ISHG PXH-(1/2/X) Eliz Phoenix Hawk LAM

Pages: 1
CYBRN4CR
01/30/10 01:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Continued from the Various Upgraded Designs thread.

This thread examines the Inner Sphere Honor Guard's only Phoenix Hawk LAM, and its use from 3050 to 3081 and beyond.

History:

After suffering heavy losses and losing Gen. Alexander (the old CO) to Clan Jade Falcon forces on Coventry, the ISHG retreated to its home in Caselton to lick its wounds. Also lost to the fighting, was Hikari, Eliz's mother - also an ace pilot. Since that day Eliz has turned her feelings into a desire to become the best pilot in the Inner Sphere. And she succeeded. To honor the death of her mother, and recognize the talent in Eliz, Jonas, the son of Alex and new CO, contacted his mother Nora, a FedCom/Sun senator to find a way to give her a mech worthy of her talent. With the political leverage and funding power only a senator has, one was granted to the unit for Eliz to pilot.

Understanding the need to upgrade old designs with new tech, along with the difficulty of handling a complex and delicate chassis, and the sensitivity of such specialized mechs, Jonas got all three companies on Tikonov to come together and agree to jointly help with upgrading the design while keeping the functionality and secrecy of the mech intact. Thus Eliz got her mech, along with her ability to fly as high as her mother did.

Below are the MegaMek condensed readouts of the designs (less redundancy and clutter).

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PXH-1 Eliz (~3050)
50 tons IS TW non-box set

Movement: 6/9/6
Engine: 300 XL
Heat Sinks: 12 [24]

Internal: 83 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 169/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)
HD: 3 9
CT: 16 24 ( 8)
RT: 12 16 ( 8)
LT: 12 16 ( 8)
RA: 8 16
LA: 8 16
RL: 12 24
LL: 12 24

ER PPC [RA] 15 Heat
TAG [HD] 0 Heat

Targeting Computer [RT]
C3 Slave [CT]
LAM Conversion Equipment [...]

BV: 1,298 Cost: 12,618,750 Cbills

This design served Eliz well, and has not undergone any major changes until the Jihad years, when the WoB conflict and emerging technology prompted Jonas and Eliz to upgrade the design. This resulted in Eliz's PXH-2.

During the design process, there was a crucial turning point with the advent of stealth armor. With most of the unit's pilots having high accuracy at that point, there was less of a need for network tactics, and more a need to reduce the return fire which was hurting the unit's effectiveness. Thus, the unit removed the C3 systems and heavy Targeting Computers in favor of the stealth system. Thankfully, the pilots didn't mind, and actually retained some of the networking tactics from before, despite the loss of the shared telemetry.

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PXH-2 Eliz (~3070)
50 tons IS advanced

Heat Sinks: 13 [26]
Targ Sys: Long Range Targeting

Internal: 83 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 169/169 (Stealth)

ER PPC [RA] 15 Heat
TAG [HD] 0 Heat

Stealth [LL/...]
Guardian ECM Suite [CT]

BV: 1,383 Cost: 13,173,750 Cbills

When the Jihad ended in 3081, the unit upgraded again with technology that builds upon the Jihad designs, resulting in very advanced designs, sporting technology such as reverse-engineered Void Sig systems, perfected Angel ECMs and CASEIIs. Below is Eliz's final Phoenix Hawk LAM design, the PXH-X.

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PXH-X Eliz (~3081)
50 tons IS experimental

Heat Sinks: 13 [26]
Gyro: Compact Gyro
Targ Sys: Long Range Targeting

Internal: 83 (Composite)
Armor: 169/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)

ER PPC [RA] 15 Heat
TAG [HD] 0 Heat

Void Signature System [LL/...]
Angel ECM Suite [CT]

BV: 1,442 Cost: 17,217,500 Cbills

To this day (Dark Age), the ISHG serves the Republic of the Sphere as a peacekeeping force.

More mechs to follow in separate threads.

May the discussing begin!
Karagin
01/30/10 03:51 AM

Okay...It is a LAM, which we all know are so rare that those that own them do not want to use them, yes I know they are bringing them into the game, but for a merc unit to have one...even a high class one is pushing things. The cost is going to be a killer, but enough on that.

Your take on improving the P-Hawk LAM are well rounded and stay with in your ideas for the force you want to build. I have noticed that some times folks will say they use XYZ and only that and then build monsters that use everything but what they said, you have not done this. Here you have an excellent scout and raider. Nice job.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
01/30/10 12:48 PM

Well, funny you should say what you did. I do know the story of the LAM and its rarity. However, what turned all that on its head was this one time I read a Battletech fanfic in which the main character piloted a Phoenix Haw LAM. After questioning the author about the mech choices, he wrote that he wanted his characters to pilot mechs that reflected the character's personality. So if one character was prone to overheating, he gave them a Warhammer. If another was a sword fanatic, they piloted a mech that had a sword. The pilot that had the LAM had an "anything goes" philosophy to fighting, matching the adaptability of the mech with the pilot.

This intrigued me, and after I finished his fanfic, I wanted to use the same principles when I chose the personal mechs of my characters.

In Eliz's case, since her mom Hikari was an ace Aerospace pilot, she was given a mech that could become an Aerospace fighter if need be. She wasn't given an aerospace fighter because of how vulnerable Aerospace fighters are when compared to Battlemechs. Thus, the hybrid LAM was chosen for her.

