Pirates

Pages: 1
Xeriv
12/29/09 02:25 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey, I'm currently working on a short campaign that involves hunting down some pirates with a merc unit. From reading about the pirates and other periphery forces I've drawn two separate conclusions. (Keep in mind this is going for as realistic as possible)

The first is that because Battlemechs are like the pinnacle of ground warfare, pirates and periphery units relied more heavily on the easier to manufacture vehicles. The second was that pirates liked to use mechs, because they were easier to coordinate logistically, because they required fewer crew, and that they were better for raiding.

Keeping these things in mind, I'm trying to create a small pirate force with realistic damage due to lack of supplies and/or technical support.

So with these things in mind I'd like to make a unit for a fair fight with two groups.

1. Two lances of mixed medium and heavy mechs with veteran pilots.

2. One assault lance with elite pilots.

The era is about 3058, so I'd think mostly 3025 designs or 3025 designs with upgrades. This is about the same technology as the merc unit.

Feel free to get creative a little creative, but don't get too uber on me. The purpose is to have a fair, semi-realistic fight not annihilate the merc unit we put together so laboriously.
Karagin
12/29/09 10:18 AM

Sounds fair enough.

A good force would be:

Assassin
Shadow Hawk
Clint
Grasshopper

Assault Lance:
Victor (3050 upgrade)
Warhammer
Ostol
Rifleman

Hope these help.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
12/29/09 12:57 PM

Quote:

Keeping these things in mind, I'm trying to create a small pirate force with realistic damage due to lack of supplies and/or technical support.

So with these things in mind I'd like to make a unit for a fair fight with two groups.

1. Two lances of mixed medium and heavy mechs with veteran pilots.

2. One assault lance with elite pilots.

Fluff wise, the most pirate's have ever had were heavy 'mechs. Even for 3050+ pirates, twelve 'mechs of any sort would be a major force on level of pirate kings, not a standard force. Hell, in 3025 periphery forces like the brotherhood of Randis only had 12 'mechs.
If you want such a large force, you are going to have to come up with a lot of explanations- like have most of the heavies and assaults be more "vanilla" 'mechs like Ostsols and Chargers, each probably having some problem with them (missing armor, damaged engines, ect.).
However, if I were you, I would change your lances completely. I would have one lance of light's, one of mixed light-medium, and the final being a single heavy leading two mediums and a light.
Tripod
12/30/09 05:10 AM

I like the reworked lances better. I dont see pirates coming across too many hard hitting mechs.

BUT!!!

I would make that single heavy a good mech, some people, even pirates, get lucky sometimes!

This is all dependant on what the merc unit consists of... like you said, you dont want to obliterate them... not at first... : )
TBA
Xeriv
12/30/09 02:31 PM

The lances I first put up their were the lances that were going to fight pirates, and they came about from one of our notoriously lucky friends rolling an elite assault lance. It's kinda funny because at the beginning we had about two lances of regular/veteran light mechs, a lance of veteran medium mechs, and a lance of elite assault mechs. But I really do like the idea of countering them with a larger force of light/medium mechs with a heavy leading them.

Also one thing I never understood about pirates was that if they had things like jumpships and dropships, why were mechs so hard to come by? They're much cheaper.

And also to make the engagement a little bit more canonically correct, think I should throw in some vehicles? Maybe like some light hover tanks?
Tripod
01/03/10 03:42 AM

On the drop/jump ships vs no mechs...

I would think... Drop/jump ships generally stay out of combat, basicly once you own it, you've got it for good, less normal wear and tear. The jump ships are right out as targets anyways. Mechs on the other hand expect damage on every outing keeping repair supplies at next to nothing. Just my opinion....
TBA
LAMdriver
01/07/10 01:42 AM

And just to really throw your Pirate hunters off, put their best pilot(s) in some Clan Mechs. Pirates aways get Clan Mechs!!!....Its in the novels!!! Then watch your players go ape over these mechs. Pure enjoyment on your part.

Suggested Clan Mechs: Koshi (mist lynx), Mad Cat (timber wolf), Thor (summoner) and any second line mechs.

LOL
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks

Edited by LAMdriver (01/07/10 06:17 AM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7313

Contact Admins Sarna.net