ISHG T-IT-N(1/2/3/X) John Grand Titan

Pages: 1
CYBRN4CR
06/07/10 07:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Continued from the Various Upgraded Designs thread.

This thread examines the Inner Sphere Honor Guard's Grand Titan, and its use from 3058 to 3081 and beyond.

History:

After suffering heavy losses and losing Gen. Alexander (the old CO) to Clan Jade Falcon forces on La Grave, the ISHG retreated to its home in Caselton to lick its wounds. While others were suffering, one person was gloating. That person was John, a Col. who has been around since the unit was formed in 3039. Vying for the CO position for years, he has attempted numerous times to oust the former CO Alexander. His ultimate plan came into being when the Clans invaded.

Using Alexander's honor against him, John led the unit to the Clan front-line, expecting Alex to be killed during the fighting while he stayed behind in the dropship. While Alex didn't get killed, and was taken bondsman instead, John considered the plan a success, and prepared to take control of the unit. However, he was thwarted by Michael (also a Col. who has been around since the beginning) who was suspicious of his actions, and in a bold counter, put Alex's son Jonas in command.

John has since attempted many underhanded ways to obtain the CO position for himself, and he is still under suspicion to this day. However, no one can doubt the surprising effectiveness of his underhanded tactics on the battlefield.

As a veteran from 3039, John knows the value of long range immolating with LRMs, and his Grand Titan reflects that. Using the -N10 as a base, John had the XL engine replaced with a standard 300 engine for survivability and space in the torso to switch out the twin srms and lone LRM 15 for massive twin LRM20s with Artemis and plenty of ammo. Backing up the LRMs is an ER Large laser and a trio of ER Mediums instead of the twin large pulses. Jump jets, a C3 slave, and a TAG laser round out the design.

Code:
Grand Titan T-IT-N1 John

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 3058
Cost: 12,048,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,435

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.25 km/h
Maximum Speed: 53.75 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
2 LRM-20s w/ Artemis IV FCS
1 ER Large Laser
3 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 C3 Computer (Slave)
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 152 points 10.00
Engine: Fusion Engine 300 19.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 1 LL, 1 RL 6.00
Heat Sinks: Double 13(26) 3.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LA
Gyro: Standard Gyro 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 304 17.00
Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 6 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
CASE Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 50
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 21 34
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER Large Laser RA 12 2 5.00
3 ER Medium Lasers LA 15 3 3.00
LRM-20 RT 6 5 10.00
Artemis IV FCS RT - 1 1.00
LRM-20 LT 6 5 10.00
Artemis IV FCS LT - 1 1.00
C3 Computer (Slave) CT 0 1 1.00
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (Artemis) (18) RT - 3 3.00
@LRM-20 (Artemis) (18) LT - 3 3.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 10 Points: 24
3j 3 4 3 0 4 2 Structure: 8
Special Abilities: TAG, C3S, CASE, SRCH, ES, SOA, IF 2

When the rest of the unit had its first upgrade in 3062, John had his mech upgraded as well. He removed the Artemis and ammo to equip the Semi-Guided ammo the unit had recently acquired, and he replaced his large laser and one medium laser for an iNarc launcher he was able to get off the black market. Some say he purchased it from the WoB through those channels, but either way, John uses the new weapon's Nemesis munitions to great effect on the battlefield.

Code:
Grand Titan T-IT-N2 John

Production Year: 3062
Cost: 11,954,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,293

Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
2 LRM-20s
1 iNarc Launcher
2 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 C3 Computer (Slave)

Heat Sinks: Double 11(22) 1.00
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 304 17.00
Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 6 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 50
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 21 34
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

2 ER Medium Lasers RA 10 2 2.00
iNarc Launcher LA 0 3 5.00
LRM-20 RT 6 5 10.00
LRM-20 LT 6 5 10.00
C3 Computer (Slave) CT 0 1 1.00
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
@iNarc (Nemesis) (12) LA - 3 3.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (24) RT - 4 4.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (24) LT - 4 4.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 10 Points: 23
3j 1 1 0 0 4 0 Structure: 8
Special Abilities: TAG, C3S, INARC, CASE, SRCH, ES, SOA, LRM 1/2/2, IF 2

Keeping the pattern with the rest of the unit's mechs, the next upgrade gives the Grand Titan Stealth armor for valuable protection. Strangely, John was the only one who opted not to have a small cockpit. However, he had his jump jets removed in order to mount the system and one more medium laser.

