STN-1 Stallion

Pages: 1
Zwischy
12/08/02 02:52 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I finally remembered this design that a buddy of mine - the one who first introduced me to Battletech - designed. For some damn reason, we (my other friends and I) could never figure out a way to beat this beast.

STN-1 Stallion
Tech level: 3025
Tonnage: 95

Walk: 2
Run: 3
Jump: 2

Total Heat Sinks: 20

Armor: 18 tons (nearly maxxed out)

Weapons/Ammo:
LRM 15 (1 ton ammo)
LRM 10 (1 ton ammo)
2 SRM 6 (1 ton ammo total)
Autocannon/20 (2 tons ammo)
Karagin
08/25/09 11:48 PM

Simple and brutal.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
08/26/09 05:32 AM

Run him out of ammo!
TBA
Karagin
01/11/10 12:14 AM

Right...that is a great idea... so they have to stay just in range but move fast enough to cause high to hit rolls, and do this for 8 to 50 turns...some how I don't see that happening.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
01/11/10 10:00 AM

Meh. Stay out of 9 hexes and he's basically a slower Atlas.
Karagin
01/11/10 01:36 PM

True, but he isn't going to run out of ammo anytime soon...
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
01/11/10 08:18 PM

8 rounds for LRM 15
12 rounds for LRM 10
7.5 Rounds for each SRM 6
10 Rounds for AC/20

Even if he picked his shots, he'd still be dry pretty fast- especially since his slow speed means that he might have to accept to-hit numbers that aren't so good.
Zandel_Corrin
01/11/10 10:33 PM

against a long range opponent that might be true but against anything med range or less (which is just about everything at L1 tech) then he can just wait till a good shot comes...

In any sort of hilly, foresty or city terrain it's an ok design.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Karagin
01/12/10 12:15 AM

So out of that he can still do a lot of damage, if he plays smart, I never said it was impossible to run him out of ammo, but let's be realistic about how folks play.

The SRMs and the AC20 is not going to be fired every turn, nor are the LRMs, due to things like not in range or to high of to hit numbers, so running this mech dry of ammo is not an easy task. A semi-decent player isn't going to go in guns blazing, no they will move and fire when it works for them, hit or miss they should be firing only when the numbers work for them, thus the fight will have to go over 12 rounds to even dent the ammo capaicity of this mech to the point of running something low on ammo and even then they still have other weapons to fall back on.

So I stand by my statement that the idea of trying to run this out of ammo is not valid tactic given how the game works. I believe you play MegaMek, put this mech in there and see if it runs out of ammo in under 12 rounds, or set up a real battle with another person and let them use this and see what happen.
Karagin

Karagin
01/12/10 12:21 AM

Just put this into Heavy Metal Pro, it comes up roughly 4 tons short of 95 tons...so if a player wanted, you could add an extra ton of ammo to each launcher and then toss in 2 medium lasers or 1 medium laser and another ton of SRM ammo or four small lasers etc...lot can be done with the remaining tonnage.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
01/14/10 12:46 AM

Jesus christ, I just realized that the original post was made in 2002. Wow.

Quote:

The SRMs and the AC20 is not going to be fired every turn, nor are the LRMs, due to things like not in range or to high of to hit numbers, so running this mech dry of ammo is not an easy task.

How so? He has 8 attempts with his LRM 15 and 12 with the LRM 10. Even if he picked his shots, as I pointed out, he would still run dry quickly.

Quote:

A semi-decent player isn't going to go in guns blazing, no they will move and fire when it works for them, hit or miss they should be firing only when the numbers work for them, thus the fight will have to go over 12 rounds to even dent the ammo capaicity of this mech to the point of running something low on ammo and even then they still have other weapons to fall back on.

Are you serious?

Okay then- he's effectively got 10 total combat rounds on average between his 2 brackets- a max of 12 at long, nothing at medium, and 10 at short (since both SRM's share one ton). Even with picking all of his shots, relying on good to-hits, and being generally smart, he's still got a whole 10 turns of shooting for each bracket- give or take.

And then there's his speed. 2/3/2 isn't exactly threatening now, is it? If he had other long range guns- PPC's, the consolidation (and increase in ammo) of LRM's- then he'd be more threatening. But at 2/3/2, and without medium range guns (or guns lacking ammo) a smaller 'mech can easily control any fight his gets into- a couple of Phoenix Hawks could easily take this guy; only issue being those missiles (which can be easily avoided with jumping and movement).

Yeah, sounds great.

Quote:

So I stand by my statement that the idea of trying to run this out of ammo is not valid tactic given how the game works. I believe you play MegaMek, put this mech in there and see if it runs out of ammo in under 12 rounds, or set up a real battle with another person and let them use this and see what happen.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh wait... you're serious... let me laugh even harder.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

So you're telling me the game is played with huge 'mechs only able to turn around while running, all the while plodding closer to each other to hopefully kill each other in extreme close range while energy weapons are completely ignored? Sounds great. Let me know how your "Real battles" go.

And besides; my tactic is not running him out of ammo; that's you putting words into my mouth. I said that I could stay out of his weapons range; It isn't friggin' hard.
Karagin
01/14/10 06:59 AM

I never said you couldn't stay out of his weapons range, I said YOU won't run him dry IF he knows how to use the mech correctly. Read what I post not what you think you see.

I also said everyone plays different, you may not let him use the weapons he has thus running in and staying that the minimum for the LRMs and then at long range for the SRMs, which is fine, thus he doesn't get to fire, and he doesn't run out of ammo either, which is what I pointing out.

Let's try this, how about BOTH of us check the attitudes at the door and stop this before it goes any further. Sound good to you?
Karagin

Edited by Karagin (01/14/10 12:04 PM)
CrayModerator
01/14/10 09:50 AM

Quote:

Let's try this, how about BOTH of us check the attitudes at the door and stop this before it goes any further. Sound good to you?

[Mod hat] Seconded. [/Mod hat]
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Prince_of_Darkness
01/14/10 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[Mod hat] Seconded. [/Mod hat]

Thirded (?)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7187

Contact Admins Sarna.net