What were they thinking when.....?

Pages: 1
LAMdriver
12/24/09 07:58 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Ok, Something has been bothering me with some of the decisions that the leaders of the Fourth Sucsession Wars. Mainly the decision for the FC to invade the Cappellen Confed.

Well lets see...You have the DC surrounded by two large military forces, targets to distract them in your employment (Wolf's Dragoons and the Kell Hounds), and a pretty brilliant Commander-in-Chief (Hanse)...and you attck the CC as an act of revenge for trying to replace you, and furtherest from half of your availible forces.

If I was Hanse, I would have kick the hell out of the DC and conquered them first then worried about the CC later. The CC were pretty much a joke at this time anyway.

Any other situations like this you can think of that makes you go "whaaaaat?"
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Karagin
12/24/09 10:10 PM

Yes and no. Kurtia was expecting an attack, Hanse knew this, he also knew it would be a long bitter, drawn out fight that would bleed both the Suns and the Commonwealth white.

Even with the feud that Theo's daddy had with the Dragoons and the Hounds, that didn't mean the rest of the DCMS was sitting around playing pick up sticks. They could fight, granted it was a by a well versed and well know book, but one that worked well enough for them to keep two power houses at bay for centuries.

With Kurtia allying his realm with Laio and Marik, he insured that if anyone attacked him they would still need to watch their borders. By taking out the weaker of three, Hanse knew that if he could remove the CapCon, then he would have the time later to remove the threat of of Draconian Combine, since he would have the assets of the CapCon major industrial worlds, and to steal a point that is so easily to show how another group pulls of their actions, he would have the manpower of these new worlds and systems to bolster his military, PLUS he would have proven his new ideas on how to conduct war, well old ones really, but why point out the obsessive in a universe where a single lance of mechs can take and hold a planet, thus his military would have the experience that would be lacking of the Combines troops.

Also using the Commonwealth troops to make attacks into a region that was openly hostile to the Combine, he kept them off balance and seeing no threat forming on their FedSuns border, other then the Dragoons, they could then move a bulk of their forces to keep the surprise-lying effective Lyrans at bay, the same group who were getting military aid and advisors from the Suns, which they put to use against the Combine.

Meanwhile, the CapCon felt the brunt of the Suns military and skillful use of triple agents and other special operations, and they fell apart.

The idea that a lot of that was for revenge over the attempts to remove Hanse with a double is believe in that it normally doesn't take much for leaders to go charging off after those they see as their enemies or their nations enemies. Take a look at world history, you will find that most leaders don't need much to sell their respective nations on a path of war or conquest.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
12/24/09 10:14 PM

If I remember correctly, one of the biggest reasons why we invaded the CC was because the DC formed the FRR and created a buffer state that the Lyran's couldn't pass through. They also invaded the CC because it would remove a thorn from Hansas' side- the CC was still somewhat dangerous, so he decided to sack em' as a display of the Federated Commonwealth's power.
Karagin
12/24/09 10:31 PM

The FRR came AFTER the invasion of the CapCon not during and it also happen AFTER the Lyrans had taken most of the district that made up FRR worlds. So really they cut their loses and forced the Lyrans to either give up the worlds to the FRR or become mired down like the Combine had been.

Check the novel Heir to the Dragon as well as the 20 Year Update, the two 4th Succession War Atlas books and some of the newer House Sourcebooks that are out to get a better understanding about the FRR and it's role in the 4th War.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
12/25/09 11:31 AM

Quote:

The FRR came AFTER the invasion of the CapCon not during and it also happen AFTER the Lyrans had taken most of the district that made up FRR worlds. So really they cut their loses and forced the Lyrans to either give up the worlds to the FRR or become mired down like the Combine had been.

Check the novel Heir to the Dragon as well as the 20 Year Update, the two 4th Succession War Atlas books and some of the newer House Sourcebooks that are out to get a better understanding about the FRR and it's role in the 4th War.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

Just for the record- I really shouldn't try thinking about a game universe's storyline after surgery
Karagin
12/25/09 12:10 PM

What kind of surgery? Is everything okay?
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
12/25/09 10:04 PM

Since it's an actual surgical procedure, I don't think it's a bad think to talk about here.

My procedure involved forcing an undescended, damaged testicle into my scrotum, whereupon it would form scar tissue to "anchor" itself into place. It was a product of a botched hernia repair back when I was three months old, and had to be done on the 24th yesterday.

It not only means I can barely walk and can't have any real activity with my legs for several weeks- the Hydocodone APAP they put me on is rather... powerful. I'm literally going to be stoned for christmas.

All the snow and no travel had no effect- because of it we were going to put off our family Christmas until New Years Eve/day anyway
Karagin
12/26/09 12:02 PM

Glad to hear things came out for the better. Sounds painful. Glad to hear also that you are doing well and things are going all well enough.

Enjoy Christmas, it is fun no matter what day it happens to be.

Looking forward to a speedy recovery and seeing more postings in the future.

Happy Holidays.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6490

Contact Admins Sarna.net