Classic Battletech Designer

Pages: 1
Kestanen
02/22/10 06:52 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Im starting to get into this wonderfull game, but im tring to find either premade mech for the game or a designer that will let me get some made. Any help would be great.. TY

Rob
CYBRN4CR
02/22/10 09:57 PM

Well, there can be endless discussions about you should pick this designer or that designer, but here is a list of the good ones.

HMPro: Official designer for Battletech. Costs a bit, but may have some features that are useful.

Solaris7 Skunk Works: Free designer with a lot of good stuff from the recent sourcebooks. Very useful if you are on a budget and want to work with all the newer and cooler stuff.

The Drawing Board: A free but older designer that is still useful. Has ability to factor specialized targeting and tracking systems and LAMs which SSW does not.

Google all of these and see which one works best for you!

As for premade designs, what type of mech do you want? An older one? A newer one? A light mech? An assault? A sniper, or a brawler? Ask yourself these questions and be more specific in your reply. Also you can take a look at some TROs, they usually list designs that are current for the published year.
Prince_of_Darkness
02/22/10 11:03 PM

Right here, pal:

http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

It is the free, most up to date battlemech designer. Since it runs in Java, you only need it's latest version (no issues with operating system, here) and can export the files of the 'mechs you make into many formats.

Download it and give it a whirl.
Tripod
02/22/10 11:20 PM

I preffer pen and paper myself. : ) Can be a bit overwhelming for some people.
TBA
Karagin
02/23/10 05:29 AM

Go to www.heavymetalpro.com there you can order the OFFICIAL and APPROVED mech, vehicle, aero, battlearmor and protomech design programs and you will also get a ton of folks very willing to help you out.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
02/23/10 01:54 PM

Quote:

Go to www.heavymetalpro.com there you can order the OFFICIAL and APPROVED mech, vehicle, aero, battlearmor and protomech design programs and you will also get a ton of folks very willing to help you out.

For Pete's sake, calm down.
Zandel_Corrin
02/23/10 06:11 PM

Honestly you should go with all of the above and use what you need from each...

Sure HMP is official but TDB has been a great program and still has all older designs. It's not being improved upon anymore tho (as far as i know anyway).

SSW is still free and still being improved upon (at least i think it is...) so if your on a budget that could be best...

If your just after ready made designs for the game tho... I'd suggest looking into buying the Tech Read Outs (books) for the game. The older ones are still very useful and most are still 100% current.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
LostInSpace
02/23/10 09:31 PM

Thought I'd join up after a reading a few of these threads...

PoD is incorrect on a few things (sorry, buddy...).

SSW is not used by CGL to do official Record Sheets (although Skyhigh from S7.com says they did a bunch at GenCon for tournament play last year), they use MegaMekLab (which does funny armor circles, IMO). They may have used SSW for a design or two, but we don't provide all the unit types yet. They do not use the older HMP 5 anymore for recordsheets, AFAIK.

SSW will _export_ to HTML, TXT, MegaMek, has a pseudo Battletech CCG card generator (not being worked on ATM), and a "chat format" (super shortened). You can also export the TXT format directly to your computer's clipboard for easy posting in forums.

SSW will _import_ from HMP, and that's it, although we have aspirations to import from MegaMek at some point (and before any HMP fans get mad, that code was from MegaMek, and originally from some other open source code, and simply altered for our style of loading. Get mad at them). When importing from HMP we have to make some concessions (L2 designs are flagged as Advanced Rules because they may include Arrow IV's, etc...) It also cannot import your custom weapons, nor can it import a lot of older equipment from books before Tech Manual. Most of that equipment got replaced in Tactical Operations anyway.

SSW was designed from the ground-up to use only Tech Manual (or later) books for its equipment and rules. We stay as up-to-date as possible. That means that you will have to wait until Interstellar Operations comes out before LAMs are programmed because we have to wait for the new rules.

SSW is not "finished" software, we're still in an "open beta" development stage. That being said, we also try to fix any problems as soon as possible, usually within one or two releases. You can reach us on http://www.ClassicBattletech.com and http://www.solaris7.com in one of the dedicated threads. You can even join our Google Group (Solaris Skunk Werks, how inventive...) or email me directly with issues.

If anybody does decide to use our software, we would greatly appreciate input and try our best to answer any and all questions or concerns that come our way. If you don't want to use our software, then don't.
Canopian, Rim Worlder, Oregonian...
A true son of the Periphery.
Karagin
02/23/10 11:54 PM

HMPro IS being worked on, Rick has real life to deal with, if some can't handle that and wait for the HMP6 then that is up to them, but bashing HMPro and Rick isn't the way to either.
Karagin

LostInSpace
02/24/10 12:19 AM

Quote:

HMPro IS being worked on, Rick has real life to deal with, if some can't handle that and wait for the HMP6 then that is up to them, but bashing HMPro and Rick isn't the way to either.

I don't see any bad words in this thread regarding Rick or HMP6, do you? Moreover, no one in this thread has stated that HMP6 is not coming out.
Karagin
02/24/10 12:32 AM

PoD has made it clear he is not in favor of HMP and he has also made it clear in HIS opinion that since HMP has not been updated it is a dead item.

He will not listen to the facts NOR will he go over to the HMP sight and actually read what Rick has posted about why things are behind schedule. Read the thread again and you see, that every time I recommend HMP he is quick to jump and tell us all about any issues or that it is not updated etc...

