Nova Prime (Custom)

Pages: 1
CYBRN4CR
02/12/10 07:55 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
These next series of threads examine some of my redesigned 3050 Clan mechs, and their potential utility among the Clans.

This thread examines my redesigned Nova.

Stats are shown in MegaMek condensed style to reduce clutter.

Code:
Nova Prime (Custom)
50 tons Clan TW

Movement: 6/9/6
Engine: 300 XL
Heat Sinks: 21 [42]

Internal: 83 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 169/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)
HD: 3 9
CT: 16 24 ( 8)
RT: 12 16 ( 8)
LT: 12 16 ( 8)
RA: 8 16
LA: 8 16
RL: 12 24
LL: 12 24

ER Medium Laser [LA] 5 Heat
ER Medium Laser [RA] 5 Heat

ECM Suite [HD]

Carrying Capacity:
One battle armor squad

BV: 2,510 Cost: 13,108,125 Cbills

I think it's pretty good. Certainly much better than the original.

Edited by CYBRN4CR (02/13/10 01:45 AM)
Karagin
02/12/10 10:20 AM

Wow...again what is with cramming all these into one post?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
02/12/10 11:47 AM

They are powerful, but they do not fit clan ideals of warfare.
CYBRN4CR
02/12/10 05:54 PM

Alright, you won. I changed it.

Edited by CYBRN4CR (02/13/10 01:41 AM)
CYBRN4CR
02/12/10 08:39 PM

Thanks for the compliment, man. I appreciate it.

Now as for the Clan ideals of warfare, I don't think having heat/weight/and space efficient designs with enough ammo to last beyond a few encounters is against Clan ideals. In fact, it makes them better invaders if you ask me. If your mech only has ammo for a few shots of a particular weapon, in the end it's temporary firepower. Barely of use in trials, but not in any sort of actual battle scenario.

Now if I was a Clanner, I wouldn't mind having a heat-efficient, fully armored, well loaded mech. It gives that added success factor that leads to greater warriors, and more effective campaigns against the Inner Sphere. Nothing wrong with that.
Zandel_Corrin
02/13/10 05:39 AM

The problem you face with re-designing clan designs is that before they came back to the inner sphere the clan method of 'warfare' was to conduct trials in which one on one fighting was most often the case.

They wanted designs that could defeat there enemy within seconds and in the case that the enemy was dead in that time or they were then heat wasn't as big an issue.

Things (and thus there designs) changed with the invasion.

Also i hate to say it but the designs are less a way of fighting and more a way to give the IS a chance during the invasion. Why do you think that clan designs have less armour than most IS equivalents? So the inner sphere could stand up to them... if they were well rounded designs than the IS would have lost Terra in the first waves!

Now personally i agree with you and would not have made them like hey are... but i can say the same for most IS pre-3070 designs as well.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CYBRN4CR
02/14/10 06:37 AM

Well, first off, thanks for agreeing with me. I always found it odd original Clan mechs were given so many flaws until I came to the same conclusion (see my response in the Summoner thread). They make NO sense from any military standpoint (Hey! Let's charge into enemy territory with weak armor, very little ammo, and loadouts that cannot be fully appreciated because they dangerously overheat. Stupid, am I right?) So instead of simply accepting this, I said "why not?" and began fixing the weaknessess of each design. Thus, my series of redesigned Clan mechs.

Plus, no one really bats an eye toward Inner Sphere refits/redesigns, and neither do I. Why? Because all these original designs weren't the best they possibly could be! If this was true from the start, there would not be any need for redesigns (clear example: the original Ostscout and ComStar's fully upgraded one). This goes back to my point. The original Clan mechs have never been challenged since their introduction. This is what I hope to accomplish with these redesigns.

I do see where the Clans are coming from (after having played as them, and reading up on their culture, etc). But like I said to Karagin in my Mad Dog thread, my ideas are not incompatible with the Clan's battle philosophy. In fact, they support it by enhancing their mechs effective firepower, and avoiding needless waste and death by giving their mechs max (or close to max) armor.

Now if some Clan warriors have a deathwish, they can go right ahead. At least this way, they can take out more opponents with these mechs before going BOOM.
CYBRN4CR
02/14/10 05:12 PM

Wow. Just noticed noone really commented on this design.

I think it's a good redesign for the Nova Prime because its speed is increased, and its armor was maxed while still allowing for 8 of its original 12 ER med lasers and enough heatsinks to fire them all constantly, which is one more than the original can. Finally, to guard against missiles and electronic equipment, it has an ECM suite, rounding out the design.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5380

Contact Admins Sarna.net