Homebrew mechwarrior rules

Pages: 1
Landeraxe
06/24/10 02:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I love Battletech, but didn't care for the RPG (incomplete, overly complicated, not fun; IMHO). So I designed my own system with these goals:
A) to have it completely integrative with the table-top Batteltech rules, and
B) to be easy to make and play characters in the Battletech world.

The rules provide no data on the Batletech universe (the published RPG is excellent for that). They exist solely to provide a straightforward and functional RPG system. The rules are being tested weekly (and updated as often). Rules changes are posted Friday evenings.

Check them out at http://www.crucifictiongames.com/mechwarrior/index.htm

Feedback (of the constuctive kind) appreciated.
CrayModerator
06/24/10 08:24 PM

Which MW RPG are you referring to? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th edition? They're all significantly different rule sets.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Landeraxe
06/25/10 12:40 PM

I purchased the fisrt one back in the late 80's, and the latest one a few months ago. The first one struck me as incomplete. The second one seemed to me to be poorly organized and unclear.
CrayModerator
06/29/10 08:31 AM

If you have any suggestions on 4th edition, "A Time of War," including it's layout, there is an errata forum for BT products here:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?board=72.0

And fan input is being accepted here, though "A Time of War" comments are moot - input has been frozen as the book is going to its first printing. A thread for comments is open, though, and the BT Line Developer was responding to comments as late as June 24th.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?board=28.0

Please note the posting rules for both forums; specific, clearly stated issues that are easy to act upon are much preferred to meandering thoughts and blind solicitations. That said, input is obviously welcome, or those formal public forums would not exist.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Landeraxe
07/14/10 06:38 PM

I would only make three suggestions;

1) Make the character generation system outlined and placed in such a way that an experienced gamer who has otherwise not played a previous Mechwarrior RPG can open it up and make a character in five minutes.
To do this, have an outline of steps, and clearly defined rules for each step. Simplicity, although mentioned below, is critical here, but so is clarity and focus.

2) Make the Rules seamless with the table-top Battletech rules. They aren't the best rules, but they are simple, they work, and they are what the Mechwarrior rules are going to be working alongside.
They should be seamless. Don't have a different system trying to ride shotgun; it will be a major detraction.

3) Simplify. The strengths of Battletech are its novel theme and detailed background. The history is novelworthy, and Battletech has the best take on the concept of mecha so far (IMHO).
The rule system for Mechwarrior only needs to be a functional vehicle for this; not a complicated beast in its own right. Simple vehicles carry best; complicated ones break down. Simple rules allow for focus on story, plot, and action. Complicated rules detract from all of the above.

I'll keep looking at Mechwarrior RPG editions as they come out, but I'm not buying another one until it has met these three critical improvements. I look forward to seeing improvements!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6663

Contact Admins Sarna.net