I have tried SSW, I am not impressed with it, it is not user friendly, nor is it easy to setup, to many folders. I am sticking with HMP, and I can wait for the next version. I do find it a little upsetting how quick folks are to say HMP is dead and jump on another program and I also find it rude that folks at CBT have used a non-official program in an official way, but that is my opinion on the matter.

So take what you want from it.
Karagin

LostInSpace
02/24/10 12:43 AM

Quote:

He will not listen to the facts NOR will he go over to the HMP sight and actually read what Rick has posted about why things are behind schedule. Read the thread again and you see, that every time I recommend HMP he is quick to jump and tell us all about any issues or that it is not updated etc...

Perhaps it's because you are so reactionary on the issue?

Quote:

I have tried SSW, I am not impressed with it, it is not user friendly, nor is it easy to setup, to many folders. I am sticking with HMP, and I can wait for the next version.

Then by all means do so. Me coming here to clear up some mis-statements I had seen does not, in any way, constitute me forcing you to use my program. For the record, the reason I decided to program my own Mech designer is the same reason you state that you will not use mine. Having no demo to try and not wanting to pirate Rick's software, all I have to go from is the, frankly, unappealing screenshots. But that is my opinion.

Quote:

I do find it a little upsetting how quick folks are to say HMP is dead and jump on another program and I also find it rude that folks at CBT have used a non-official program in an official way, but that is my opinion on the matter.

Well, when TPTB over at CGL are looking for a way to generate new record sheets quickly using their new rules, and HMP5 cannot provide, they use the next best thing (in this case, MegaMekLab). HMP6 may not be dead but the release date is nowhere in sight, which is most likely the reason that some over on the CBT forums is claiming it dead.

Edited by LostInSpace (02/24/10 12:44 AM)
Zandel_Corrin
02/24/10 06:55 AM

Quote:

Um, Karagin,

I never said one way or the other about HMP...
And i never bashed it other than the cost vs free software...

So once again i'd suggest a mix of the lot (if you can afford HMP, if not a mix of the others).
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Prince_of_Darkness
02/24/10 10:56 AM

Quote:

PoD has made it clear he is not in favor of HMP and he has also made it clear in HIS opinion that since HMP has not been updated it is a dead item.

I have tried SSW, I am not impressed with it, it is not user friendly, nor is it easy to setup, to many folders. I am sticking with HMP, and I can wait for the next version. I do find it a little upsetting how quick folks are to say HMP is dead and jump on another program and I also find it rude that folks at CBT have used a non-official program in an official way, but that is my opinion on the matter.

So take what you want from it.

Karagin
02/24/10 12:25 PM

And if defending something and someone who has done a lot for all of us as far as providing a service and the support is being overzealous hey I am sorry, if the folks want to complain and whine, maybe they should be adult enough to do so to Rick, instead of sitting on another board and doing it.

I am glad you came and made an effort to clear things up. Kudos. Meanwhile the point still stands yours' is not official and that needs to be made 100% clear to everyone. And some do not understand that part.

As for ANY of the powers that be using something else to get new mechs sheets is wrong in what it does to muddy the waters, but that like a lot of others things is there call. And if having real life cause issues or force one to stop doing something is going have the masses makes claims with NO PROOF, then really some need to do a lot of self checking of their own.

HMP5 can provide a lot with the simple use of the custom weapons editor and a little effort. And I say again, if some folks can't wait or voice their opinions/problems or dislikes to the man himself then maybe they need to get a better take on how things actually do work and stop thinking they have to have something right now and allow the man to work on it and give us the best he can.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
02/24/10 01:16 PM

Karagin
02/24/10 01:42 PM

The cost of the programs is as much as new DVD or CD, for the most part, you get a lot of support from Rick and the rest of the folks are HMP website and forums, 99% of them go out of their way to be helpful and at the same time offer up their own designs and suggestions all for free. The support normally comes free, MOST places charge for their tech support and the part they have for free isn't normally all that helpful.

Rick talks to folks on the boards, he doesn't just sit back and let others do all the work. My comments are not aimed at you or anyone in particular, they are aimed at the folks who are so quick to write off HMP just because Rick hasn't given them everything they want on a silver platter. I hate to point out but up until someone came up with the original MAC version of Mech and vehicle maker, which FASA tried to sell only to find out that 99% of the world didn't use MACs, along came Mech Works, fun program, all for free...then other programs popped up, meanwhile most folks were still using pencil and paper and calaulator or a spreadsheet on the computer.

The Drawing Board came along as did Rick's programs, folks used them, each worked well enough, then Rick got the support of FASA, thus all of the other designer programs became things folks had but rarely used, I have a lot of the freebie programs, don't use them anymore but I have them, I also have all but the HM-Map. Not sure why I haven't gotten that one, will here before to long, but the point is for some to tell us something is dead with no proof other then "well it has not been updated and the sites doesn't give us a date" is wrong. As said below if they have an issue with how or why Rick has or has not done something, then they need to take it up with him and not post falsehoods on other boards or even this one, they should be adult enough to take their issues to the source and ask Rick why or why not. Doing anything else is nothing more then baseless attacks.
Karagin

Karagin
02/24/10 01:43 PM

Quote:

I preffer pen and paper myself. : ) Can be a bit overwhelming for some people.

True, though it does come in handy when one finds themselves in places that do not have power or computers...
Karagin

Lafeel
02/24/10 06:15 PM

Personally I use SSW right now, but I have every intention of getting HMP6 when it comes out.
Branam
02/25/10 07:28 PM

Came across this thread looking for a solution.
I'm considering starting out with SSW for now until HMP6.0 is released.
Thanks for the info!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10629

Contact Admins Sarna.net