Code:
Grand Titan T-IT-N3 John

Production Year: 3070
Cost: 12,948,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,456

Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Stealth Armor w/ CASE
Armament:
2 LRM-20s
1 iNarc Launcher
3 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 Guardian ECM Suite

Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sink Locations: 1 RA
Armor: Stealth Armor AV - 307 19.50
Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 54
Center Torso (rear) 8
L/R Torso 21 34
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

3 ER Medium Lasers RA 15 3 3.00
LRM-20 RT 6 5 10.00
LRM-20 LT 6 5 10.00
Guardian ECM Suite CT 0 2 1.50
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (24) RT - 4 4.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (24) LT - 4 4.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 10 Points: 25
3 2 2 0 0 4 0 Structure: 8
Special Abilities: ECM, STL, TAG, INARC, CASE, SRCH, ES, SOA, LRM 1/2/2, IF 2

When the ISHG was able to capture and produce working Void Sigs and Angel ECMs, all the units mechs were upgraded to the max with other perfected technology to create a force that can strike virtually undetected. Unfortunately, the Jihad ended before they could be put to use against the WoB. However, they served the unit well in the years that followed.

Here is the final upgrade.

Code:
Grand Titan T-IT-NX John

Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F
Production Year: 3081
Cost: 27,902,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,669

Chassis: Unknown Composite Structure
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Light Fusion Engine
Jump Jets: Unknown
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
2 LRM-20s
1 iNarc Launcher
2 ER Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 Angel ECM

Internal Structure: Composite Structure 152 points 5.00
Engine: Light Fusion Engine 300 14.50
Heat Sink Locations: 1 RA
Gyro: Compact Gyro 4.50
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 304 19.00
CASE II Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA 4.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 50
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 21 34
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

2 ER Medium Lasers RA 10 2 2.00
LRM-20 RT 6 5 10.00
LRM-20 LT 6 5 10.00
Angel ECM CT 0 2 2.00
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (12) RA - 2 2.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (18) RT - 3 3.00
@LRM-20 (Semi-G) (18) LT - 3 3.00
Void Signature System * 10 7 0.00

* The Void Signature System occupies 1 slot in every location except the HD.

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 10 Points: 27
3j 1 1 0 0 4 0 Structure: 5
Special Abilities: MAS, TAG, AECM, INARC, CASEII, SRCH, ES, SOA, LRM 1/2/2, IF 2

I know I took a lot of liberties with this mech, but if you guys see any room for improvement, feel free to let me know.
Almighty
06/08/10 03:31 PM

Well, the thing I don't like about this configuration and that's my opinion on tactics is that...
You have a slow longrange mech which is perfectly ok, but you waste 6 hexes of range when you need to use the TAG or Narcs. Especially, when no other faster mech has them to rely on. Well, you could use Swarm/Inferno munition at longrange and finish at TAG/Narc range, though.
CYBRN4CR
06/08/10 06:09 PM

I see your point and maybe I should explain my position a little when it comes to this dude.

The TAG really is not there for his own missiles. It is for the Homing Arrow IV ASFs that would be patrolling the region. I have TAG on virtually every mech to still be able to rain A4 death on someone even if I'm down to the last mech. Plus compared to the other pilots in Ostscouts, Griffins or Black Knights, this guy's gunnery is pretty good, so if he can TAG anything there is a high chance of it succeeding.

Now his Nemesis Narcs is again not for his missiles but more as a battlefield chaos weapon. Swarms are close, but nothing quite instills as much chaos as having the enemy's homing missiles (including my own) go to one target of his malicious choosing.

Sure, the mech hit can thrash around to get it off, but that also keeps that mech from doing much else that turn, and redirects missile fire until the pod is off.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, though!
Almighty
06/08/10 08:26 PM

I see. Thanks for explaining. Yeah, I realize now that you got TAGs everywhere intentionally. :lol:

How does your battle line and/or troop organization/setup looks like? I only saw numbers on your army page sometime back. (?url)

Well, I haven't setup a big army yet nor played at such scales so I would be interested. I will try to setup one for fun soon though. I dunno if I'll ever play, but it's a seducing idea. I have enough designs to draw from but maybe this will give me new perspectives.

