Union for example only takes 2 ac20 shots to destroy?

or is that a new rule and they used to use capital armour?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Prince_of_Darkness
12/09/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

Woah! hang on a sec.

I think it's been that way for awhile, but they might have shortened it sometimes when it reaches the thousands (like in the case of the Nekohono'o or however the hell you spell it).

I tried to make a similar craft in HMP:Aero, however I found out that a similar-weighted small craft moving 6/9 suddenly has to deal with much of it's tonnage going to officers, gunners, food & water, and fuel. I had to go up in tonnage.

Code:

VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: New Aerodyne Small Craft
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3025

Mass: 200 tons
Length: 31 meters
Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Armament:
9 Medium Laser
2 LRM 15
Class/Model/Name: New Aerodyne Small Craft
Mass: 200 tons

Power Plant, Drive & Control: 65.00
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Structural Integrity: 9 9.00
Total Heat Sinks: 18 Single 17.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 10.50
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 1.50
Food & Water: (160 days supply) 4.00
Armor Type: Standard (196 total armor pts) 10.00
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 65
Left/Right Wings: 49/49
Aft: 33

Cargo:
Bay 1: Cargo (1) with 1 door 10.00

Escape Pods: 1 (7 tons each) 7.00

Crew and Passengers:
1 Officers (0 minimum) 10.00
2 Crew (2 minimum) 14.00
2 Gunners (2 minimum) 14.00
1 LRM 15 RW 9 9 9 -- 5 7.00
1 LRM 15 LW 9 9 9 -- 5 7.00
Ammo (LRM 15) 24 --- 3.00
1 Medium Laser RW 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Medium Laser LW 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Medium Laser RW 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Medium Laser LW 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Medium Laser Aft 5 -- -- -- 3 1.00
1 Lot Spare Parts (1.00%) 2.00
TOTALS: Heat: 37 200.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 13,395,200 C-Bills
Battle Value: 811
Cost per BV: 16,516.89
Weapon Value: 1,957 (Ratio = 2.41)
Damage Factors: SRV = 28; MRV = 6; LRV = 2; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 2,458
(925 Structure, 900 Life Support, 633 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 6,077 (247% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 5, Armor/Structure: 5 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: 3/1/1, Overheat: 3
Class: DS; Point Value: 8
Specials: if

Double the cost, tonnage, and much slower. But on the Flipside, it has firepower, armor, more cargo room, and can stay out for longer (not to mention having more range).
Karagin
12/09/09 10:03 AM

And the changes you went with are not what I was going for with the Stingray.

I was going for a cheap inter-system craft that allowed a police force or system defense force to have something to conduct small scale operations without the need to devote fighters and a dropship to.

Yet still small enough to keep the overall use of existing infrastructure and keep maintenance cost down.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
12/09/09 11:30 AM

Quote:

And the changes you went with are not what I was going for with the Stingray.

I was going for a cheap inter-system craft that allowed a police force or system defense force to have something to conduct small scale operations without the need to devote fighters and a dropship to.

Yet still small enough to keep the overall use of existing infrastructure and keep maintenance cost down.

The problem is that I can't really do that without making it look the same. As you can see, small craft need both gunners and crew, which take up exorbitant amounts of weight. Making it go 7/11 is something small craft can do easily (I think it has to do with being able to use specialty-made reactors and not the standard point terminology) but, as you can see, you really lose available space in doing so.

And then, there's the guns. A medium laser and three small lasers? What exactly are you patrolling? CBT has lasers like that barely being used for crowd control; from what I can see, you are talking about using them in space. If you are, what could you expect to do?
CrayModerator
12/09/09 02:17 PM

Quote:

Woah! hang on a sec.

The Union (obsolete) model of TR:3057 (pg28-29) has 180 nose armor, 180 side armor, and 100 butt armor; the updated version has 180/170/120. You'll need 10 AC20 hits to penetrate the nose and side armor and start hammering on the structural integrity.

Quote:

In DropShips & JumpShips, they used standard-scale armor but a different armor layout (Nose/Right/Left/Fuselage/Engine, with 140/140/140/160/60, respectively.)

In BattleSpace, (pg44 second section), gives the capital-scale stats of the Union: 18 fore armor, 18 side, 10 aft (which translates to 180/180/100 in standard scale, just like TR:3057R said).

