Charging rules?

Pages: 1
Venom
06/15/10 12:11 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Did the charging rules change so that the charged unit is no longer displaced? I was playing the latest mega mek and when I charged neither unit was displaced. I was going to send a bug report but did not know if the rules had changed or not. If they have changed let me be the first to express my displeasure.
Karagin
06/15/10 03:57 PM

Mega Mek is not Battletech, it is it's own game system that uses the rules of Battletech. Best thing to do is buy a copy of the new core rule books, they are on sale at CGL and then you can have the up to date rule set and not need to rely on some one else's take on a rule set.

Also Mega Mek is a computer game, not a board, this question would be suited to the Computer game section of these boards. The two are not the same thing.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Venom
06/16/10 05:53 AM

If you paid any attention karagin you would know that I was asking a question about the boardgame rules. Not about megamek rules. That being said the two are one and the same. CBT rules are the rules that apply to megamek.

Love to buy more books but between house payment, car payment, truck payment, insurance, heat, electric, water, taxes, cellphone, cable, internet, gas, smokes, beer, shooting supplies, xbox live, food, saving for a cruise, my wife's new kitchen and other interests that take money, I try to limit myself to one every month or so. Right now it is sourcebooks, so why pay for a rulebook that I will never use? Pencil and dice take to much time, the dogs get in the way, and megamek is the same thing but way faster and I can play with friends in other states.

So question stands. Have they changed charging rules or is my copy of BMR:R still good?
Karagin
06/16/10 02:06 PM

Maybe you should read what you post:

Quote:

I was playing the latest mega mek

So tell me again how this computer game is the same as the board game?
Karagin

Zandel_Corrin
06/16/10 10:04 PM

Quote:

Did the charging rules change so that the charged unit is no longer displaced?

Irrespective of where this question came from it's in the board game forum so we must assume that it's in regards to the board game unless otherwise stated, which it wasn't.

I'd like to know the answer to this too btw.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Venom
06/17/10 02:46 AM

In all editions of the game the core rules are used. Opptional rules have been added with new editions as well as full integration of aerospace combat. Sometimes code gets messed up and some rules do not run as designed. That being said there have been cases where megamek was more up to date than I am when it comes to rules. One such example is the limit on how much heat a 'mech can build up due to external factors.

In short megamek is the striving to be the exact same game-and doing a damn fine job of it-but sometimes they miss something in a million plus lines of code and it is not exactly the same.
Tripod
06/17/10 04:14 AM

MMM kay...

Let's say I dont play megamek...

Does the latest ruleset displace the defender after a successful charge?

This board is inactive enough as it is, let's not bicker about symantics and enjoy ourselves...
TBA
Zandel_Corrin
06/17/10 08:05 PM

/agree
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Tripod
06/24/10 04:15 AM

If you enjoy bickering over symantics, it does not count in this case...
TBA
KitK
06/24/10 11:38 PM

Summarizing TW p.148

assuming a successful attack:

attacker gets the target's hex.

target is displaced via Unit Diplacement rules as if pushed.

if the terrain is prohibited, neither target or attacker is displaced, but every other effect is the same.

exception to prohibited terrain is when it is 2 levels lower, so I guess you can get pushed onto but not into it.

If that doesn't clear it up then maybe its something in the displacement rules.

KK
Venom
06/26/10 05:08 AM

The charge that I was doing would have displaced the target into a building. Would that be prohibited terrain?
KitK
06/27/10 12:13 AM

TW p151 addresses it, though not definitively. It says the building takes damage from the displaced mech as if the displaced mech had charged the building. So, the implication is that the building is damaged but not entered, so the mech doesn't move. In the charge rules a building is considered an "Unusual Target."

Someone else with TW might want to weigh in on this one.
Zandel_Corrin
06/27/10 07:37 PM

I think if you destroy the building with the damage you move there too but if not....
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Christopher_Perkins
06/27/10 11:24 PM

the mech is displaced into the same hex as the building...
but with the hexes (and buildings printed on the maps) being one third the scale of the Mech and building mineratures "entering the Hex" is not enough to rely on.

seams like the question of "where would a mech that has its back to a building wind up if it is displaced by a charge into the hex of the building if the CF of that Building or Section of the building is greater than the damage that the displaced mech could do if it charged the building" needs to be asked on the classicbattletech.com ask the PM board...
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Tripod
06/29/10 04:13 AM

My opinon...

Building/building hexes can be entered by mechs. If the building was 1 or 2 levels tall It might be treated as a hill and pushed on top of the building. If it was 3 levels or more taller, a mech can still walk through the building at will, correct? I'd think that the damage the building takes is from the mech entering it/on top of it... ?
TBA
Karagin
06/30/10 07:27 AM

Note though that the CF of the building would then need to be known and then one might want to check and see if there is a basement, nothing like finding out that you just dropped a level or two after ramming into a building.

Besides it would be better to punch the building, but again the CF of the building would need to be known for all of this to really work.
Karagin

Christopher_Perkins
07/01/10 04:18 PM

well.. in the case of someone being pushed backwards into a building... you don't really have a choice in the matter...
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11834

Contact Admins Sarna.net