As for the rarity and expense, this is the EXACT reason why Jonas' mom Nora is a FedCom/Sun senator, to support the unit with her influence and provide rare techs, special access to factories, and funding wherever possible. Of course, the unit pays for its daily expenses, and replacement mechs whenever needed. It's just when the unit needs special attention, or funding to upgrade its designs is when Nora comes in to fund such endeavors to keep the unit going strong.

Where do you think the ISHG got its Invader-class Jumpship and 3 upgraded Union dropships from?
CYBRN4CR
01/31/10 10:36 PM

Errata: The Jade Falcon assault on Coventry was in 3058, IS Targeting Computers came out in 3062 at the start of the Fed Com civil war, and the ISHG's first batch upgrade wasn't until 3068 around the start of the Jihad. This means the "1" variant is a 3062 design, and the "2" variant is a 3068 design.

Guess I needed to check the history more.
CYBRN4CR
02/02/10 04:30 PM

If anyone's wondering rule-wise on how I'm incorporating a LAM into the game, I simply am eliminating the airmech mode entirely, giving it an ASF thrust bonus of (JJets + 2 = Thrust) making it an 8/12 in ASF mode, and giving it standard mech hit locations and internal structure.

I read this somewhere and I thought it was effective.
Karagin
02/02/10 05:08 PM

If it works for you. They will be putting out new rules for them and we will see what changes, but if your ideas work, keep using them.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
06/07/10 01:24 AM

After some playtesting, I decided to completely redesign all of my unit's mechs. Taking heat and range into consideration, these redesigns reflect the times when they were produced better than their previous incarnations.

Well enough of that, onto my designs!

Unlike a lot of the other mechs of the unit, Eliz's Phoenix Hawk has a 300 XL engine - which it keeps throughout the rest of its upgrades. On any other mech, this would be a risky move, but on the LAM it makes sense as it is already vulnerable to any side torso loss. Pairing the engine with other weight saving measures, and mounting two recently introduced ER Medium Lasers, Eliz's LAM was able to get a nice boost in firepower compared to its old incarnations. Rounding out the mech is a C3 Slave to assist other networked units, and a TAG to help with spotting enemy units for guided munitions. Normally this would leave the mech a few tons underweight, but Eliz opted to fill the remaining tonnage with more fuel for longer missions.

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PHX-HK1 Eliz

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 3058
Cost: 10,305,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,424

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 64.5 km/h
Maximum Speed: 96.75 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 ER PPC
2 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 C3 Computer (Slave)
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 83 points 2.50
Internal Locations: 4 LT, 4 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 300 9.50
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 6 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 3 LT, 3 RT 3.00
Heat Sinks: Double 12(24) 2.00
Gyro: Standard Gyro 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 169 9.50
Armor Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT, 3 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 24
Center Torso (rear) 8
L/R Torso 12 16
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 8 16
L/R Leg 12 24

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER PPC RA 15 3 7.00
2 ER Medium Lasers LA 10 2 2.00
C3 Computer (Slave) CT 0 1 1.00
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 6 Points: 14
6j 2 2 1 0 2 0 Structure: 2
Special Abilities: TAG, C3S, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA

Keeping the pattern with the rest of the unit's mechs, the next upgrade gives the LAM Stealth armor for valuable protection. Unfortunately, the cockpit had to be made smaller to grant enough tonnage to mount the system. On a lighter note, the C3 slave was replaced with another ER Medium Laser for additional firepower.

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PHX-HK3 Eliz

Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 10,815,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,589

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Armor: Unknown Stealth Armor
Armament:
1 ER PPC
3 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 Guardian ECM Suite

Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 83 points 2.50
Internal Locations: 4 LT, 4 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA
Gyro: Standard Gyro 3.00
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Armor: Stealth Armor AV - 168 10.50
Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 24
Center Torso (rear) 7
L/R Torso 12 16
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 8 16
L/R Leg 12 24

ER PPC RA 15 3 7.00
3 ER Medium Lasers LA 15 3 3.00
Guardian ECM Suite CT 0 2 1.50
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 1

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 6 Points: 16
6j 2 2 1 0 2 1 Structure: 2
Special Abilities: ECM, STL, TAG, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA

When the ISHG was able to capture and produce working Void Sigs and Angel ECMs, all the units mechs were upgraded to the max with other perfected technology to create a force that can strike virtually undetected. Unfortunately, the Jihad ended before they could be put to use against the WoB. However, they served the unit well in the years that followed.

Here is the final upgrade.

Code:
Phoenix Hawk LAM PHX-HKX Eliz

Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F
Production Year: 3081
Cost: 15,521,250 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,702

Chassis: Unknown Composite Structure
Armor: Unknown Heavy Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 ER PPC
3 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 Angel ECM

Internal Structure: Composite Structure 83 points 2.50
Gyro: Compact Gyro 4.50
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Fibrous AV - 168 8.50
Armor Locations: 1 CT, 5 LT, 5 RT, 4 LA, 4 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 24
Center Torso (rear) 7
L/R Torso 12 16
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 8 16
L/R Leg 12 24

ER PPC RA 15 3 7.00
3 ER Medium Lasers LA 15 3 3.00
Angel ECM CT 0 2 2.00
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
Void Signature System * 10 7 0.00
Free Critical Slots: 1

* The Void Signature System occupies 1 slot in every location except the HD.

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 6 Points: 17
6j 2 2 1 0 2 1 Structure: 2
Special Abilities: MAS, TAG, AECM, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA

I know I took a lot of liberties with this mech, but if you guys see any room for improvement, feel free to let me know.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5701

Contact Admins Sarna.net