And per pg64, AT2R, stats for DropShips shifted back to standard-scale notation, and TR:3057R used AT2/AT2R rules.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
12/09/09 02:42 PM

Quote:

With this one I was trying to make a small patrol ship, one that would allow a system to have some kind of anti-pirate patrol that could be out for longer periods then say a fighter patrol.

I heartily approve of the concept, but a few notes on this specific implementation:

1) Its ~3 days of fuel limits it to something near the planet. You could make one-way trips from Earth to Mars at 1G, but round trips would significantly shorten its range, particularly if a combat reserve was included. On the other hand, 5 tons of fuel is enough to check out anything that a planet's space scanners can spot (specifically, drive plumes). If you could give it about 7 burn-days of fuel, it'd be able to make one-way trips to most jump points. This is not a big deal - the design's fuel capacity can get the job done.

2) It is undergunned to the point that only the very lightest fighters might have less firepower. Any other pirate fighter or DropShip (even civilian ships like a Mule or Buccaneer) outguns this, which will mean it has no way of performing its anti-pirate job (particularly in combination with its armor of 16).

3) 16 points of armor per location means it has an armor threshold of 2. A small laser will cause critical hit rolls with every hit, and the armor will not endure more than a couple of hits from DropShips and medium or heavy fighters. This compounds the problem of low, short-ranged firepower - the patrol boat can't stay in the fight long enough to do any damage, but it must get to short range to shoot. That's exactly where targets' numbers are lowest, too. Short range of a pirate Union or Leopard means exposure to big guns that are not impressed by 16 points of armor.

4) The VSTOL gear is not available to small craft, and aerodyne small craft already have some VSTOL functions (if not as many as fighters). This is a point you can ignore easily because, hey, VSTOL is always a useful addition. OTOH, conventional fighter VSTOL equipment is 5% of the fighter's mass, not 1.5%.

5) You can save 8 tons by paring the crew quarters back to "steerage." With its low fuel supply, the crew's unlikely to be in space long enough to gripe about the limited amenities of steerage quarters. This, again, is not a big issue, just an observation. It'll be a comfortable ride as written.

If this is one of those "show the badge" type of patrol boats where no resistance is expected to inspections and boardings, it'll do pretty well. It will not, however, be able to perform in the intended anti-pirate role except to serve as a tripwire, in the sense of the guys back on the planet noticing that the approaching ship(s) destroyed the patrol boat and are thus likely "bad guys."

Christopher_Perkins
12/09/09 04:24 PM

AeroDyne Small Craft have In-System Drives (unless it was fluffed out... )

In System Drives provide Very Short Take-Off & Landing (VSTOL) capability to AeroDyne DropShips & Small Craft at no cost (Vertical Take off & Landing and or Hover would require Additional Mass... AFIK true VTOL capability in atmosphere is not permitted to AeroDyne Small Craft or DropShips in the canon) as a virtue of their having a "down" mounted drive... this has been since JumpShips & Dropships up to AeroTech 2 Revised... have not verified retention in

Conventional Fighters can have the ability built in for a fractional cost.

AeroSpace Fighters may require additional equipment for VSTOL capability...
the percieved requirement for AeroDyne Small Craft to mount additional hardware comes from the original 100 ton Mark VII Landing Craft using the Fighter Construction Rules and being called a small craft in DropShips & Jump Ships... (TR3057 bungled it and created an entirely new 150 ton craft... said error has been acknowledged by H.Beas and/or R.Bills... no word for whither or not the Fighter Rules Mark VII Landing Craft (with fighter short range) will be back into the canon.)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Karagin
12/09/09 05:13 PM

It is primary job is to go after pirates and raiders, folks who aren't going to be, contary to the way they are shown currently, having the best of the best.

The ship is not meant to be standing up to bigger vessels. It scouts around, attacks if needed etc...think more like a US Coast Guard Cutter type of vessel. This is not a slugger or even a long term line vessel.
Karagin

Karagin
12/09/09 05:20 PM

Thank you for the points of reference/ideas for changes. I will look into them and see if things can be adjusted.

On point 2, I disagree with you on it. I do not see pirates having the best of the best, and even then the odds of their ships working 100% is going to rare if at all.