It might be a good idea to create a dedicated page or thread for this.
CYBRN4CR
06/08/10 11:04 PM

Well, here is my unit page with history and a generic breakdown of units.

But for a more complete idea of how I break my force down, here is the lineup:

Basic Level II:

2 Ostscouts - piloted by my Green 5/5-5/6 pilots. In double-blind play, I would generally place these guys in the best spotting place and keep them away from battle as their gunnery isn't too great. Although since they have a specialty in TAG, they can be called upon to TAG stuff in a pinch.

2 Griffins - piloted by my Regular 4/4-4/5 pilots. These guys are the forward presence, tagging anything they can, sniping with their ERPPC or hiding behind cover and raining LRMs upon tagged enemies.

2 Black Knights - piloted by my Veteran 3/3-3/4 pilots. These are the Level II leaders, generally Sgt. Major or 2nd Lieut in rank. They are primarily snipers and taggers. They can either hang back and fire, or come in close and TAG stuff for the Griffins LRMs/A4.

Basic Officer Level II:

2 Griffins - piloted by Elite 2/3 Lieutenants. Their role is pretty much the same as the regular pilots, save they are better at what they do and oversee one lesser Level II respectively.

2 Black Knights - piloted by Elite 2/2 Captains. Their role is special as they act as the bodyguards for the higher officers of the unit, so they are more likely to get in your face if necessary, but in general they operate the same as the veteran pilots. Each of these pilots also oversee one lesser Level II.

2 Officers. These vary depending on who is commanding. But in general, the pairings are thus:

1st Lt. Col. John - Grand Titan (custom)
2nd Capt. Deuce - Executioner A (modified)
~~~
1st (CO) Col. Jonas - Victor (custom)
2nd Mechwarrior Col. Alex - Summoner (modified)
~~~
1st (XO) Lt. Col. Michael - Highlander (custom)
2nd Maj. Eliz - Phoenix Hawk LAM (custom)

With my officers, generally there would be a first in command, and second in command for each battalion. These are appropriately marked 1st and 2nd. The first in command oversees the whole battalion, while the second in command oversees the officer company. The CO of the company is Jonas with Michael being his XO as Jonas relies on him for reliable advice.

Here would be the breakdown on a battalion scale:

2 Regular Companies = 4 Basic Level IIs + 4 A4 ASFs
1 Officer Company = 1 Basic Level II + 1 Officer Level II + 2 A4 ASFs
1 A4 Dropship

Now my force grows from one battalion to its current three by around 3070. Before, the officer company was different in that the officer Level II had all six officers, and the lesser Level II had three Lieutenants, and three Captains.

That's how I run my RCU - very specialized.

Now, I am a sniper/artillery fan. So I'm sure your force will be different based on your preferences. In general, a good mix of close in, long range, scout, artillery, and combined arms units are a good place to start. And perhaps a bit more random in terms of mech choice so that your force doesn't have to depend on a few mechs and feels more natural and unpredictable.
Almighty
06/09/10 08:46 AM

Oh, I do personally prefer sniping/artillery. It's just I also believe in an all able force.

So able to to take on the brunt of battle is a point of consideration for me.
If you just fight longrange only you are very specialized and may not be able to use that on every battlefield. The enemy will adjust. Probably using aeros. In any case, the adavantage may not hold long.
On the other side if you got close in fighters you could disrupt enemy effort on any level or ground and you actually take positions right away. In the caes of longrange it would become a battle of trenches and attrition.

Well, that's my thought. I'm not sure about the mix, but I guess dividing into mission related units on all levels would provide enough reserves, depth and options on all levels.

And I think putting greens on langrange missile elements and the better pilots in the close combat elements would increase overall performance. But this is just my opinion. If it actually gives better results I dunno.
CYBRN4CR
06/09/10 03:00 PM

I deeply appreciate your thoughts, and I will definitely take them into consideration as I am still playtesting my lineup.

Right now I'm putting the force up against another twice its number and close to triple its weight. So far, things are good, but results are slow.

