IR/Magscan: Should Stealth Systems Affect These?

Pages: 1
CYBRN4CR
04/10/10 12:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey, all.

While browsing the double blind rules in TacOps, I noticed that while stealth systems cut visual spotting ranges in half or a quarter, and make it harder for other sensors to detect the unit mounting them, IR/Magscan sensors aren't affected by any stealth systems.

The long range for both of these detection methods go to 30hexes, so standard engagement distance. They even go further than standard mech radar (24 hexes) and have a comparable range to the Beagle Probe (36 hexes). So naturally if stealth systems hinder virtually all other detection systems, I would naturally go for IR/Magscan since they are not affected by stealth.

Now I know there are special rules for IR/Magscans: IR scanners detect hot mechs easier, and if they are not hot they cannot be detected. Magscans detect heavier mechs easier, and can detect units underwater and in dense jungles regardless of LOS so long as LOS isn't blocked by a cliff or a building, but cannot detect units 20 tons or less and is useless in heavy industrial sectors. However, I'm not sure if their drawbacks balance out their impressive stealth neutralizing ability.

I would think any stealth systems that have heat baffles (null sig, stealth, void) would be registered as cooler than usual (much like how null sig makes heat-seeking missiles think the mech is cooler) on an IR scanner.

As for magscan, it feels too good. Perhaps if the range was closer to seismic sensors (maybe 15 hexes?) then it might make more sense.

But I don't know. What do you guys think? Are they fine as they are?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4830

Contact Admins Sarna.net