Ah, the hassles of electronic warfare...

Pages: 1
PatrickLi
01/05/10 12:18 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a few questions regarding electronic warfare in the BT universe which I hope everyone can help shed some light on; it doesn't matter if the answer is based on tabletop rules, novels, etc. Just as long as it's generally accepted canon. (Gee, I wonder if all that typing made any sense to myself, let alone others... )

1) This sounds stupid... but how exactly does an ECM work, anyway? Does it, like, render you invisible on hostile radar until a certain distance? What's all this about an "ECM Umbrella" or jamming equipment? (Hmm... what exactly gets jammed by an ECM?)

2) Okay, so Active Probes can detect shutdown or camouflaged Mechs... so what about mechs with ECM? Was there also something about mechs without ECM hiding within the "Umbrella" of an ECM-equipped mech?

3) Does engaging an Active Probe negate the purpose/usefulness of an ECM Suite installed on the same Mech?

4) Watchdog CEWS? I've seen it floating around before... what's that?

5) And what's with the remote sensor drone in the MechWarrior:3015 computer game trailer? Is that, like, old technology used during the period of Lostech that the IS experienced? Are there any other references in official companions or novels about these drones, or did Piranha Games just throw in a little bit of creativity there when they made the trailer?

Thanks
Karagin
01/05/10 12:37 AM

The Active Probe would detect the ECM field, that is explained one of the rule books when describing the system.

ECM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_countermeasures

TO answer your third question, No.

Watchdog is a mixing of systems, it works better then the Active Probe and ECM, since they are combined and it can mimic the TAG system as well.

I would leave the computer game out of things until they bring the stuff over, and since it is in the computer yes it is highly likely it will be in the miniature game at some point.

I would also suggest buying the BattleTech Master Rules or the new 5 Core rule books they will help you better understand the game and give you the descriptions and rules of everything currently in the game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
PatrickLi
01/05/10 02:56 PM

Thanks heaps!
Karagin
01/05/10 03:22 PM

Glad to help.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5194

Contact Admins Sarna.net