Dumb question

Pages: 1
Jon
04/03/10 09:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So my friend and I have been playing Battletech sinec the early 90's. We were talking the other day and realized that neither of us really knew what the purpose of the sensors in the mech cockpit were used for, especially when you could add targeting systems and other pieces of equipment to your mech...so does anyone out there know what the sensors are good for? I know that when you hit them with 2 criticals you can't fire any weapons, so they must be tied into the mech's weapon systems, but what else are they good for...
CrayModerator
04/03/10 11:57 AM

Quote:

So my friend and I have been playing Battletech sinec the early 90's. We were talking the other day and realized that neither of us really knew what the purpose of the sensors in the mech cockpit were used for, especially when you could add targeting systems and other pieces of equipment to your mech...so does anyone out there know what the sensors are good for? I know that when you hit them with 2 criticals you can't fire any weapons, so they must be tied into the mech's weapon systems, but what else are they good for...

The cockpit sensors are the basic sensors (radar, thermal, optical, etc.), targeting, and tracking systems. Without those sensors, the MechWarrior is reduced to squinting through his little armored windows and trying to get ungainly turrets (the Mech's arms) and torso-mounted weapons to line up with a target despite all the bouncing and heaving of a moving 'Mech. The "sensor" critical slots do the work of turning simple joystick-and-crosshairs aiming by the MechWarrior into all the calculations and limb motion needed to aim the weapons.

You can add supplementary systems with much better sensor performance (Beagle Active Probe, the equivalent of a spy plane's sensors compared to a normal military jet's sensors), or improved targeting systems (Artemis, NARC, Targeting Computer, etc.) But the sensor critical slots in the head are the basics those other systems build on.

You can also reduce sensors. A WorkMech's cockpit is a study in what happens when you remove the critical military-grade sensors and targeting systems: you can't shoot squat.

For details on the basic services provided by the BattleMech's sensors, I'd recommend picking up the CBT:Companion or TechManual, both of which provide elaborate looks into a BattleMech's cockpit functions.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
05/31/10 12:31 AM

I've recently dove haed first into the Battletech Fiction. These novels do a great job of showing what sensors are capable of and how important they are. Really enjoying the reading as I have no one to game with...
TBA
Hythos
06/02/10 07:14 PM

Beyond the normal scope of sensors are a few benefits to specific manufacturers' equipment - IE - the Garret D2j sensors... Back in 1989(?) or so, I recall seeing that the Garret D2j sensor-suite provides a -1/-2 (1-2point bonus) to targetting Jumping/air-borne targets (ie, Rifleman, Jaggermech, ect)... While I'm 98% certain it was Canon, I won't remember which manual it was in, but it may have also stated something of the Rifleman's search-lights providing a bonus at night-time combat too (L2? rules?) as normal.

Also, I think one of the original Solaris box-set mechs' description commented a bonus to its' sensors when in enclosed / subterranian environments.

All that has been tucked under 8 years of school and many more years of working, so I apologize that I can't be more specific.
CrayModerator
06/02/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

Beyond the normal scope of sensors are a few benefits to specific manufacturers' equipment - IE - the Garret D2j sensors... Back in 1989(?) or so, I recall seeing that the Garret D2j sensor-suite provides a -1/-2 (1-2point bonus) to targetting Jumping/air-borne targets (ie, Rifleman, Jaggermech, ect)... While I'm 98% certain it was Canon, I won't remember which manual it was in, but it may have also stated something of the Rifleman's search-lights providing a bonus at night-time combat too (L2? rules?) as normal.

MaxTech offers some special sensor bonuses, which is probably what you're remembering, as does Strategic Operations.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/02/10 11:35 PM

HE could be talking about the old Tactical Handbook and the sensor rules that were in there.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
06/03/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

HE could be talking about the old Tactical Handbook and the sensor rules that were in there.

IIRC, the Tactical Handbook had generic rules (thermal sensors, electromagnetic sensors, etc.), not bonuses for the specific targeting equipment (Garret dj2, etc.) that Hythos mentioned. However, if someone cracks open their Tactical Handbook, I stand ready for correction.

Karagin
06/05/10 07:44 AM

Starting on Pg 45 of THB it talks about several different sensors and you get charts and other items on how they interact in the board game.

These charts suggest bonuses and such to allow you to use the sensors listed to engage enemy targets and if something happens to your sensors what the damage can translate as. I believe this was the step forward for the other sensor rules and ideas, but they don't seem that generic IMHO.

I have seen in third party pubs, like BATTLETECHNOLOGY and the one time official FASA magazine STARDATE things given sensor names (the brand names as found on mechs etc...) and what they could do or not do, based off the old fluff comments about mechs have these amazing targetting computer etc...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6650

Contact Admins Sarna.net