I do see your point about the attrition and lack of dedicated lineholders. Certainly against players who love to charge their opponents or use other tactics I may not do so well with. It is a weakness I accept as necessary for a specialized sniper force.

Maybe you or other players would be up to a few matches once I'm done playtesting?
Almighty
06/09/10 05:37 PM

I would like to, but I'm not as proficient with Megamek as I would like to. Its manual controls are too unfriendly and i can't always get moves to be as I wanted. Aero control is the worse.
I get strange errors about moves still being left despite the numbers shown. *shrug*
CYBRN4CR
06/09/10 07:01 PM

Ah. I decipered it. You have to accelerate before you make any moves (if you are at 0) and it drops the next turn so if you accelerate 1 point you are allowed 16 points of movement on ground maps. If you accelerate 2 points, you get 32, then the next turn 16, then you have to accelerate again.

It's slowly being fixed. I submitted a fix to MM allowing aeros/dropships to fire artillery as normal and not be constrained by AtG rules, and it was accepted.

It seems if you know anything about Java, then the dev is more likely to fix the issue. I hope I can get better at Java myself so I can help make MM more accurate to current rules/erratta. Maybe when MM is bug free, perhaps then Karagin-zilla might not lambast MM so much.
Karagin
06/10/10 12:12 AM

Nope. Since the game tried to simulate things and fails at that, it is NOT the board game thus it will not have all the interactive moments and given that the 'bots' are predictable over time, were as a person is not going to be as predictable and you can't mod or tweak a human player thus playing another person, face to face makes for a better game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
06/10/10 02:04 AM

We know, Karagin.

We know.

And yet, I chose not to shut out the possibility of MM being a convenient option because as long as there are developers working on MM, it will get better. And for a platform that has networking ability, it has the right direction at least.

Now, your feelings of bots aside, if MM can allow two humans to play over the net on a board that can emulate all the rules out there for a standard combined arms game of Battletech, I think that would be an acceptable solution for most players. One that addresses time, distance, and resources. Of course there will be those who have custom rules and equipment that will not be able to appreciate the medium, in which case that's not a problem so long as private versions of MM can be produced just for them. It's not too hard to change parameters once you know how things work.

Who knows? It might be worth seeing.
Almighty
06/10/10 07:29 AM

I know the aeros have to accelerate, but I still get those errors too often. It may involve making turns but I tested that back and forth and still can't figure why. I wish speed could be set constant until you change it's values and so on.

I have the impression control command have a fixed sequence, but there is no listing about that. Once I choose among the available ones at the time I can't change back after seeing what are the next set of commands poping up. If the program would be more flexible in processing commands that wouldn't be a problem. I guess it wasn't designed with foresight but done step by step as things come. So changing this very basic functions now is probably out of the question. *sigh*

Yeah, bots aren't best there is, but as long as human and bots are not mixed in a game they are equally ballanced. So running test have to be either pure bots or human controlled.
CYBRN4CR
06/10/10 06:59 PM

Yeah, there is a lot of work that still needs to be done. But MM has potential. That's why I'm going to get better at Java so I can help with those issues.

And I totally agree with the bot vs bot, human vs human thing.
Almighty
06/10/10 09:44 PM

Actually, I know (somewhat) how to program in Java, just not enough to create such a program but enough to tweak or optimize algorithm. This program is too big to get to understand it all within weeks or months so that's probably all I could do. *shrug*
Streamlining the bot decision making algprithm would be a challenge I would like to try. :lol:
CYBRN4CR
06/11/10 10:15 AM

Well then get over there, man! I'm sure the devs (and players!) will appreciate any coding help you can give.

But while you're at it, there are a lot of rule updates and platform bugs that need to be hammered out first.

However, if you do work on the AI, give it an algorithm to use sprinting rules only when not in firing range of any unit, when getting to cover after the mech has been dealt 20 or more damage last turn and has not fallen, when darting from cover to cover to get a closer position, or when retreating after over 70% of the BV has been lost and the mech is still standing.
Almighty
06/12/10 08:16 AM

I will when I get to spare some more time.

Those are possible if the design has status flags and depending on how big action matrixes are if any. May not be possible without rewriting everything. -_-;
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8918

Contact Admins Sarna.net