Marauder IIC (Custom)

Pages: 1
CYBRN4CR
02/13/10 01:55 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
These next series of threads examine some of my redesigned 3050 Clan mechs, and their potential utility among the Clans.

This thread examines my redesigned Marauder IIC.

Stats are shown in MegaMek condensed style to reduce clutter.

Code:
Marauder IIC (Custom)
85 tons Clan TW

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 340 XL
Heat Sinks: 17 [34]

Internal: 130 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 263/263 (Ferro-Fibrous)
HD: 3 9
CT: 27 45 ( 9)
RT: 18 28 ( 8)
LT: 18 28 ( 8)
RA: 14 28
LA: 14 28
RL: 18 36
LL: 18 36

Gauss Rifle [LA] 1 Heat
Gauss Rifle [RA] 1 Heat
ER Medium Laser [LT] 5 Heat
ER Medium Laser [RT] 5 Heat
ER PPC [CT] 15 Heat
ER Medium Laser [HD] 5 Heat

Gauss Ammo (8) [LA]
Gauss Ammo (8) [LA]
Gauss Ammo (8) [LA]
Gauss Ammo (8) [RA]
Gauss Ammo (8) [RA]
Gauss Ammo (8) [RA]

BV: 2,921 Cost: 21,221,659 Cbills

This one was interesting. With the inclusion of the XL engine, it freed up tonnage for the Gausses in each arm. Removing the appropriate heat sinks for ammo and armor, the rest of the space went to turning the mixed ER small laser/Med pulse laser combo into a triple ER med laser combo for range.

I think it's pretty good.
Karagin
02/13/10 01:58 PM

Would not two tons per Gauss be enough? Having the extra isn't going to gain you a thing in a fight other then taking shots to waste ammo it's not needed.

Also the Marauder IIC is a second line mech, keeping that in mind you might not find many around here who are going to like it have all the goodies of Clan tech on it.

Let me guess your retake on the Stone Rhino has it getting four gauss rifles and either a Large Pulse laser or ER PPC along full armor enough heat sinks to fire the energy weapon all day long?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
02/13/10 11:32 PM

I go by the rule of 24 shots when it comes to Gauss Rifles and LRMs (25 for SRMs and 30 for Autocannons)

This is so the firepower lasts as long as it can without going overboard. Any less than that is not enough in a standard battle scenario.

I know it's a second-line mech, but that doesn't mean it can't be modified to fix some of its weaknesses.

Quote:

Let me guess your retake on the Stone Rhino has it getting four gauss rifles and either a Large Pulse laser or ER PPC along full armor enough heat sinks to fire the energy weapon all day long?

Probably. I think mine had four ERPPCs and two Gausses, but we'll see.
Karagin
02/14/10 01:34 AM

So 16 shots per gun is not going to last in a standard battle scenario? Are you sure you are playing the board game and not still trying to play MegaMek?

16 shots for each of the Gauss rifles is more then enough to last a standard BOARD GAME battle. Hell most of the time the game is over with before you even come close to using all of the rounds.

What weakness did it have? The Dragoons used it with IS tech and didn't seem to find it wanting, and the CANON Clan upgrade to it didn't make radical changes, it improved on what was they by swapping tech base.

Really you may want to rethink your ammo allotments by looking at the canon mechs and how some of the rest of us do the ammo.
Karagin

CYBRN4CR
02/14/10 05:36 AM

Quote:

What weakness did it have?

Heat and armor.

And the fact that more tonnage could be saved by switching to an XL engine. I didn't even change its engine rating here like I did the other mechs (although I probably could have).

Either way, I think I kept to the design well enough, and gave it plenty of ammo to take chances with those gausses (since the arm weapons aren't ppcs anymore).

And unless I missed something, MegaMek and the boardgame are played exactly the same way, with DICE. So 16 shots may be fine for you, but it's not fine for me. So that's why I design my mechs this way.
Karagin
02/14/10 05:40 AM

Maxing out the armor and removing the overheating is something that DOES fall into the land of munchkins. Great you didn't use an XL engine, you still took the mech out of the realm of having a few flaws and turning into something munchkins and power gamers would use.

Mega Mek isn't the same as the board game, the computer will never be the same a human opponent since there is nothing there to make up for a mistake or a conservative player who is more in to take less a direct attack and more into tactics.

The computer game rolls are not the same as the guy or gal sitting across the table rolling different variables and such.
Karagin

CYBRN4CR
02/14/10 07:05 AM

Well, then I converted it from a second-line mech to a front-line mech. No biggie.

Whether you play a computer player or not, you are still playing the board game. It's just digitally enhanced for speed of calculation.

BTW, I did use an XL engine. I just didn't change it from the 4/6 it already was.

It's not even about being munchy, it's about being SMART with mech design. No matter who uses it, you still can't complain about a well-designed mech. And in my book, that equals full armor, reasonably heat managed loadouts, plenty of ammo, and efficient use of weight-saving components.

If that equals munchy to you, then I'm sorry, but I think it's reasonable.

Edited by CYBRN4CR (02/14/10 04:33 PM)
Karagin
02/14/10 07:13 AM

Hey if having all armor, no heat issues and uber amounts of ammo is fun for you great. Don't be surprised when folks point out that it is munchy and all the hallmarks of a power gamer.

Take my advice post these at the sites I sent you and see what kind of response you get.
Karagin

CYBRN4CR
02/14/10 07:41 AM

I'm not surprised. I'm well prepared as you can see.

And if I'm a power gamer, well, so be it. Just trying to breathe some new life into designs that I thought needed it.

Again, you don't have to play Battletech by my rules if it doesn't suit you. In the end, it is just my way of appreciating this Battletech universe of ours.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5494

Contact Admins Sarna.net