So in my opinion the two groups would have equal tech base to fight each other.

Armor thresholds on a certain ships is a defeated point no matter what. I am not trying to build a flying mech.

Given that most ships can do 40 points per firing on average, rough guess, then to counter that, any thing flying would need 60 or more points of armor, thus we have things that would fall into the flying tank ideal, which becomes redunant and overkill after awhile.

As I said the idea is for the customs inspectors to have something there to keep an eye on things and for the local system defense group to have a ship that can patrol, while not tying up their aerospace assets to this kind of work all the time.
Karagin

Karagin
12/09/09 05:24 PM

On the point of the VSTOL gear, I know it's not official for the Small craft. The idea was to give it some kind of hover ability, this may help or it may not, picture the SLAVE 1 ship from SW, same set up in how it flies, but now picture that vessel with the ability to hover while in an atmosphere of a planet, that is what I was trying to go for.
Karagin

Karagin
12/09/09 05:30 PM

Okay small changes, nothing radical:

Code:
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Stingray Assault Ship 2
Tech: Inner Sphere / 2582

Mass: 110 tons
Length: 23 meters
Safe Thrust: 7
Armament:
1 Medium Laser
3 Small Laser
Class/Model/Name: Stingray Assault Ship 2
Mass: 110 tons

Power Plant, Drive & Control: 50.50
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 7
Structural Integrity: 18 10.00
Total Heat Sinks: 3 Single 3.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 1.00
Armor Type: Standard (104 total armor pts) 2.00
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 26
Left/Right Wings: 26/26
Aft: 26

Cargo:
Bay 1: Cargo (1) with 1 door 6.00

Crew and Passengers:
3 Crew (3 minimum) 21.00
1 Gunners (1 minimum) 7.00
1 Small Laser RW 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 Small Laser LW 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 Small Laser Aft 3 -- -- -- 1 .50
1 VSTOL 1.50
TOTALS: Heat: 6 110.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 8,397,824 C-Bills
Battle Value: 290
Cost per BV: 28,958.01
Weapon Value: 658 (Ratio = 2.27)
Damage Factors: SRV = 6; MRV = 0; LRV = 0; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 1,796
(1,012 Structure, 705 Life Support, 79 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 3,152 (176% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 7, Armor/Structure: 3 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: DS; Point Value: 3

On a side note this moves faster then a Union.
Karagin

Karagin
12/09/09 05:33 PM

Okay, I have another ship along the same idea as the Stingray, is this one more do able being used in the same role as I intended for the Stingray?

Code:
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Skipray Class Partol Ship GAT-12j
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3067
Rules: Level 2, Standard design

Mass: 150 tons
Length: 27 meters
Safe Thrust: 6
Maximum Thrust: 9
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum
Armament: None
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Class/Model/Name: Skipray Class Partol Ship GAT-12j
Mass: 150 tons

Power Plant, Drive & Control: 58.50
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 6
Maximum Thrust: 9
Structural Integrity: 10 7.50
Total Heat Sinks: 0 Double .00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 1.50
Food & Water: (33 days supply) .50
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum (246 total armor pts) 11.50
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 75
Left/Right Wings: 58/58
Aft: 55

Cargo:
Bay 1: Cargo (1) with 1 door 20.00

Crew and Passengers:
3 Crew (3 minimum) 21.00
TOTALS: Heat: 0 126.00
Tons Left: 24.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 7,276,080 C-Bills
Battle Value: 512
Cost per BV: 14,211.09
Weapon Value: 0 (Ratio = .00)
Damage Factors: SRV = 0; MRV = 0; LRV = 0; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 1,512
(777 Structure, 735 Life Support, 0 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 2,364 (156% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 6, Armor/Structure: 6 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: -/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: DS; Point Value: 5

Karagin

Zandel_Corrin
12/09/09 06:33 PM

Thanks for that cray,

The TRO i have says 18, 18 and 10

not sure why that is....

It's TRO: 3025 Revised
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
12/09/09 07:26 PM

Quote:

As I said the idea is for the customs inspectors to have something there to keep an eye on things

It can do that now, yep.

Quote:

and for the local system defense group to have a ship that can patrol, while not tying up their aerospace assets to this kind of work all the time.

