Any Requests?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bob_Richter
06/12/09 02:13 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
dude, if I had some groundbreaking idea for a 'Mech design (that I somehow haven't made in the last 17 years) I'm pretty sure I'd do it myself rather than handing the idea over to the likes of you. :P

But here's one you may not have a lot of in your catalogue: Light Trooper.
Preferably long-range. Max (or near-max. About a half-ton of flex, to make sure you're making the best use of armor tonnage) chassis armor. Solid damage, but no XL or Light Engine. Should have jump jets with at least 4 walk MP.

There's at least one canon design that fits that description. Let's see you top it.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
06/12/09 02:38 AM

FWIW, though, there should be some melting around the explosion site, from thermal transfer. :P

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Bob_Richter
06/12/09 02:40 AM

Since when is thread hijacking against the rules? I thought it was pretty much the norm.

Venom
06/13/09 04:07 AM

Sounds like a Panther Bob.
Lafeel
06/13/09 03:43 PM

Quote:

dude, if I had some groundbreaking idea for a 'Mech design (that I somehow haven't made in the last 17 years) I'm pretty sure I'd do it myself rather than handing the idea over to the likes of you. :P

But here's one you may not have a lot of in your catalogue: Light Trooper.
Preferably long-range. Max (or near-max. About a half-ton of flex, to make sure you're making the best use of armor tonnage) chassis armor. Solid damage, but no XL or Light Engine. Should have jump jets with at least 4 walk MP.

There's at least one canon design that fits that description. Let's see you top it.

shameless plug
Bob_Richter
06/13/09 05:29 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a Panther Bob.

Yes.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Most possible roles for a 'Mech have at least one canon example. The Panther is one way to do this, but there are other ways.

Venom
06/14/09 04:39 AM

Wow Bob, getting crotchety with old age? Tell me, are you yelling at the kids to "get off the damn lawn"?
Bob_Richter
06/14/09 06:49 AM

Actually, age has mellowed me considerably. That's my version of being friendly. :P

CrayModerator
06/14/09 02:45 PM

Bob is being good by his standards.

Still, watch the "Captain Obvious" and "Crotchety" comments.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
12/17/09 06:46 PM

Thread necromancy!!!

Found a good laser reference, "Lasers and Their Applications," edited by Alberto Sona. It's available on Google Books for preview.

The chapter "Machining with Lasers", by Dieter Roess, addresses evaporation and explosions created by lasers on metals:

For a sufficiently low power flux the thin surface layer will be heated to the fluid state but will stay beyond the evaporation temperature, while the solid-fluid interface will slowly progress into the bulk material by heat conduction. In iron the typical progress rate is about 10^-2 cm/ms, and the power flux for this situation may be around 10^6 W/cm^2. [...]

At a somewhat higher power flux, between 10^6 to 10^8 W/cm^2 [sic], the thin absorbing surface layer is heated up to its evaporation temperature before the solid-fluid interface has progressed appreciably into the material by heat conduction. Thus, with continuing laser power, a less than μ-thick layer of material will continually evaporate, with the material-air interface progressing into the material. Typically a gas jet develops [...]. The gas jet ejects also part of the molten material, thus that the progress rate of the hole is faster than with evaporation of all the material. [...]

At a still higher flux of 10^9 to 10^10 Wcm-2, after initial evaporation of the surface layer, the gas jet is thermally ionized and absorbs most of the incident radiation, which is such blocked away from the material. The surface layer explodes with an ultrasonic jet, its temperature may rise beyond [10,000C], its pressure beyond [1000 atmospheres].

Bang, baby. The second paragraph addresses the "keyholing" effect used in laser welding, while the third paragraph addresses how laser shock peening works. And when you're dumping tens of megajoules into a target in a few seconds, you're not going to avoid ferocious explosions.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
12/17/09 07:38 PM

How about a better version of the Ostol?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
12/17/09 10:49 PM

Quote:

Drop two rear-firing lasers for more armor.

It can now run-alpha at only +4 (like a WHM and it's PPC's) and carries more armor. At that speed, for the era it would be pretty nice.
Karagin
12/18/09 09:12 AM

Right...Alpha strikes are not my cup of tea and with the group I game with they never get used.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
12/18/09 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Drop two rear-firing lasers for more armor.

It can now run-alpha at only +4 (like a WHM and it's PPC's) and carries more armor. At that speed, for the era it would be pretty nice.

EDIT:

Actually, An alpha would go +8. Still, using a pattern of twin LL's and then an LL/ML x2 combo in any situation would be some heavy firepower.

Kinda funny how a level 1 could be a useful 'mech for TSM.
Tripod
12/20/09 04:29 AM

Aren't all those lasers torso mounted?
mmm...tsm...mmm
TBA
Prince_of_Darkness
12/21/09 12:05 PM

Quote:

Aren't all those lasers torso mounted?
mmm...tsm...mmm

It's also a 60-tonner.

I like where this is headed!
Tripod
12/21/09 11:35 PM

Sounds yummy... Hope it's not the rigged TSM!
TBA
Prince_of_Darkness
12/22/09 01:31 AM

The Ostsol ain't cappellan
Tripod
12/24/09 05:01 AM

Not to say you would not see one there, right?

on that subject... [See New Post]...
TBA
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 19952

Contact Admins Sarna.net