That's a bit different than what you said in your first post ("anti-pirate" stands out), but I'll note that clarification.

Quote:

So in my opinion the two groups would have equal tech base to fight each other.

I agree with the literal meaning of your statement. Pirates are likely to have L1 technology or whatever it is they took when they ran from the Inner Sphere. This means L1 BattleMechs, L1 aerospace fighters, and L1 DropShips of the sorts found in TR:3025, DropShips & JumpShips, and the "obsolete" (3025) models in TR:3057R - and, yes, in poor repair.

Quote:

On point 2, I disagree with you on it. I do not see pirates having the best of the best, and even then the odds of their ships working 100% is going to rare if at all.

I never said "best of the best." The only explicit description of gear quality I gave was, "civilian ships like a Mule or Buccaneer." I agree pirates will only have half-functional, low tech crap - 3025 'Mechs with busted heat sinks and gyro damage; 3025 aerospace fighters with engine damage and half their weapons gone; 3025 DropShips barely able to make one last raid.

There are only so many canonical options for delivering pirates from their home system to your defended system, and they all grossly outgun and out-armor this patrol craft even when in poor repair. Coming into firing range of a busted-ass pirate Mule-class DropShip (a civilian freighter that pirates would probably try to press into use when their military ships die) will get the patrol boat killed.

5 more tons of armor would fix that problem while leaving your vessel a long way from "flying tank."

Quote:

I am not trying to build a flying mech.

That's perfectly fair. Like I said, I heartily approve of the concept you're trying to implement here. However, you haven't even met your own goals of being an anti-pirate vessel. It can be a watchdog and customs unit, but there are no canon pirate threats (short of light L1 fighters) that it can best.

Quote:

Armor thresholds on a certain ships is a defeated point no matter what.

True - but it's also quite easy to avoid unnecessary defeats of the armor threshold, and your design has unnecessarily low armor, low enough that nuisance hits that anything should be able to ignore can crit it.

21 points of armor per location - 5 more per location - would let your vessel shrug off nuisance threats like MGs and flamers, while stopping the first AC/20 from a decrepit pirate Union. If your vessel ran away immediately, it'd have a fair chance of surviving.

31 points per location lets your vessel survive several hits from common fighter and DropShip weaponry, long enough to use its superior speed to run, and avoid crits from light weapons like small lasers. 31 points is enough to let it fight for a while, too, if it can't outrun the pirates.

31 points is not heavy armor by aerospace fighter standards. You have HMA - look up the 3025 Sparrowhawk, 3025 Sholgar, 3025 Lightning, and 3025 Transit. Those are light and medium fighters of unexceptional performance, and pirates are likely to have generic fighters like the Lightning and Transit.

Quote:

Given that most ships can do 40 points per firing on average, rough guess, then to counter that,

It's not that bad. On the turn it hits, a typical pirate fighter will only be doing 8 to 15 points of damage. But that does mean it only needs 2-3 hits (likely over 8 to 10 turns) to destroy your vessel, while your patrol craft would need over a dozen hits to get through a medium fighter's nose armor.

DropShips are more likely to hit per turn because they have more bays to fire per turn, but a typical pirate vessel like a 3025 Leopard has bays ranging from 12 to 20 points of damage at short range. If it isn't the first hit that gets your patrol craft, it'll be the second. Even civilian DropShips like the Mule will make short work of it.

It doesn't have to be that way, and you don't have to get to "tank" levels to avoid those problems. Just getting to a modest, 3025-era light fighter level of protection would be sufficient - 31 to 41 points per location would let this be a useful anti-pirate vessel.

Quote:

any thing flying would need 60 or more points of armor, thus we have things that would fall into the flying tank ideal, which becomes redunant and overkill after awhile.

60 points isn't "flying tank," it's "standard medium fighter nose armor." The flying tanks like the Slayer and Riever have 80 to 100 points on the nose.

CrayModerator
12/09/09 07:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that cray,

The TRO i have says 18, 18 and 10

not sure why that is....

It's TRO: 3025 Revised

TR:3025R is a 1996 FASA publication, which puts it in the BattleSpace era. DropShips had changed to capital scale notation then.

Zandel_Corrin
12/10/09 01:55 AM

that explains it then.

ty
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12309

Contact Admins Sarna.net